Lab Radar Trigger questions

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by JDBraddy, Jul 10, 2018.

1. JDBraddy

JDBraddy Silver $$ Contributor

I just got my new lab radar, updated the firmware, was able to connect with my Samsung phone, tried it with my .22 rimfire, and wasn't able to get any of the trigger settings to work, went from setting 8 to 5 to 1, so I changed it over to Doppler and it started picking up most of the shots. Haven't tried using it with a centerfire yet. Is the rimfire just not loud enough to trigger it? or do I have to have some optional trigger device to use these settings, or do I need to use the Doppler option to trigger it? Also, haven't yet figured out how to download the data to my computer in a usable format, I'm not very computer savy, and not sure what software is compatable. Any advice or instruction welcome.

luckyshot52 likes this.
  2. dickn52

dickn52 Gold $$ Contributor

Ok, first the data is in the form of a CSV file, or MS Excel spreadsheet. You have to have a card reader attached or in your computer. Plug in the card and a screen should pop open. Look for the file called LBRDR or something similar. (?) and double tap that one. Of course you have to have MS Excel on your computer. Trigger for 22LR is not impossible, but it requires careful placement of the muzzle and Radar. But as you know it is a very small bullet. Making sure the radar is aimed correctly (lay a drinking straw in the V notch and use that as a sight tool), the muzzle is very close to the edge of the radar. Centerfire cartridges I can track a .223 out to 75 yards without a problem, but after that it gets harder...

3. rkittine

rkittine Gold $$ Contributor

I bought the "Trigger" which makes mine work fine with Rim Fire firearms and pellet guns.

Bob

4. Mozella

Mozella

Mine triggers 100% of the time using the acoustical trigger using bullets from 6.5mm down to 22LR. I make sure to place my muzzle exactly abeam the Labradar unit. The distance from the muzzle to the edge of the Labrader is a selectable distance. I don't recall the menu items exactly, but there are three distance ranges if I remember correctly. Anyhow, choose a convenient distance abeam and make sure the menu selection matches the actual distance. I use the smallest distance and set the muzzle about 6" away. It works every time. I've also tried the doppler setting and it works about 95% of the time using .223 bullets. Acoustical is more reliable for me.

5. rkittine

rkittine Gold $$ Contributor

Not sure of your shooting set up, but at my home club, we were forced by public outcry (really unfounded) to at 4' square, 40' long concrete shooting tunnels for out rifle range. The acoustics of the tunnels can reek havoc on my LabRadar, but the other alternative is a conventional chrono over 40 feet from the muzzle.

Bob

6. boltfluter

boltfluter

Just buy an Oehler 35 and be done with it. The Lab Radar is not all it is cracked up to be. Lol. Ducking and running for cover. Flame suit on. Fire away!!:D:D:p

Paul

7. Bob L.

Bob L. Gold $$ Contributor

Had both. Sold the Oehler; kept the LR.

Laurie, BartsBullets, motti and 3 others like this.
  8. JDBraddy

Have a Caldwell, a Gamma Chrony, an Oehler 43, and now a LabRadar. :rolleyes:o_O:eek:

9. rammac

rammac

Oehler was the industry leader 40 years ago, today there isn't more than about 0.5% difference in the readings from any of the chronographs available. The only real difference is how easy is the unit to use where you shoot, how well does it register shots (how often does it error when you shoot), and how much money do you have to spend.

Don't forget, Open Office is a FREE office suite that has a spreadsheet application and it will also run CSV files and it provides almost all of the same options as MS Excel.

Dusty Stevens likes this.
  10. dickn52

You two stop hijacking the thread. The OP asked how to fix his Labradar or set it up better. Buying an Oehler wasn't in the question or an option.

PatMiles likes this.
  11. PatMiles

PatMiles Gold $$ Contributor

+1^^^^^^

12. rammac

rammac

My intention wasn't to hijack the conversation, it was to help inform the OP, I forgot that there are judgmental elitists that always have to think the worst of anybody that they don't agree with. Your name explains your vitriolic reaction dickn52.

dickn52 likes this.
  13. dickn52

Possibly to both your assertions, however your post didn't mention anything that would actually help the OP with his labradar issues. Shoot safely.

14. lawrence97

lawrence97 Silver $$ Contributor

For the Labradar to work reliably with 22 you need to go into settings and in the velocity range menu select pistol. The other trick is to place the Labradar just a tad forward and off to the side of the muzzle so that it can be triggered reliably.
    Once you do what I described you shouldn’t have a problem. If you want to spend money you can purchase the microphone and that will allow it to work with air rifles/pistols.

dickn52 likes this.
  15. dickn52

BTW dickn52 was from richard nxxxx at 52 years of age.

16. JDBraddy

Sorry guys, didn't mean to start a flame war, but I had an Oehler, I like it, but two of the ranges I have memberships at, are public ranges that don't allow the shooters to go forward of the line, either to hang targets, or to set up chrono's, so I needed something portable that I could just set on the bench, without going forward of the line to set up screens. As for the Nixon years, I was in elementary school, if you where 52 then, that would make you 115-118 today! If you're not a Vampire.....Way to go!

17. jepp2

jepp2 Gold $$ Contributor

If you don't happen to access to Excel, you can always download OpenOffice and use that (free).

dickn52 likes this.