Killed 3 deer today and couldn't lie out of it.

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by daniel brothers, Dec 4, 2018.

1. daniel brothers

daniel brothers Silver $$ Contributor

I was sneaking around in the woods today when I heard a deer blow up the hill near a windfall blowdown. My Binos revealed a doe kinda looking towards me at about 90 yds. I steadied my Tikka 7mag across a deadfall limb near me, and took the shot. Then I saw deer body move through the limbs... I aimed and shot again... then more body parts moving around.. so i shot again and it flopped over. WOW... I got one. Upon inspection... three deer lay behind the blowdown... two does and a yearling. I then panicked and hid the yearling under another windfall. Attached my two public land does tags and drug them down the hill in the opposite direction of my van, so I could drive around to them instead of a long drag back to my van... making for a closer drag with two deer to the closer road. As I'm walking back to my van... I'm thinking about what am I going to do with that yearling. I NEVER WASTE game, but what was I going to do.... and I wasn't happy about even shooting that second doe because one is enough per hunt ... NOT TWO .... let alone three. At my van the Badge Boys showed up with many questions. I instantly told them the story about the two does, and that one was an accident, in case two per day was illegal.,,which it's not... but i wasn't sure. They wanted to see the gut piles... where I shot from... and where the does lay... so I took them back and showed them everything except the yearling. The whole time my gut was turning over and over as the Holy Spirit was convicting me of that lie. Finally one guy said.. you shot three times and only killed two deer... I said yes sir... but then after walking another 10 steps I stopped, turned around to them and said... no... I killed three, and that I cannot lie about it any longer...do what you must, but I cannot tell you another lie. I then showed them the yearling and all hell broke loose with them and with my conscience of guilt for denying the Lord with that lie.

I tried to explain that both second and third deer were accidents... but it was all about the deception and lie... which I totally understood. I knew I had to come clean in order to live clean, because lying is never a part of my lifestyle. I'm always preaching against lying, and I knew i would be tested, but when it came, I folded and failed.
    But now as I type this confession... I feel better inside... even though it will cost me money in court next month... but that's okay because money can NEVER be worth more than a clean conscience. On the drive home all I could think of was Bible Scriptures about satan being the Father of those who lie, and that no liars will ever enter Heaven... and the worst part was that I had denied the Lord... and that right there is what broke me up... and still breaks me up. Confession really is good for the Soul... and NOW... my soul feels good again with His Peace and Forgiveness.

I'm not sure why I'm revealing my sin today, but maybe someone can relate to it and find peace again.

Thanks Guys... May Jesus Bless You All in Many Ways.... Dan

PS... the testing of our faith is REALLY GOOD FOR US... even though it hurts... but only for a moment... eternity is nothing to play with... or dismiss.

2. timeout

timeout Silver $$ Contributor

I don't know what to say Dan. I'm not your judge or jury. I wasn't there to witness what you saw, or perhaps more correctly, didn't see. It kind of scares me that you were hunting on public land and shot 3 different deer thinking it was all the same deer. I'm not questioning your character or honesty. I am wondering about your eyesight? There comes a time when we all have to face the fact that we ought not be in the woods any longer. I wish you the very best sir, but be honest with yourself before an accident happens. If I'm totally off base here, I apologise.

FJIM, pacificman, 'Freak and 5 others like this.
  3. Mulligan

Mulligan Gold $$ Contributor

Strong finish indeed!
    CW

4. Plumsask

Plumsask

My friend did this exact thing ..... only with moose....

DennisH likes this.
  5. people

people

Classic.

I did something close to that. I took a shot just under 400yds and recoil ment I could not see the doe go down but when I was back on the scope my brother said you are right on shoot. So I fired a second shot. When I was back on the scope there was a doe still standing. My brother very calmly said you are right on fire. As I pulled the trigger I was thinking man these bullets suck.

Long story short shot one dropped the first doe and in my recoil a second stood up. Same thing happened again and there where no doe left after the third shot.

I have never hunted with that rifle again. Still good memories of going three for three.

6. Mistman

Mistman

I shot 2 bucks one time. There were 3 together but I only saw 2 at any given time. After the 1st shot there were still 2 bucks walking, I'd shot at the rear one. So I shot the rear one again and he dropped. Went over and gutted it out and started thinking that the 1st shot felt pretty good and the one I got just dropped so I walked back to where I fired the 1st time and there was another one laying there. I was hunting off my property and my wife had a tag, I hung them in the barn and didn't think twice about it except that was a 1st for me. I'd heard similar stories but had never had anything like that happen, nor since.

I do appreciate your being forthright and coming clean, both w/yourself and the law. Sometimes our thoughts aren't running the right track when stressed or facing a potential problem and it takes a few minutes to reassess things. I understand the encounter completely.

What I'm not quite understanding, and I'm not one to usually start things or point out someones foibles. But I have to tell you you put your foot in your mouth a bit when you stated "Then I saw deer body move through the limbs... I aimed and shot again... then more body parts moving around.. so i shot again and it flopped over. WOW... I got one." 1st, you didn't make sure your 1st shot was good before you started shooting again. I've let nice bucks walk after shooting if I thought I'd already hit one, regardless of whether I did or not. 2nd, you shot through brush at a moving body, clearly not able to id the animal or ensure good shot placement. I learned that when I was 5 or 6, never shoot through the brush at anything much less something you can only see parts of. 3rd, you did it twice.

'Freak and Jr solocam like this.
  7. DirtySteve

DirtySteve Gold $$ Contributor

You did the right thing... You will sleep better knowing nothing can ever come back to haunt you later. Nothing beats a good nights sleep..

foxguy, McGraw, DennisH and 2 others like this.
  8. Kermit in Va.

Kermit in Va.

Thank you very much...
    You know if it didn't bother you...you would be
    in bad shape. Might not mean much to some but
    your my hero. Keep it up.

Kermit

foxguy, timeout, Mulligan and 2 others like this.
  9. daniel brothers

Eyesight....LOL. I had my glasses on....LOL. It was a big treetop that they were standing behind, so the deer body parts only moved around a couple of feet within those limbs... and I only thought there was the one deer. All three deer dropped in their tracks, but I didn't know that when looking through the scope again after the recoil... I just saw what I thought was the same deer... and wondering about my rifle's scope more than my eyesight...LOL.

The #1 lesson I learned was this... I should have called the Game Warden the moment I knew the problem... he said it would have been understandable and only given a warning ticket.

Another lesson learned... Lying Cost.

teele1, foxguy, Lone Hunter and 2 others like this.
  10. JSH

JSH

"It was a bigtreetop that they were standing behind, so the deer body parts only moved around a couple of feet within those limbs"

And that is how people get shot. Not 110% sure of your target. Just keep shooting......this is not the first time I have heard such.

You did the right thing as mentioned above. I hope others will learn from your mistake/mishap.

11. snert

snert Gold $$ Contributor

Methinks this is a case of writing less good than shooting.

I doubt it was mistaken identity or unsafe...just written in a way to make you able to think that.

Either way, good lesson, thanks for sharing it because it touches on the morality of being a person of integrity.

rebel, foxguy, McGraw and 3 others like this.
  12. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

Well sir one thing is for sure being a Christian and living with God in your heart.
    You are forgiven

Rem6br, stacy, DirtySteve and 2 others like this.
  13. AckleymanII

AckleymanII Gold $$ Contributor

Looks like you found your DRT load!!!

A good defense is that you have been used to them running off! It is hard to change your expectations!

Must have been a shock that all of them dropped in their tracks, and multiple DRT animals.

Shame and shock defined the situation.

14. pacificman

pacificman

Takes a lot to tell others what you have done and I can say that this kind of thing has happened to more
    hunters than you think...not just deer but bird hunting too...Aiming at one goose and killing two or three
    with one shot...and be over your limit :eek::D. Most all hunters care and pay for the game we hunt. If a
    mistake is made take the game home ...never waste a game animal and then learn from your mistake. ;)

Mulligan, Bojo and timeout like this.
  15. JRS

JRS Gold $$ Contributor

Easy to say, and often illegal to do.

pacificman likes this.
  16. pacificman

pacificman

You are right! I'm just saying ...never waste your game animal after a mistake. It's up to you what
    you do next when if you have more than a limit. :)

Mulligan likes this.
  17. JRS

JRS Gold $$ Contributor

I wouldn't take the chance. Losing your privilege to hunt or having your firearm confiscated wouldn't be good.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  18. fredo

fredo

"To err is human, to forgive divine"...
    -Alexander Pope

Bc'z and Mulligan like this.
  19. daniel brothers

Shame and shock defined the situation.

That is the true statement of that moment.

There is not a person on this board that would not have taken that shot at the doe looking towards him through the limbs of that windfall. There was no hunter or danger standing there looking towards me... just a deer face. After I got back into the scope after the shot, I see what looked like the same deer move left a couple of feet. Thinking I missed or got bullet reflection from those limbs, I aimed better and shot again. After getting back into the scope after that shot, I see this same deer a little more to the left, but in a more open area. Upon that shot, it fell over. I never knew there was more than one deer. I thought I was missing for some odd reason. It's amazing how many thoughts flash through your mind during those melt down situations. I always prepare to drag one out, but not more, and this was a disappointment to me, because now I'm done hunting on WMA land with my 5 deer tagged out limit... it's only private land now... which I only have a 18 acre and 34 acre spot.
    I found out that the wardens wanted to see the gut piles and shooting spot because there was some private land that ran back through there and thought I might be on the wrong side of the line... which I wasn't.... and... they thought I might be baiting on public land... which I wasn't. They looked at everything and were satisfied, and as we were walking out and he asked me about the three shots and only two deer, and after that bold face lie, conviction and guilt grabbed my heart and made me surrender the truth no matter what the cost.... and my Soul is the Better for it.

Rushty, FJIM, foxguy and 3 others like this.
  20. Bojo

Bojo

As other above have said many hunter have done the same.
    When an honest mistake like that happens nobody would be happy with themselves at all. With that being said I do not believe in wasting meat either. I'm gona butcher it and not let it rot for the bear and coyote they can kill thier own. My own metal state of knowing I made a mistake is more than enough without having someone who was not there at the time penalize /charge me on top of that.
    We all learn more from the school of hard knocks it just suck bad when johnny law think u should be penalized more for an honest mistake.
    Yes you should havery been up front with them at first , but lied because u did not want your balls busted further. Not because you were intentionally poaching.

pacificman likes this.