Lapua brass primer pocket depth

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by dbduff, Jul 31, 2017.

1. dbduff

dbduff Gold $$ Contributor

Using 6.5 creedmoor Lapua brass to make 6xc brass with small primer pockets. Using a Sinclair carbide small primer pocket uniformer but it won't reach carbon on bottom of pocket. Bought a
    PMA Lapua small pocket ultimate uniformer thinking it would do the job. It doesn't get to primer pocket bottoms either. Anybody else facing this issue? How are you resolving it ?
    David Duff

2. milanuk

milanuk Team Savage Gold $$ Contributor

I resolve it by not doing it, and just shoot the stuff.

If it really bothers you, try snaking the tail of a caliper into the pocket to check the depth vs. what your uniformer is set for. Odds are that after a firing or two, the problem will resolve itself.

3. JohnHenry

JohnHenry

gotcha likes this.
  4. hrlincoln

hrlincoln

Not sure I understand exactly...but if your issue is getting to the bottom of the primer pocket to 'clean', maybe try either of these (both work well with just a couple of twists in the pocket):

http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloading-equipment/case-cleaning/case-cleaning-products/primer-pocket-brushes-prod32941.aspx

http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloading-equipment/case-preparation/primer-pocket-tools/cleaners/crocogator-primer-pocket-cleaner-prod32935.aspx?avs%7cManufacturer_1=dewey

Joe Salt likes this.
  5. Steelnecktie

Steelnecktie

Have you shot brass yet? All my brass prep stuff is from PMA tool. They come pre set to depth. I would shoot brass at least once first and then it will probably reach to bottom of all the pockets. The pockets move after every shot on my Lapua brass. I'm on 8 reloadings of 6.5x284 Lapua brass and it skims a little off every time
    Sorry, I see you did shoot it. If you have ejector pin marks on bottom of brass, it may be holding tool off just enough not to touch
    Just my guess

gotcha likes this.
  6. gotcha

gotcha

+1 here ^^^^^^^ ................. Your PMA tool should be cutting into the corner of the pocket which would be sufficient for a clean up. What remains at the bottom of the pocket is more of a film than a build up and won't harm primer seating. I like the bottom of my pockets to shine, as well as, be uniform............. You can adjust the depth of cut on your PMA tool to achieve either result. Be aware that as little as .0005" in adjustment can be the difference between smokey and shiny bottoms and may apply only to your present lot# of brass. I've got my uniformer set at .121" for about a 90% clean up on my particular brass lot#.

7. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Gold $$ Contributor

Just go to 21st Century Shooting (http://www.xxicsi.com/primer-pocket-uniformer.html) and get an adjustable depth Primer Pocket uniformer. If you measure the depth of pockets on a lot of different calibers (and manufacturers of brass) you will find a preset uniformer might not work for all situations.

The other option you have is filing the case head, which is something I do anyway (after measuring factory datum for each case) for all new brass before I square up the pockets. Out of the thousands of cases prepped, I have never found a case head to be flat out of the box; 2 to 5 firings (depending on pressure) to get the case head ironed out.

Turd Fergusson

gotcha likes this.
  8. dbduff

Thanks for all the responses. I've used Lapua 308 Palma brass previously and the Sinclair small primer pocket uniformer always cleaned up the bottom of the pocket shiney. I'm anal only in that I want to maintain consistency in primer seating depth and don't want accumulated carbon in the bottom of the pocket interfering with that task, as well as possibly compromising the flash hole integrity. So when Lapua xc brass didn't clean up, it caught my attention. Both the Sinclair and PMA tool just touch the bottom where the side wall meets the bottom of the pocket. The center of the pocket appears to be slightly concave and the consequence is that the unifier just barely leaves a very faint circle around the perimeter of the pocket. I've shot and cleaned a lot of Lapua brass, both large and small primer, just never ran into this before. Maybe the odd lot, maybe a trait of forming 6.5 Creedmoor to 6 xc dimensions, maybe it's the nut behind the unifier. According to the response from you all, it doesn't appear to be a show stopper. Thanks for opinions, suggestions and great info.
    David Duff

9. dbduff

Turd Ferguson- for the money I spent on the PMA tool that does nothing the sinclair tool doesn't do, I should have gone with your suggestion. Too late too smart. Thanks so much for the heads up.
    D

10. bpmoss1

bpmoss1 Silver $$ Contributor

Lapua brass has European spec. small rifle primer pockets (at least in ppc & br) .003" deeper than standard. Stadard=.122". European=.125". K&M sells their tool set where ever you want it. I have 1 at .122 and one at .125. They work great. Barry.

vahena likes this.
  11. dbduff

Will check it out. Thanks so much for the info.
    D

12. DRNewcomb

DRNewcomb

My old Sinclair primer pocket uniformer is adjustable for depth. I just reset the depth. However for cleaning the reamed primer pockets I use an RCBS primer pocket brush.