Kelblys SA Tactical VS Tac 30 Stiller

Discussion in 'Gear Talk: What to Buy? and Gear Evaluations' started by glider, Jun 19, 2019.

1. glider

glider Gold $$ Contributor

Wanting to hear what opinions are out there regarding these two actions having similar price points .
    All comments appreciated
    Stiller tac 30 sa
    Kelblys tactical sa

2. lancexxx

lancexxx Buchanan Accuracy Gold $$ Contributor

Both are good, Might give the edge to kelbys. Can't go wrong with either

3. 1shot

1shot

I don't know anything about the Stiller, but the Kelbly family is second to none in customer support/satisfaction.
    I hope this helps,

Lloyd

eric n, dmoran, kneedtospeed and 2 others like this.
  4. Willow

Willow

I got a Kelblys and for the most part like it but its being looked at by a gunsmith at the moment due to extreme pressure on cocking - the bolt handle is very hard to lift and close - could possibly be related to the Timney CE trigger but cannot confirm yet. Either way it recently developed this problem and is no longer the smooth, slick action when I first bought it. I'm not saying keep away from them, but something to be mindful of depending on your choice of trigger.

Pav67 likes this.
  5. moondog

moondog Gold $$ Contributor

Have a short action Atlas, long action black bear. I like them enough to sell a couple of my other custom actions. Buddy fondled mine and is doing the same. Plus, like 1shot
    stated, the Kelbly's folks are second to none.

6. boltfluter

boltfluter Gold $$ Contributor

Kelbly for the win. Really no comparison as far as fit and finish go. One of the best companies to deal with if you ever have a problem. Willow, you have a trigger problem. :D:D

Paul

eddief and Damfino like this.
  7. moondog

moondog Gold $$ Contributor

I run Jewell triggers and they are smooth!
    I agree with Mr. Fluter, trigger problem.
    I've heard Bullet Central has an adjustable trigger hanger for timing them. That may be an option for ya.

8. Prose

Prose

I have a stiller SA and it runs great, shoots in the .2's, no problems.

When I look for new actions though, I look at Kelblys. They are innovative and the tactical looks pretty awesome. My stiller is great, but it doesn't feel all that special.

9. Toby Bradshaw

Toby Bradshaw Gold $$ Contributor

I have both, and prefer the Kelbly Atlas. The TG ejector (mechanical, not spring-plunger) works well with short cases like the BR feeding/ejecting from an AICS magazine (see video below), and makes it easy to set up the full-length resizing die because the ejector doesn't put any pressure on the case head in battery.

10. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Don't criticize the farmer with your mouth full. Gold $$ Contributor

I have Stillers, Pierces and one Gunwerks, but my next will be a Kelbly.

1shot likes this.
  11. jepp2

jepp2 Gold $$ Contributor

Similar, but the Kelbly is a lower cost option and comes with better features IMO.

I was all set to buy a Stiller LA and called my gunsmith (Kevin Weaver) to get his view and recommendation. He suggested I go with the Kelbly Atlas Tactical. Once I watched their video, I was hooked. I'm happy with mine.

12. Willow

Willow

It's not compatible with the Atlas action unfortunately.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  13. greisdor

greisdor Gold $$ Contributor

Kelby Atlas — 18 TPI. NoN Remington

Stiller TAC 30. — 16TPI. Matches Remington

14. glider

are you referring to jewel?

15. eddief

eddief Gold $$ Contributor

No contest at all, Kelbly over the Stiller.

16. 1shot

1shot

I have four BB Pandas and they use the same Rem. 700 style triggers using the supplied hanger bracket as the Atlas action. Thus far I have two EXtreme triggers, and old but very good Davies and a B&A competition model. All work flawlessly in my actions.
    If I were starting from scratch, knowing what I know now, I would be looking very hard at the Atlas.
    I hope this helps,

Lloyd

17. Willow

Willow

No, the trigger hanger advertised for Kelbly Panda actions says it is not compatible with the Atlas or Black Bear action according to Bullets Central website. I've just ordered a Bix'n'Andy Pro Comp trigger as i was after something a bit more crisp than the Timney...we'll see how it goes and whether my gunsmith identifies any other issues priot to the new trigger arriving.

18. glider

you should have no problems on Atlas I have a LA Atlas with B&A also. no need to adjust
    Atlas comes with trigger hanger

Willow likes this.
  19. 69mach

69mach Silver $$ Contributor

I’ve had 3 Stiller actions, 2 tac 30s and one predator over the years. I’ve still got one if each and will probably never sell them. Honestly I don’t think you can go wrong with a Stiller, an atlas, a defiance tenacity, a bighorn origin or any of the other budget minded actions from well known manufacturers

jepp2 and 284winner like this.
  20. shooter74

shooter74 Silver $$ Contributor

Had the same issue when I installed a timney unto my blueprinted 700. The housing was warped little work on the trigger and it works perfectly now.