Killed 3 deer today and couldn't lie out of it.

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by daniel brothers, Dec 4, 2018.

1. daniel brothers

daniel brothers Silver $$ Contributor

LOL.... WOW....LOL Some of the logic here makes me think of the O.J. Simpson Trial....LOL.

What could be thought of as shooting blindly? Shot 1 is at her face.. shot 2 is at her shoulder 2 ft to the left.. shot 3 is now mid body a couple of ft more to the left. I thought it was all the same deer moving slightly to the left as I was missing it. What's the chance that after missing the does face that all of a sudden a man is hauling out a deer on his back behind that same blowdown at this same moment....LOL... O.J. all the way....LOL. Besides they weren't blind shots... they were dead deer kill shots... nothing blind about 3 shots... 3 kills.

bigstick6017555 and Bc'z like this.
  2. jds holler

jds holler Gold $$ Contributor

When we go into the wild with the intention of killing things, it is not uncommon for things to sometimes go badly or turn ugly.

The folks who are quick to pass harsh judgment, have blessedly been very lucky, or perhaps haven't done much killing. jd

Bojo, foxguy, Bc'z and 1 other person like this.
  3. daniel brothers

daniel brothers Silver $$ Contributor

This whole thread is not about the accidental killing of 3 deer with 3 shots... nor is it about the Game Wardens trying to do their job... it's about lying to get out of trouble, yet later on confessing up to the truth and facing up to one self and to the law.

For many years I was the BEST of sinners and could blaspheme and tell lies with the best of them. Then one night I heard a preacher on tv say that Jesus was knocking at the door of my heart, and that He was waiting on me to open the door and let Him in so that He could forgive my sins... save my soul... and fill me with His Presence. I knelt down in my living room floor and cried out... Oh Jesus... If you really love me, then Please forgive my sins... save my soul... and fill me with your Presence. Man O Man... it was like someone threw a blanket of pure love over me and wrapped me up with forgiveness... tears flowed as sins were watched away. The next morning was Sunday and I realized that I had a new desire to go to Church... and now the preacher made sense for the first time. I even received a tender conscience that convicted me about lying, stealing, drinking, drugging, whoring around and especially with married women. Wrong sex now became more dirty than I use to understand. It became harder to lie because the Holy Spirit now inside me was convicting me. I've had my ups and downs trying to walk out this Christian Life, and thought I had it together until I lied about that dink. That was my only sin to the Wardens.. to myself... and to the Lord. Guilt was eating me up during our walking around in the woods. I knew I had to confess up but was like Peter who denied Jesus 3 times... fearful and chicken and too self centered. When I confessed, it seemed like Heaven and Peace came back into my soul... and all fears left me.

That night lying in bed, all I could think about was my lying part, and how I was denying the Lord during that lie. Then this thought came to me... " A SOUL that is NOT convicted about lying... is a DEAD SOUL... your Soul is alive right now because I AM in you, and you are in Me... and you shall forever be with Me for all Eternity"

4. fredo

fredo

Novel idea.
    Especially so, given a time where we see so many attempts to bastardize/manipulate our Country's Judicial system, to benefit one over another...

Dan, ya did good to admit your errors.

Although we are all fallable, and can therefore empathize & respect your decision to come clean, you still made some bad choices that put you in that position...

Attempting to sanitize/justify those choices, after the fact, only to serves to dilute the hard 'lesson' that should be a takeaway for anyone reading along, as well as yourself.

In short, leave it be. You messed up...badly. A hard 'lesson' is supposed to 'sting', that's the point. The sooner you accept that fully, and don't give into justifying to avoid feeling that 'sting', the sooner you'll put this behind you & go on with your Life. And take solace in that a human was not injured/killed!!!

Be safe out there...

Jr solocam, Bc'z and Blackthorn like this.
  5. JRS

JRS Gold $$ Contributor

After reading your description about the shot placement, I'd say you were extremely lucky the deer died right there. Sounds like 2 of them were gut shot.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  6. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

Sooooo you never missed a target,or animal and your shooting is perfect in every way?
    I can honestly say I'm not, and willing to bet every gun in the safe you aren't either.
    The whole freakin shooting world knows the
    OP isn't after confessing his mistakes openly with a group of people I'm sure he considers friends/ comrades/family.
    As I stated earlier the 2nd n 3rd shot probably not the most ethical.
    But in all fairness NONE OF US WERE THERE!
    We dont know how much HAIR was visible to him as to why the follow up shots. All anyone is doing is drawing conclusions, and not even remotely trying to gain something from the story.
    Sooooo the way I read it, he's telling a story of his hunting failure not success, and that he's feeling pretty shitty about the whole thing.
    No I'm not taking any sides in this just not willing to watch and read people kick a man when he's already down.
    As humans and or Christian's this is our responsibility to each other.

7. pirate ammo

pirate ammo Guaranteed to take the wind out of their sails Gold $$ Contributor

correct

Bc'z likes this.
  8. BenPerfected

BenPerfected Gold $$ Contributor

Don’t know your local laws, but shooting 3 deer in a 1 deer bag limit is inexcusable. My thought is for you to consider giving up your hunting license....forever.
    Ben

ms6852 likes this.
  9. ImBIllT

ImBIllT

Absolutely I’m not perfect. Of course I’ve missed. I simply said that my biggest problem was with shooting at an animal when you can’t see all of it. Shooting an extra by mistake becaus it stood up when the first one dropped bothers me much less than shooting at parts. His 2nd and 3rd shots concern me for safety reasons. I’ve never shot at part of an animal when I couldn’t tell what part it was or see enough of it to know what I was shooting. Perhaps he’s a bad writer, but his original post seems very much to say that he shot at parts moving in the brush. I didn’t call him names tell him to quit hunting or anything. I simply stated that my biggest problem was with shooting at an animal that you cannot clearly see.

On a side note, a big takeaway here is that if you accidentally shoot an extra animal, you stil have to clean it and take it with you. If you try to hide it, you get nailed for waste of game in addition to being over limit. I honestly think it’s BS, to stack charges like that, but I’ve read about it being done.

daniel brothers and Bc'z like this.
  10. JRS

JRS Gold $$ Contributor

The OP lives in a state with generous limits. Unfortunately, he did something illegal. He moved that deer from the point of kill without tagging it, and tried to hide it. That's probably the reason he was cited.

Edit: Those Game Wardens have probably heard every excuse and story known to man. They have a job that comes with responsibilities, and as hunters, we too have responsibilities.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  11. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

Thank you

12. rebel

rebel Gold $$ Contributor

In my county, I can kill 2 bucks, 4 does. I can do it all on one day, with a North American mini revolver and 22 shorts. Our Wildlife Commision is of questionable intelligence, our biologists are worse but our enforcement guys are pretty good. Never met an impolite one.
    As far as the OP is concerned, I will not judge what he did by what he wrote. Big difference from reading what happened and seeing what happened. OK you got a ticket, move on. From your humility, I'd say you had punished yourself far worse than any monetary fine.
    As far as criticism online, welcome to the world where everyone can be anonymously perfect and never screw up, their kids don't need braces and kill deer dead at 458 yards with one shot every time.
    To those being harsh, Karma is a bitch.

13. MQ1

MQ1 Gold $$ Contributor

Thanks for sharing your lesson, Daniel. I’m going to make sure my son reads this thread so he can learn from your experience.

MQ1

14. Dgd6mm

Dgd6mm Silver $$ Contributor

^^^^^This for all you high and mighties^^^^^

15. IdahoSharpshooter

IdahoSharpshooter Gold $$ Contributor

what a wonderful story to tell. In Idaho you would be looking at loss of the firearm, your vehicle, a lot of $$$ fine, loss of hunting privileges for a couple years, and the likely hood of getting some new orange coveralls to celebrate Christmas in.

I cannot believe you use religion after the fact to base your eventual honesty on. What you have done if you were not caught?

And the rest of you, quite a fan club you have formed here...

God will forgive you, but you will still face (I hope) the maximum consequences for your sin.

16. Kermit in Va.

Kermit in Va.

Idahoss...i feel sorry for you.
    Someday...youll understand...

daniel brothers and JRS like this.
  17. JRS

JRS Gold $$ Contributor

"By your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned".

18. people

people

In ND they would tell you the same thing until you look up the actual laws. It would basically be a fine and a low cost one also. The long of it is they use fear to keep you in check. I wonder if ID uses the same tactic as ND

19. Milo 2.0

Milo 2.0 Gold $$ Contributor

There comes a time in almost every mans life when he may have to lie, unfortunately, this wasn't one of them. Sometimes following our Fathers advice of coming clean right away is always easier.
    To the op, I bet you wont pull your pants down with this crowd again, lol

20. 2506

"He who is without sin cast the first stone." Everybody can't be perfect like they think they are. Glad I don't have to rely on my merits but on the blood of Jesus to cover my sin. "All our righteousness is as filthy rags". To drive that point home those filthy rags are speaking of women's minstrel cloths.

Kermit in Va. likes this.