Labradar and SAmsung bluetooth problems

Discussion in 'Gear Talk: What to Buy? and Gear Evaluations' started by JimSC, Sep 28, 2018.

1. JimSC

JimSC

I recently acquired a Labradar and planned on using one of my Samsung devices for remote control. The bluetooth worked ok at first, an occasional disconnect from the unit 2 feet away from the Labradar but today it quit working entirely. I have tried on 2 Samsung phones and a Samsung Tab A and cannot connect. The devices see the Labradar and even pair with it but I keep getting "communications error" when attempting to connect.

So far the best I have gotten from Labradar CS is Samsungs have bluetooth issues and reset the communications on the devices. I did that on the phone w/o a sim card that I normally use for drone flying and did not cure the problem. Also reinstalled the software, reset the Labradar to factory settings etc and it refuses to connect. I re emailed them but it's a small company so I am pretty sure they closed shop a few minutes after they emailed me and went home. Hopefully I will get a response Monday as to what else we can try, if anything

I have connected my Samsung devices to drones, external speakers, my audio system as well as to each other and never had issues.

Anyone else have a Samsung and a Labradar and figure out how to get them to work together reliably ?

2. #40Fan

#40Fan

Wifi on or off on the Samsungs?

3. JimSC

JimSC

labradar connects via bluetooth. You can pair it and connect in the phones connection menu but ap will still not run. Just curious to see if others have had that issue or if mine is a special snowflake. The ap pretty much sucks anyway but is useful for arming, disarming and checking to make sure the shots are being picked up. The SD card has the data in excell files which are far superior to the program data.

I think the daughter might have a old IPhone I could bum. I might ask her to bring it next time she heads this way and see if it will connect

what is odd that the first couple of times I used it it would connect but sometimes it took 3 or 4 tries. This morning it would not connect to the Tab A which is what I normally use but it connected to the Samsung 6. At home now it won't connect with either one or the Samsung 5 I use for drone flying.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
    odie likes this.
  4. JimSC

JimSC

it appears to be the Samsungs. My neighbor loaded the ap on his iPhone for me and it connected right in. The ap is not worth buying a new phone for me at least. I will just operate it manually

5. JCUtah

JCUtah

I have similar issues wit a note phone. I can be shooting and the phone disconnects but the radar still logs the shots. I try to connect and it will when it feels like it. I did learn that if I get into the situation I disarm the radar and then connect the phone. it seems to work for a out 15 minutes then repeat process.

Technology is great when it's great. But when it's not....

6. mr45man

mr45man Gold $$ Contributor

Blue tooth is not new.
    yH8ZQtl.jpg

7. swadiver

swadiver

I have found the going into the App menu on a Android phone and forcing the LabRadar app to close and then reopening the app will cause it to communicate again.

8. Mozella

Mozella

Me too............... sometimes........... and sometimes not. I've tried every conceivable combination and once in a while I can get communications to work for up to 15 minutes of shooting. Often times communications last only for 5 seconds, but usually I get a failed communications prompt more often than not. I frequently spend 20 minutes or longer at home fooling around trying to unlock the secret of linking the radar with my Android phone or Fire tablet with no luck at all.

At the range, I just use the Labradar manually since the app is a total waste of time. At the end of the day I usually try one more link up just to get a back up of my MV series. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

9. dskogman

dskogman Gold $$ Contributor

It’s totally unusable on my iPhone

10. NA Woody

NA Woody Silver $$ Contributor

Unusable on my iPhone as well.

11. JimSC

JimSC

Interesting. It seems the ap has issues on a lot of phones. I find the SD card data dumped onto a spreadsheet more useful anyway

12. #40Fan

#40Fan

I meant to say, is the WiFi shut off?

Try shutting everything but BT off. Location, Wifi, Send My CC to China, GPS, Air Plane Mode. If it isn't needed for the App, kill it and try again.

13. JimSC

JimSC

Honestly #40 for me the ap is not worth near the hassle it has already caused, as I have stated the only real benefit for me was arming and disarming. Pro Chronos Digital link ap is much more useful in data analysis although Labradars SD card export data is great.

The aiming device is another finicky subject, I ended up making a peep sight with a 1/6 drill bit, a 1/4 dowel and a small piece of aluminum tubing from a old aluminum arrow then hot glued it to the top of the Labradar to help me aim it. The core principle of the Labradar is great but they really dropped the ball on the fine details of the unit. For the price it should work flawlessly.

14. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Gold $$ Contributor

My 2¢, Samsung phones = Cheaply made, poor quality and unreliable. Bought one years ago, failed after two years. Second one, latest and greatest Galaxy failed in one week. Both had bluetooth and sound issues. Never again.

15. JimSC

JimSC

I have been using Samsungs for years now and never had a issue other than dropping one on concrete and cracking the screen. I have used the bluetooth to connect with two brands of portable speakers, several toy drones, watching videos on my TV, my cars hands free phone feature , the Digital Link ap for the Pro Chrono optical chronograph etc and have never had a single bluetooth connectivity issue until this one. This is not just a Apple or Samsung problem, it is a poorly written application problem.

Tom Mouser the distributor is working with me on this but so far no fixes. I am going to suggest to him that he may want to join in on the conversation here. He acknowledged in his latest email that they are aware that the unit has problems with Apple and Samsung products. I find that odd since Apple and Samsung make up the majority of all mobile devices sold worldwide.

All in all I still like the unit and have no plans to return it but if you are on the fence about one I suggest waiting for Labradar Version 2.0 or at least a better mobile application if you own a Apple or Samsung device and want to use the remote control feature

edit - https://www.statista.com/statistics/716302/cell-phone-brands-commonly-owned-by-us-consumers/

67% of the US mobile phones are either Apple or Samsung.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/276635/market-share-held-by-tablet-vendors/

Worldwide Apple has 33% of the tablet market and Samsung almost 19%. That is a lot devices that are affected

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    Jdne5b and hogpatrol like this.
  16. Davey Boy

Davey Boy

No problems here on either ver 122 or on the new update 123 which I just spotted a couple of days ago.
    Give ver 123 a try it's the most recent upgrade.

17. JimSC

JimSC

latest version on Google play is Ver 1.0. You must have a Apple , even following the link from the Labradar site takes me to Google play and ver 1.0

18. Davey Boy

Davey Boy

No the Labradar itself has a firmware update from 1.2.2 to 1.2.3. That may solve some of the problems your having with the unit. https://mylabradar.com/download/

19. JimSC

JimSC

oh firmware update, - first thing I did when I got home and it had decided to quit working . Yep been there done that. That has been the only suggestion so far from the Labradar customer service,other than blaming the problem on Samsung and Apple. It is pretty sad customer service to be honest. I invited them to participate in this thread the day I made it but they don't seem to be interested. It worked fine on all my devices for a month before it stopped, that was really strange

Labradar is a nice concept, but the bluetooth is just not ready for primetime it seems since according to the CS it does may or may not work for 70% devices in the US.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  20. Henryrifle

Henryrifle

My iPhone 7 plus and 6 plus will connect to the Labradar but drop the connection 15-20 seconds later--this is very consistent behavior. If I press any button on the Labradar I can reconnect the phone manually and it will stay connected for another 15-20 seconds. I would highly recommend the Labradar to anyone who needs MV data or is interested in it. It is a fantastic device. As a prone shooter, I sure wish the app would stay connected or Labradar would make a wired remote that gives me remote control of the buttons, display optional.

Henryrifle