Labradar and cold weather.

Discussion in 'ELR, Ballistics & Bullets Board' started by jlow, Jan 13, 2018.

1. jlow

jlow

Been using mine in the cold and find that it really does not like the cold weather i.e. below freezing. Works for a while but then quits after say an hour. I think it is the optional battery pack that you can buy from the company. FWIW, this is with a full charge that still shows up as 3/4 charged when I get home but does not allow the machine to turn on in the cold after it chills down.

Has anyone else had this problem? As counter intuitive as it may sound, I am going to try putting rechargeables in next time as they would be in the battery compartment and sheltered from the cold a bit. Will bring the battery pack as a backup.

2. dkhunt14

dkhunt14

I bet it is the cold. If it's bitter cold out, my rangefinder needs the batteries changed to a warmer set. They just dont hold up in bitter cold. Maybe try a handwarmer packet and insulate some. Matt

gunsandgunsmithing and dmoran like this.
  3. Mozella

Mozella

I run mine from an external battery pack I got on Amazon for about forty bucks and it works great a little bit below freezing. I live in the South, so 28 degrees is a nightmare for me.

My battery pack can run the Labradar forever, or so it seems. A half day or two at the range and it still shows full charge according to the little lights. I run quite a few half day sessions without recharging, and even then I recharge because I don't want to feel like a fool by pushing the envelope.

I would suspect your battery pack, as you already have.

4. retired

retired

i would pass on the rechargables and look for a hand warmer for the batt pack.

5. 6ShotsOr5?

6ShotsOr5? Gold $$ Contributor

Does it have an LCD type display? I had a watch like that a long time ago and I noticed on a very cold skiing trip — it was around -10 to -15 F on the mountain — that the LCD display on my watch quit working. When it warmed back up it was fine, and the time was correct. If this turns out to be the problem with your LabRadar, the device will probably continue recording shot data even though you won’t be able to review the results until later when the display warms up. According to the online LabRadar manual the operating temperature range is 14 - 104F.

You can find a lot of info about LCDs in very cold temps on the world-wide interweb.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    gunsandgunsmithing likes this.
  6. jlow

jlow

Yes, it’s pretty cold up here in Michgan…

Matt a handwarmer is a reasonable idea and this may be a route I might try.

Mozella, this is the external 10,000mAh that Labradar sells. It can indeed run the radar pretty much like forever except when it is cold like this and like I said, even when it is not working, it shows ¾ full when I return.

6ShotsOr5 – I know what you are saying and I have seen this before, but this is not the LCD since the power lights do not come on.

7. DT

DT

For those interested in a backup, I found the exact same external power pack that is sold with lab radar for $30 on amazon for $10.

dmoran likes this.
  8. dmoran

dmoran Gold $$ Contributor

My power pack (LabRadar) went bad in 7-months. :mad:
    On a Wally cheap-o now....

9. Clucknmoan

Clucknmoan Silver $$ Contributor

Been running mine this winter down to about 20 degrees without any issues at all. Not Real cold by any means, but zero issues.

dmoran likes this.
  10. jimbires

jimbires Silver $$ Contributor

I agree with Matt , it's probably a cold battery . I'd guess that getting a longer power cord and keep the battery inside your coat, should work .

11. jlow

jlow

Now that's an idea....! Thanks!

12. jlow

jlow

Thanks! Interested in hearing what the symptoms were? Did it just stop working? Did you keep it fully charged all the time? I basically never let it go down by more than 1/4.

13. retired

retired

just don't walk away.

14. carlsbad

carlsbad Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep. Gold $$ Contributor

Interesting thread. Being in CA I didn't realize that standard Li batteries are only rated down to 40 deg f. You can buy lower temp batteries but it gets expensive.

I would put the batteries in a good cooler with a large mass of warm stuff. a warm 15 lb dumbell for example, would have a tremendous heat capacity. Or just warm water in gatorade bottles. That should be good for many hours, depending on your cooler. Resist the temptation to open it up and check it every 30 minutes. (by warm I mean 100 deg F since too warm would be bad for the battery as well).

I use the 10,000 to 20,000 mAh cheap lithium external power packs for cell phones. Avoid the small ones. Bigger is more amp hours. 1" x 3" x 6" is about the size of the good ones.

--Jerry

15. kyreloader

kyreloader Gold $$ Contributor

I shot mine in 8 degrees Fahrenheit last week with an external battery pack (not sold by Labradar) and shot for about 3 hours with no issues.

16. Just Dave

Just Dave Gold $$ Contributor

A couple weeks ago, I arrived at the range, it was 18 degrees, possibly less in the shadows where I was seated.. It registered the first 2-3 shots, then quit. . Similar problem last summer during middle of match it shut off after I forgot to move it out of direct sunlight.. Turns out, if you read the specs on the unit, it's operating temperature is 15-105 degrees F. I'm guessing those that have used it successfully in lower temps might have the benefit of sunlight keeping it from freezing up ?

17. jlow

jlow

Today, temp was around 20 degree F. I went out with the rechargeable AA 2300mAh installed inside the machine. It turned on fine and I ran it for about 30min - no problem but the power level I could see was dropping to about 1-2 bars but I was done.

A friend then dropped by and shot his 6.5CM and asked if I could chrono his rounds. No problem I thought since I had the Labradar sourced power pack in my inside jacket pocket and so it was warm and charged up. Plugged it in, started up, adjusted bullet weight and bam, the unit turned off and would not start up. I got the AAs plug them in and they worked fine. So not working because the battery pack was cold.

Got home, plug the battery pack in and it said all full already...

So it is not the machine itself but it could be the other weak link which is the USB power/charging cable. Last year I had similar problem and they send me another cable for free and that cured it. Now I see that when I plug the battery pack into the machine, jiggling the cable at the plug where it goes not the machine, the power light goes in and out.

So that is my problem. I have now tried three different cables, they are all intermittent when jiggled so I think it is the actual plug in the Labradar....

18. jlow

jlow

That's what it is. Here is a close-up of the plug in question. Looks like the top strap has separated. Will can Labradar tomorrow. DSCN4197.jpg

19. rardoin

rardoin Silver $$ Contributor

^^^MY experience also with a 12000mAH pack.

20. pat fulghum

pat fulghum ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Gold $$ Contributor

I have a buddy (@Tod Hendricks ) that also had this happen, let me know what you find out