Lathe Question

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by mac37, Jan 17, 2019.

1. mac37

mac37 Silver $$ Contributor

I'm looking at a 1980'e era Jet lathe. Great shape. The spindle mount is a 2 1/4"-8 TPI thread. My last lathe was. D1-5. Is there any downside to this mount for hobby gunsmithing? I see plenty of backplates available for making a spider. Any help is appreciated.

2. paperpuncher

paperpuncher Silver $$ Contributor

Be careful running in reverse chuck could back off spindle

Gun Smith, PatMiles and jackson1 like this.
  3. GenePoole

GenePoole

Can't speak for the Jet itself, but threaded spindles are OK IMHO.

That's what my Southbend 13 has for a spindle thread. Very common and not near so troublesome as some would like you to believe. I've never had a chuck or tool come loose braking or running in reverse.

I make spiders and cat's heads directly from round stock and thread it to fit the spindle. No need for a backplate unless you enjoy trying to weld/braze cast iron.

[​IMG]

4. mac37

Thanks. Great idea for a spider!

5. GenePoole

GenePoole

I made a three-plane cat's head too (for actions or short barrels)

[​IMG]

6. RWO

RWO

I have an 1988 Jet 13x36 with that same spindle thread. Never had a problem with chuck mounting. I routinely wind springs in reverse and never had a problem with a chuck loosening. Do not, however, use a VFD with electronic braking; always let it cost to a stop.

RWO

Gun Smith likes this.
  7. mac37

Thanks, here's what I'm looking at:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    simo hayha likes this.
  8. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Those old jets are good machines

9. carlsbad

carlsbad Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep. Gold $$ Contributor

Coincidentally I just bought a Jet 1336 pbd to have a 2nd machine in the shop. I'll be picking it up this weekend...

I like the belt drive smootheness and plan to use it mostly at high speeds for small jobs. Has a nice collet closer so it may be perpetually set up for collets.

Not sure I'd find it heavy enough for my primary gunsmithing lathe.

--Jerry

10. carlsbad

Picked up the lathe today. Made an error already---didn't take as-received photos. Bought from a guy who was a beginner, bought from a long time owner and didn't use it much, decided to go gearhead.

The long term owner must have prided himself in never cleaning it. Heavy coat of dried way oil on all surfaces. but he did use lots of oil and the ways and gibs look very, very nice. Lots of cleanup to do. Have gone through half a gallon of diesel fuel already.

Only thing it is missing is the thread dial so I'll be looking for one of those.

--Jerry

simo hayha and Dusty Stevens like this.
  11. Daveinjax

Daveinjax Silver $$ Contributor

Pictures or it doesn’t exist :)

12. carlsbad

They will come. I need a thread dial. Anyone got one for an old Taiwanese lathe laying around? 8 tpi lead screw, 32 tooth gear on the dial...thanks.

13. PatMiles

PatMiles Gold $$ Contributor

Gene,
    Using a "Cheese Balls" container for a chip guard has to be a sin! :D

14. GenePoole

GenePoole

It's really more of a coolant splash guard.

15. carlsbad

90% of the gunk has been removed....the last 10% may be the hardest. Previous owner built the tube steel stand with the built in tool chest which was a good selling point. --Jerry 20190121_195423.jpg

simo hayha, Daveinjax and boltfluter like this.
  16. boltfluter

boltfluter Gold $$ Contributor

Looks like you are getting there. That is a nice collect set up. Collects are great for small pieces and high speeds. Have fun.:D:D

Paul

17. 338 Mollett

338 Mollett

Get some phosphoric acid and that thing will clean up nicely .

18. jdh47

jdh47 Silver $$ Contributor

If you get a bottle of Super Clean degreaser from Walmart it will melt off the dried oil pretty well.

butchlambert likes this.
  19. Daveinjax

Daveinjax Silver $$ Contributor

Good looking machine ! That stand does make it really nice ! Is it a threaded nose ?

20. Pablo

Pablo Silver $$ Contributor

Wanted to point out that functionally the spiders in the the first few Pics. of this thread are probably functionally just fine, but the fact is, spiders with exposed screw heads are dangerous. They will grab you and eat you up. The thing to do is make the spider out of large diameter aluminum stock then counterbore the screw holes so they will clamp and be below the surface of the od of the spider. My old spider that looks like the two in the pics is in the scrap barrel and the two new one's I currently use are made like I described. Never got ate by the thing but had several near misses.