Lapua does not recommend re-annealing?

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by Dan S, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Dan S

Dan S J III:XVI Silver $$ Contributor

Hey all,

Was in Lapua’s website and for the 6.5 brass, they say they do not recommended Re-annealing their off the shelf factory annealed brass. Is their a reason for this? I know most on here anneal every time If I’m not wrong. So why does lapua say this and are they correct?

SPJ likes this.
  2. jds holler

jds holler Gold $$ Contributor

If ya think about it, everything that we reloaders do probably flies in the face of modern product safety recommendations. This may be the angle they are looking at. "Don't Modify Our Product". jd

3. rkittine

rkittine Gold $$ Contributor

Assume they mean do not reanneal before the FIRST FIRING and not don't anneal again later. You certainly can over Anneal.

Ledd Slinger, Zero333, Rogmay and 5 others like this.
  4. SPJ

SPJ Silver $$ Contributor

I ruined a third of a box.

5. daleboy

daleboy Silver $$ Contributor

Hotly debated subject,this should be good . Now that Lapua put in writing it suggests all the folks here that anneals are wrong.:) I guess all those heated arguments about it will go away? Maybe now we can get folks to believe human error plays the biggest role.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    mikegaiz likes this.
  6. grovey

grovey Silver $$ Contributor

This is only for "6.5" brass. It's that good. Everyone knows that "6.5" sh*t don't stink.

7. JRS

JRS Gold $$ Contributor

When did we start listening to the manufacturers safety recommendations:rolleyes:

Dgd6mm, Rushty, gdbleb and 12 others like this.
  8. ShootDots

ShootDots Gold $$ Contributor

Look at it this way: If you don't anneal, the necks WILL split from work-hardening! I don't have an idea of when that will take place, however, it will.. Anneal and keep your brass malleable and it will last A L-O-N-G time! Which postulation do you think will create more sales?

JBT, Jet, muleman69 and 13 others like this.
  9. NorCalMikie

NorCalMikie Gold $$ Contributor

Brass gets "work hardened", necks split, Lapua says "don't anneal, you go out and buy more. Lapua has it figured out. ;)

Magnum Research says "don't shoot cast lead bullets in the Desert Eagle". After 1000+ rounds of 44 Mag reloads and NO ISSUES, now they tell me.:rolleyes:;)

swd, Jacob.A and Don like this.
  10. JimSC

JimSC

I am still waiting on a verified test that shows home annealing actually accomplishes anything other than heating the brass up. Other than the short test that Litz did in his last book is anyone is aware of any test that compares annealed versus unannelaed brass accuracy and life span? In Litz's abbreviated test he found no gains whatsoever in case life or velocity SD. I still anneal after every firing until another more comprehensive test is published verifying that but if I miss an anneal I don't sweat it

11. R.Morehouse

R.Morehouse Gold $$ Contributor

The corp. lawyer may have thought it would act as a CYA of some sort.......:confused:

rardoin likes this.
  12. Falfan2017

Falfan2017 Gold $$ Contributor

I've done tests where for several f class matches I shot relays with annealed brass and some with non annealed all else equal. Not enough to be truly scientific but in my no turn 6br with light neck tension it did seem to improve and reduce the number of fliers. Seating with a Wilson it also felt like the seating pressure was more uniform. However now using a bra with more neck tension and turned necks it does not seem to make a difference after 5 firings.
    Intuitively it makes sense to me that annealing would matter more the thicker the brass neck and the less neck tension you have. We need to all chip in a few bucks to sponsor somebody to shoot a thousand rounds with 100 pieces of brass. 50 annealed each firing and 50 not and see what results come of it on target.

LGKLAS, avidflyer, clunker and 3 others like this.
  13. BronzeArcher

BronzeArcher

My experience is that Lapua brass lasts 10-15 firings without annealing. And some of my highest scores have come after 10 firings. Whatever benefit there may be from annealing is not worth the extra effort and expense to me.

14. ShootDots

I have been annealing for so many years, at least 20 doing it by hand (with a drill and a standing lone torch) and about 5 with a BenchSource, I will take your word for longevity. However, it is FAR more important to me about the consistency of seating bullets than brass life. I remember quite well, prior to ever annealing, that seating bullets was fraught with seating inconsistencies! I use the OLD and small (as it very small) RCBS Partner Press which you literally can feel all the seating force discrepancies. I can imagine if you had one of those "force measuring" Arbor Presses, those inconsistencies could easily be measured! So annealing, at least for me, is two-fold, brass consistency and brass longevity.

snakepit, 6MMsteve, Joe R and 8 others like this.
  15. watercam

watercam Gold $$ Contributor

I annealed 200 SRP .308 cases every 5th firing and had 8 neck cracks at around the 20th firing. Went to annealing every 3-4 firings with the same brass and still going. Hell they may last forever...;)

JimSC, joshb, Dan S and 1 other person like this.
  16. ShootDots

Yes Sir! And that my friend, I believe, is precisely why Lapua made that "recommendation"!

JimSC and Dan S like this.
  17. Dan S

Dan S J III:XVI Silver $$ Contributor

I should of thought of that;)

270WinDude likes this.
  18. rr2030

rr2030

Just curious, how much brass can you buy for the price to purchase and operate an annealing machine ? How much time is spent annealing ?

LGKLAS likes this.
  19. ShootDots

I am sure every case is different. My case is: I shoot at least 5-6 thousand rounds per year. The BenchSource, when I bought it was $500.20 to my door. I have had it for about 5 years now. That is "about" 30,000 rounds during that time. I believe it has paid for itself. But how do you measure the "cost" of inconsistent brass?

snakepit and Joe R like this.
  20. Greyfox

Greyfox Gold $$ Contributor

Not surprising. All the above reasons are good, plus the fact that based on posts here, most people don't do a very good job of annealing. Can you say clueless?

Rick

JRS and gunsandgunsmithing like this.