Lake City Brass

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by Totosdad, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Totosdad

Totosdad

I have some Lake City brass that has LC 08 and a circle with a cross in it. How can I tell if it is .556 or .223. My Savage is .223 and not sure if I can go by .223 load data. My understanding is a .556 case
    holds a different quantity of powder. Sorry, I am new to this.

2. mike06

mike06 US ARMY 1970-1977 Silver $$ Contributor

I bet it is 556 the 08 means 2008 production. They are thicker than normal .223 Remington brass. If you use the 556 brass start lower than recommended 223 data.

Totosdad likes this.
  3. rebeltex

rebeltex Gold $$ Contributor

Hmm...
    I think the brass is the same, 556 is just loaded hotter.
    You can use standard 223 starting loads in your LC brass.

Totosdad likes this.
  4. Totosdad

Totosdad

Thank you guy's

mike06 likes this.
  5. Rsadams

Rsadams

Just start low and work up , the brass will be fine to use... 5.56 is just a hot load .223... The 5.56 chamber bleeds off a little pressure that the .223 chamber doesn't that's why you can shoot .223 in a 5.56 gun but not the other way around.... Once again start low and work up with your charge and you will be good to go....

jepp2 and Totosdad like this.
  6. Uncle Ed

Uncle Ed

Lake City 5.56 brass is made from "harder" and not thicker brass. And as you can see below most .223 and 5.56 cases have simular case capacities. And as you can also see it is above average in quality and uniformity.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I buy bulk once fired 5.56 and 7.62 Lake City brass because I'm a cheap bastard and the brass is better than Remington or Winchester and a fraction the cost of new brass.

7. rammac

rammac

First of all there isn't any real difference between .223 and 5.56 brass so I wouldn't worry about it. The real difference is in the chambers, not the brass. The only dimension that might be a problem is the case length so check that the trim-to-length is within SAAMI spec for a .223 and you wont have any problems.

Secondly, the circle with the cross in it is a required head stamp for NATO brass. Any ammo that has that mark on it was manufactured to NATO specs and that means that it was produced for military use.

Totosdad, linedrive301ft and oley55 like this.
  8. Uncle Ed

Uncle Ed

More edumacation on 5.56 Lake City military brass.

During the 1968 Congressional hearings on the M16 rifle jamming problem, one of the problems was the brass was too soft.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mark W, Totosdad and oley55 like this.
  9. C.E.Smith043

C.E.Smith043 Gold $$ Contributor

This is why I like ur post. A man that comes with factual data.

bozo699 and Mark W like this.
  10. Burnt Powder

Burnt Powder

The facts go back a long ways. I don’t know whether LC still makes 55 gr ammo or not. If they do, it’s not NATO spec ammo. All NATO spec 5.56 ammo is 62 gr at 3,050 fps. And has the circle-cross logo on the headstamp.
    Not all LC, WCC, SL, it goes on and on, is not created equal. The end justifies the means. If it meets military requirements, it ships regardless of who is running the armory.