Kahles K1050 review

Discussion in 'Scopes, Optics, LRFs, Spotters, BoreScopes' started by tom, Feb 3, 2018.

1. tom

tom Gold $$ Contributor

Many of you who have followed the "scope testing" thread (http://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/scope-testing.3928325/) Probably saw I've tested a couple kahles 10-50 x 56 target scopes for poa shift. I have been waiting until I had a chance to get some range time at 1000 yards before writing a complete review.

This all started when Dennis Peterson, pictured below, showed up to the 2017 NW 1000 benchrest championship with one. It was a smoke filled sky, and visibility was very poor. I personally struggled with my 10-60 March to see the mirage, and shot some horrific scores to prove it! Dennis proceeded to go 4 for 4 perfect 50's in light gun, on his way to the light gun overall title.

20776789_730781317126722_3513241906322329991_o.jpg

A few weeks later Dennis asked me to test the scope for reticle rigidity. Here are the results below.

20171022_121334.jpg

After being thoroughly impressed, I asked around and found one for myself. Of course the first thing I did was take it out and put it through the poa testing. Results below!

20171218_202623.jpg

So now all I had to know was how it performs optically. One thing I learned from all the scope testing at 100 yards is that they ALL looked pretty much the same. We have found that at 1000, optics set themselves apart. I used the K1050 at 1000 yards late last fall and found it to be satisfactory. The mirage was rolling left to right, and I could see details in it like I've not seen before. Resolution of the target was decent that day, and I would have rated it on par with the 12-42 Nightforce benchrest scopes.

This past Monday I was able to take the day off and drive to Missoula to tune, and get another day with the scope. I waited out a fog delay, and ended up with some ideal shooting, and viewing conditions. After Monday I would rate resolution just a shade below the Nightforce benchrest with a BIG step down to the Vortex golden eagle, and a smaller step down from there to the March 10-60. The K1050 is extremely "comfortable" to shoot a string behind, a lot like a 12-42 benchrest in the eye box/lack of criticality. The paralax is something that sets this scope apart, besides the reticle staying put. I have never been so "sure" that I am totally paralax free, it looks like the reticle is drawn on the target.

All things considered, I am looking to buy another! Of course it don't hurt when the rifle it's mounted to shoots small! See below;).....Hmmmm, thinking there's not much reticle shifting going on!

20180203_082307 (2).jpg

I think I found my new favorite, and we have convinced our local store to carry them!

Tom

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    simo hayha, dedeadeye, DLG and 13 others like this.
  2. Ledd Slinger

Ledd Slinger Gold $$ Contributor

Excellent review and very nice shooting. Extremely impressive considering that was 2 different powder charges in a ladder test! Unbelievable...

Didn't know Dennis had one. Have to go see him when I get home.

"Look! Is that a bear in your yard Dennis?" #grabkahlesk1050andrun!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
    walker2713, Hoodoo and tom like this.
  3. LA50SHOOTER

LA50SHOOTER Gold $$ Contributor

Excellent Post Tom !!

Thank You Indeed !!

DLG and tom like this.
  4. 3dogs

3dogs

Tom
    Thanks for taking the time to do this review
    Jim

tom likes this.
  5. jghoghunter

jghoghunter Gold $$ Contributor

I'm sorry correct me if I'm wrong I may be confused about the resolution of the scopes. Are you saying the order of resolution from best to worst is:

1 Nightforce BR
    2 Kahles K1050
    3 Vortex GE 15-60
    4 March 10-60 (high master or standard?)

I'm not trying to start anything, I'm just possibly confused on what you saying and I appreciate your review and I want to understand what you are saying.
    Thanks

6. tom

tom Gold $$ Contributor

Sorry about how I chose to write that. Sometimes I forget that not everyone has has thousands of rounds behind most all these optics at 1k.

Here is how I would rate resolution of the popular 1k target scopes.

1-Nightforce 15-55 competition
    2-Nightforce 12-42 BR
    3-Kahles K10-50
    4-Vortex Golden Eagle
    5-March 10-60 HIGH MASTER
    6-March 10-60x52
    7-12-50 Smidt and Bender
    8-March 8-80 x 56

I don't have any time behind sightron or IOR scopes as of yet to give an opinion. As of now I wish the Kahles and Nightforce competition would BREED lol.

From the POA rigidity, in case you missed the scope check thread.

1- K10-50
    2- March 10-60 x 52
    3/4 (tied) 12-42 BR and Vortex GE
    5- March high master
    6- 15-55 comp

Keep in mind this is based on small sample sizes, but no less than 2 of each. The 8-80, 12-50 didn't stick around long enough to ever be put on a scope checker, as the optics were to horrific to ever be used.

Tom

Edit to clarify one thing. The golden eagle, and march high master are closer to the top in favorable conditions. They take a huge step down when conditions get worse, and that's what I see as the difference.

7. Ledd Slinger

Ledd Slinger Gold $$ Contributor

There's no doubt Austrian manufacturers set the bar for the rest of the world when it comes to optical quality and performance

Swarovski took a swing at the tactical scope market in 2015 with their X5 series after they saw Kahles having success with the introduction of the K series scope line in 2012.
    Now I hope Swarovski steps up and produces a high power competition scope....15-60x SwaroVision HD glass with 34mm tube and 80 MOA of elevation on X5 turret system. WHOA!!! :eek:

8. jghoghunter

jghoghunter Gold $$ Contributor

Thanks for the clarification.

tom likes this.
  9. Nature Boy

Nature Boy

Thanks for the review. I have a k1050 coming. If it’s as good as you say and comparable to my k624 l’ll be very happy

tom likes this.
  10. tom

tom Gold $$ Contributor

A little birdie told me that @Jay Christopherson might get to look through one a the southwest nationals. This should help with the "how does it do when the mirage gets bad" questions. This is the biggest difference to me between real optics and wannabes.

Tom

kneedtospeed likes this.
  11. Jay Christopherson

Jay Christopherson Administrator

In my opinion, the resolution on the Kahles is a little closer to the Comp than even Tom rated it. I haven't used a BR so I can't compare the two, but myself and others came away very impressed in heavy mirage at 1000 yards. There was *far* more resolved detail than what I was using, and what I was using was no slouch.

12. AlloyTargets

AlloyTargets Site $$ Sponsor

"Refurbished" ones show to be in stock for $2,421 at Midway... About $400 below MAP. I'm not looking for one (at least not yet, LOL), but thought I'd share the info for any of you that may be.

Refurbished. I wonder what that really means???

Ledd Slinger and tom like this.
  13. 3dogs

3dogs

For a wee bit more you can get a new one,
    shop around
    Jim

AlloyTargets and tom like this.
  14. dpete

dpete

Speaking of shopping around... our local sporting goods store has committed to stocking 6-24’s as well as 10-50’s. Already have several presold ... they offer best price guarantee and will ship. If u’d like info you can pm myself or Tom!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2018
    Ledd Slinger likes this.
  15. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

A 6-24 Kahles is the next scope on my list! Need one for the 2k rig.

16. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

Man those Kahles are selling out fast. National back order coming soon I expect. LOL Kahles had better ramp up production.

17. Jay Christopherson

Jay Christopherson Administrator

They might be ugly, but effective trumps pretty any day.

nakneker likes this.
  18. tom

tom Gold $$ Contributor

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder... I also notice lots of folks posting pictures of fancy looking rifles.....But I like target pictures!

Tom

19. Fred Bohl

Fred Bohl Gold $$ Contributor

Tom,

Would you please define what you mean by "resolution" and how do you measure it?

Also you said "One thing I learned from all the scope testing at 100 yards is that they ALL looked pretty much the same. We have found that at 1000, optics set themselves apart. I used the K1050 at 1000 yards late last fall and found it to be satisfactory. The mirage was rolling left to right, and I could see details in it like I've not seen before. Resolution of the target was decent that day, and I would have rated it on par with the 12-42 Nightforce benchrest scopes." in your review. Are you suggesting that your "resolution" is different at 100 and 1000 yards?

20. tom

tom Gold $$ Contributor

Fred,

What I mean is that some handle conditions better. Both by extending distance and when it gets ugly. Details of the target is all I mean by resolution. So let's say under cloud cover, no mirage vs high sky heavy mirage, some scopes resolve better under the later, but most do plenty good enough under the former.

I chuckle every time I read "everyone's eye's are different". I don't know how many times we've set up 5 guns with 5 different optics up, with all of them focused at the same target. NEVER once has any human (legal to drive) ever dissented in the ranking of all 5. We do this at 1000 while at a match. I would have a harder time at 100 ranking optics.

Tom

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    bpmoss1 and dmoran like this.