Labrador Chronograph ????

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by BIGMAC, Mar 15, 2019.

1. BIGMAC

BIGMAC Silver $$ Contributor

Will it chronograph/track read bullets to 300 yds. target While load testing groups side. Thanks

2. xswanted

xswanted Gold $$ Contributor

I believe they’re rated to 100 yards only.

Mine will read the bullet at 100 yards most of the time if I’m shooting past 100 yards.

Great chronograph.

dickn52 likes this.
  3. Twoboxer

Twoboxer Silver $$ Contributor

No, it won't track to 300 yds.

ETA: Depending on caliber, it might track to 100 yds. However, some of the last readings will be flaky . . . ie, they will show the bullet speeding up as it goes down range.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  4. Dan Minick

Dan Minick

Depending on the caliber of the bullet you are shooting and the range you are shooting at you may be able to get readings farther out. I have got data readings with my 338 lapua and 50 bmg at 300 before. As for accuracy, who am I to say?

5. powderbrake

powderbrake Gold $$ Contributor

The Labradar displays MUZZLE velocity. It measures the bullet velocity in the first 10 to 30 yards from the muzzle, and calculates it back to the muzzle.

As Dan Minick said above, there may be reading in the stored data which you can read (and he is using large bullets), but it is not designed to tell velocity at farther downrange locations. That data you can get from a ballistics program, knowing your muzzle velocity and Ballistic coefficient and weather conditions.

6. grovey

grovey Silver $$ Contributor

Is it true these will sometimes not read .22 cal bullets?

7. Joe R

Joe R Gold $$ Contributor

199-6X.jpg
    No, the Labradar will not track to 300 yards, however, a ShotMarker can give you a pretty good idea of what is happening at the target.

As this image shows, my rounds average velocity is 1799 fps and an SD of 85.1. In all fairness it was raining that day and the sensors got wet, so I wouldn't believe the SD number and my experience is that the velocity numbers are a little off too, so additional correlation between a Labradar and ShotMarker needs to be done.

Joe

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
  8. Jeff A

Jeff A Formerly known as BikeEffects Gold $$ Contributor

I relioably get velocities from .22 cal bullets. You can't track them as far but that is interesting to kn ow information but seldom necessary. I have used the LabRadar since November 2015 and have chronographed my Ruger 204 and my HMR 17. You must take steps to aim the unit at the target in order for it to be reliable.

9. Rushty

Rushty Gold $$ Contributor

Joe,
    What are the square boxes or function at the bottom of your Shotmarker screen?

10. Joe R

Joe R Gold $$ Contributor

Those boxes are the other shooters during the match. I was on target 11.

By the way, Doug Skogman won the match, I just got lucky and won the relay. Johnny Ingram, Doug Skogman and Tim Vaught score a clean 200 with ridiculous regularity, I'm definately the B team.

Joe

11. Rushty

Rushty Gold $$ Contributor

Oh ok cheers, I haven’t seen that before because I haven’t shot with multiple targets/shooters..Looks like a handy feature.

Cheers