Lapua 6BRA brass to Dasher?

Discussion in '6BR, 6BR Improved & Wildcats' started by newbieshooter, Jan 10, 2019.

1. newbieshooter

newbieshooter :-) Silver $$ Contributor

There was a separate thread regarding going from Dasher brass to 6BRA. The general consensus was "don't do that".

I was wondering about going the other way. Suppose you have some once fired (fire formed) 6BRA brass and wanted to FF them to a dasher? Can one just load a bullet long (hard jam + plenty of neck tension) and fire it in the dasher chamber (dasher/6brai have the same .266 neck)? Any problems with fire forming brass essentially in two steps?

just wondering....

2. LRPV

LRPV Jason Walker

Shouldn't be a problem.

Personally I'd anneal them, expand to 25/6.5 and false shoulder just like a standard BR OR hydroform them. I am not a fan of jam and shoot though.

Gabe22BR, mikeeg02 and DJSBRS like this.
  3. mikeeg02

mikeeg02 Michael Glantz Gold $$ Contributor

Like Jason said, I would just anneal them first.

4. CaptainMal

CaptainMal Silver $$ Contributor

See literally no difference making Dasher cases with BRA or BR cases. Only thing is the BR cases could be new while the BRA cases were formed from BR cases and have been shot before.

I make good Dasher cases from BR just necking for good neck tension and jamming bullets at least .030" or more. Bet it would be the same using BRA cases. Anneal after you do it. Ironically I have a friend having trouble with his new BRA. He just asked me yesterday about this same issue as he expects to re-chamber the BRA to Dasher.

5. dmoran

dmoran Silver $$ Contributor

What is your criteria to "good Dasher cases"?
    Myself fail to get consistency from the "jam method" (primarily blow lengths) then I do from other methods.

LRPV likes this.
  6. CaptainMal

CaptainMal Silver $$ Contributor

They look good and seem to shoot good. Good enough for me. Been doing that for years with literally 97% success using Lapua brass. First full power load usage cleans up anything that might not be just right.

Agree the length may not sort itself out right away. I do them 1.555" and the BRA's 1.560". Normally use H4895 around 30 gr. to get the cases made and soft 400's as the primer. That last is an important issue. BR4's and 450's are a bit hard and tend to push things in a bit.