LA Rem 700 in 6.5-284 won't eject

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by sab, Feb 8, 2011.

1. sab

sab

Hey, everybody!

This is my first post here! A few years back, I got a good deal on a Rem 700 in 30-06 from a local pawn shop. It's an older rifle that was well used, and I bought it mainly for the action. Over the last couple years, I've turned it into a lightweight hunting rifle in 6.5-284. It's a fine rifle now, but it doesn't eject 6.5-284 cases. Since I never used it in its original configuration, I don't know if it ejected properly before I started the project. The extraction is strong, but the spent case doesn't make it out of the ejection port and just sits on top the magazine follower. I've replaced the ejector spring, and that didn't help. The extractor is the old rivet-style, and before I replace it, I figured I'd ask the experts here what they think the cause could be. To me, it looks like the case head slips off the extractor when the shoulder clears the forward edge of the ejection port, but before the neck clears the port, but it's hard to tell for sure. It's almost as if the short case length, combined with the diameter difference at the shoulder, results in the case tilting enough to come free of the bolt face recess on the ejector side. Is the 6.5-284 prone to ejection problems in the Rem 700 LA? Is replacing the extractor the next logical thing to do?

I sure appreciate any ideas on this one!

Thanks,
    Scott

2. jr600yd

jr600yd

Scott,
    I had a similar a problem with a Remmy 40X several years ago. I replaced the ejector spring and still had the problem. The extracted case would either just clear the action or lay on top of the follower. Next I replaced the extractor. It too was the old type that was pinned into the bolt. Got a new one from www.midwayusa.com along with the tool for installing it. Once fitted in place I had no more problems.

3. sab

sab

Jim:

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience. The extractor was next on my list, so I think I'll go ahead and try it. How much trouble was it to remove the old rivet? That's the only worry I have...

Thanks again,
    Scott

4. Preacher

Preacher Silver $$ Contributor

The rivet head needs to be drilled out.
    A good drill press and a good vise will make it easy to do..

5. jr600yd

jr600yd

Like Preacher said you have to drill the old stud of the extractor out. That was the hardest part. Put the new one in, hammer it tight and file off the excess. Done

6. Gundoktr

Gundoktr

It ain't the extractor that is the problem. if it pulls the cartridge out of the chamber it is probably OK.

Your problem lies in the fact the cartridge has a rebated rim and the thing is hanging up in the counterbore of the bolt nose. Take out the bolt and push a cartridge in and under the extractor; then push it out the side and see if it don't hang up.

Jim

7. sab

sab

Gudoktr:

I don't believe the rebated rim is the problem because I can put the case in the bolt when it's not in the rifle and the ejector will "fling" it very well. I'll know for sure next week. Brownell's sent an extractor that's due to arrive on Tuesday.

Thanks for the help,
    Scott

8. zcrackshot

zcrackshot

I built my 6.5-284 out of a remmy 700 LH LA 30-06. It was quite old when I tore it down and never thought to replace any parts. I have never had the slightest glitch with ejection on my gun unless I try to do it VERY slowly, then it does exactly as you're stating. I don't know if it makes any difference at all but mine has been teflon coated, I kinda doubt that has anything to do with it though. Just thought I'd let you know that mine is built out of the same rifle and I don't have any problems with it........yet, knock on wood! :)

Zac M.

9. sab

sab

Thanks, Zac! That makes me feel like the new extractor will get me fixed up!

Scott

10. kjcpoint

kjcpoint

a rivot staking tool is a plus as well. i got the parts if you need and can ship them at noon tomorrow if you need? not positive on the price until i get to the shop.

Yhanks
    Kyle

11. sab

sab

Kyle:

Thanks a bunch for the offer, but I think I'm good. A closer look revealed that the extractor is actually the new rivet-less style, so replacement will be simple!

I'll let y'all know if the extractor solves the problem.

Scott

12. sab

sab

Good news! The Brownells order arrived today, and I installed the new extractor. All is right with the world, now! OK, maybe not the world, but all is right with my rifle now! Thanks all of you for the help!

Scott

13. zcrackshot

zcrackshot

Glad things worked out for you! :)

14. Zephyrcattleco

Zephyrcattleco

Good afternoon,

I have a new custom rifle that is having this exact issue. I was wondering if anyone knows what extractor was purchased from Brownells? This thread is pretty old, but figured I'd try anyway.

Thanks,

Dillon