LabRadar problems?

Discussion in 'Gear Talk: What to Buy? and Gear Evaluations' started by cj8vet, Aug 10, 2017.

1. cj8vet

cj8vet

Sorry if this is the wrong forum---
    The 2 guys I know with LabRadars are both claiming to be having velocity issues since it has gotten really hot here in Texas. Lower velocity, higher velocities, bigger sd's and ES .Is this a known issue?
    I have recommended they get together and compare side by side.
    I know different powders are involved, varget,4350,and?? no rl-15 or 17.
    1 "know it all" said they needed fresh batteries???
    any other comments?
    Thanks
    Mark

2. ngb1787

ngb1787 Silver $$ Contributor

used mine in phoenix last week, no issues, please be aware that as temps rise so does the velocities, we have done some testing here. For every degree of ambient temperature rise of ammo, we have recorded 2fps increases in velocities. This was tested with h4350 and 4831sc,

3. rardoin

rardoin Silver $$ Contributor

No issues here in hot and steamy South Louisiana. If it is an issue this would be the first I have heard of it.

4. Clucknmoan

Clucknmoan Silver $$ Contributor

I have seen some wild stuff with them when the batteries get below half.

Get the battery pack. I have had absolutely no issues since I got the extra battery capacity.

5. sfldiver

sfldiver Silver $$ Contributor

I use mine here in South Florida - no issues with temperature on very hot days. As for the battery, just picked up a portable battery pack that connects via usb on Amazon - no issues.

6. lloydx2

lloydx2

I own one But the lack of internal battery power is BS. I mean AA (really)
    Yes the external cell works well. But why not engineer it that way in the first place.

7. Bob L.

Bob L. Gold $$ Contributor

I have a Labradar and shoot at the same range. I have had no problems.

8. jimcasey01

jimcasey01 Silver $$ Contributor

100_2423 (800x599).jpg
    Lasts at least 2 days for me, 3-4 hours each day. I haven't tried longer.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  9. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

They are not fool proof thats for sure. I have seen large velocity changes with mine, that did not show on target. I am starting to loose trust in mine. It doesnt seem to be any better than my crappy shootin chrony I had. While it seems to read good on the day, but the next day it may tell you your running 50 fps faster or slower than you were with the same ammo and the gun is still in tune.

LRPV and Gonzos like this.
  10. rardoin

Alex, have you set up the optical chrony with your Labradar for comparison on multiple occasions. I have only compared it to a Magnetospeed V3 once and a CED Mill-2 once but not on multiple occasions (nor have I seen any reports of multiple confirmation tests). I may have to dust off the CED and compare...at least on the shots the CED picks up:rolleyes:.

11. Alex Wheeler

I dont have another chrony at this time.

12. ngb1787

Alex the only reason i dont use mine at times is because it is so darn accurate each time. We really have found that temp changes velocities. A lot! At least in our h4350 and 4831 sc.

13. LRPV

LRPV Jason Walker Gold $$ Contributor

I've talked them about this. I'll shoot a ladder, pick a charge out and load it. When I shoot a group I'll see a 20-30 FPS drop when I shoot a group. This all within a 15 minute window basically. As well as from day to day.

14. Alex Wheeler

I shot 600yds, load had .5 vertical. Next weekend it had 1 inch of vertical at 1000. Obviously in tune both days. 40 fps difference according to the lab radar, same load, same weather. There's no way. If your in tune and then change 40 fps you will be vertical.

boltfluter and ngb1787 like this.
  15. rardoin

Enter Rod Serling......;):eek:

boltfluter likes this.
  16. ngb1787

I must be lucky set mine up today and used for bra loads, worked good again.

17. Jay Christopherson

Jay Christopherson it's turtles, all the way down Administrator

I'm not so certain. While I don't test and re-test to BR levels, none of my three current competition barrels require a different load for different conditions/temperature. I shot the same load at Lodi in Sept, in WA in Jan/Feb/March, and in Phoenix in Feb, at Rattlesnake in June, ranging from 20º to 85º-ish. No change in expected vertical that I could detect or at least, it did not change out of sub-X vertical. I don't think a change in velocity is necessarily directly tied to vertical. Maybe it depends on your tune window. That is just my opinion though.

EDIT: this is partly why I don't exhaustively chrono all of my testing anymore. If there's not a problem on paper, I don't necessarily care what the chrono is telling me.

Ledd Slinger and rardoin like this.
  18. Alex Wheeler

Jay I would not expect you to need different loads if your running 4831 or 4350, because its stable. Run a powder like rl15 and you will need to tweak things as the temps change. What I am saying is, the same load, one week apart, nothing different, 40 fps change in velocity and it was still shooting. If in fact I changed 40 fps, why?, and how did the rifle stay in tune? If you are saying that you have chrono'd your rifle and seen large changes in velocity, but the rifle was still in tune, that is not my experience. If something changed enough to cause a 40 fps shift, I would be out of tune IMO.

Jay Christopherson likes this.
  19. Jay Christopherson

Jay Christopherson it's turtles, all the way down Administrator

Yeah, that's a good point. When I ran a Dasher using RL-15, I was constantly tweaking. Wait, 7MM and H4350 isn't used by everyone for everything?

20. Alex Wheeler

I like rl33 in my 7mm ;)