Labradar and small projectiles

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by Ledd Slinger, Apr 7, 2019.

1. Ledd Slinger

Ledd Slinger Gold $$ Contributor

Ive always wanted to get a Labradar but read a lot about the unit failing to read small bullets. I have always used 20 cal varmint rifles.

Do any of the labradar owners here have issues with the unit reading speeds on 20 cal bullets?

I don't own any 22 cal rifles so only interested in performance on 20 cal projectiles. Thanks

2. xswanted

xswanted Gold $$ Contributor

I haven’t shot anything tooblight through mine, smallest bullet was a 45 20 cal. No problems reading that at all.

I do believe if you’re pushing things really fast though the lab radar is only rated to 3800-3900fps though.

Zero333 and Ledd Slinger like this.
  3. MikeT49

MikeT49 Gold $$ Contributor

I just picked up a Labradar. I will be shooting my 20P past it on my next range trip. My mv will be about 3850fps with 39SBKs. I will also be using a magneto speed. I will report back on results. Hopefully, it works.
    Meanwhile, I do know it does work on .177 cal projectiles at air gun speeds. It did not miss a shot from my CO2 pistol (BBs) at ~400fps.

4. Ledd Slinger

Thanks. Be good to hear how it does with the 20P and 39gr BKs. I use that bullet as well.

5. Boisblancboy

Boisblancboy

I have my Lab set to the 6”, closest setting to the barrel, and I have issues having it pick up all the shots. Are there small adjustments to setting it up correctly that I should be doing to help it detect all the shots? It just seems finicky.

6. biggen0_8

biggen0_8 Gold $$ Contributor

Is it not "triggering" or is it triggering but not seeing the bullet?

7. Boisblancboy

Boisblancboy

Typically not triggering 1/5 shots.

8. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd Gold $$ Contributor

Play with the position, and with the trigger (internal microphone) sensitivity setting. Mine took a bit of both to get it to work reliably. I usually set mine on "2". If you set the trigger too sensitive, it will start picking up other shooters' shots. Because their bullets likely won't enter the radar beam, it will then give you an error reading. After a brief period, it goes back into acquisition mode, so you don't have to get out from behind the rifle. You may also occasionally have to delete a shot value set if your neighbor's gun activates the trigger, and they are close enough on the line to you that their bullet enters the radar beam downrange. These are certainly annoyances, but you can minimize them by adjusting the position and sensitivity setting.

rebel and Boisblancboy like this.
  9. Boisblancboy

Boisblancboy

I have the settings on the highest sensitivity because I’m shooting on a personal range. Only noise is just me.

10. dickn52

dickn52 Gold $$ Contributor

I had similar issues and found that as the muzzle blast went off, the lab unit actually moved out of alignment with the target. After 4 or 5 shots I was no longer picking up projo's.

Boisblancboy likes this.
  11. rebel

rebel Gold $$ Contributor

22 boat tails can be rough. You have to play with the best position of the unit to catch them.

Ledd Slinger likes this.
  12. Ledd Slinger

I'd just hate to buy a unit that cant tell me the speed of my 20 cal rounds. Even if it can, I don't want something finicky either. I'm sure there will be another manufacturer that comes along soon enough to produce a doppler radar unit that picks up on all the Labradar shortcomings. Probably wait til then. Thanks guys.

boltfluter likes this.
  13. ricco1949

ricco1949

Mine reads 20's every time I remember to "arm" it.

Ledd Slinger likes this.
  14. Shinbone

Shinbone

A lot depends on background clutter, too. The more isolated your target is from other objects, the better the S/N of the return signal.

15. golong

golong

Picks up my 204 Ruger just fine.

16. ratbuster

ratbuster

My experience with Labradar and 20 cal is frustrating at best

Ledd Slinger likes this.
  17. MikeT49

MikeT49 Gold $$ Contributor

It picked up every shot from about 3650 fps till I got to 3900 fps then quit reading any more shots above that.

Ledd Slinger likes this.
  18. golong

golong

I should have added that my unit went back to Labradar twice, but not before I started using it regularly with my 204. I had problems picking up more than 1 or 2 shots in a 5 shot group, and then once every shot was being picked up they all started reading in the 3200 fps range. Imagine the head scratching that goes on on when your 6.5 and 308 are running that fast. Anyway, Richard at Labradar was great to work with, and the unit has been rock solid ever since (9 months now). If your stuff is not working correctly I would give them a call.

19. ryewhiskeybent

ryewhiskeybent Silver $$ Contributor

Had to send mine back. Had to have the muzzle close enough to give it powder burn before it would reliably trigger. Sent it back, apparently too much packing around the microphones. I’ve tested it with 9, 40, 556, 6.5 and 308 since then. Triggers everytime with muzzle 6-10 inches away. Use a straw to help get it line up with the path off the BULLET and lock down on sturdy base and I get consistent readings. Give them a call, very helpful.

20. golong

golong

I used an aluminum tube that is about the size of a straw. I put 2 stacks of washers, with rubber grommets on both sides of each stack, to keep the washers from moving around, then I place the tube on top with one stack on either side of the Labradar. Allows for quick checking and holds up to 15+ mph winds.