Just purchased my first 6mmBR

Discussion in '6BR, 6BR Improved & Wildcats' started by DeadWoodDan, Feb 7, 2018.

1. DeadWoodDan

DeadWoodDan

Have been reading all winter about the 6BR, so much info, I just can't adsorb enough. Missed a nice rifle in the adds and had a few members reach out with offers, but nothing that matched the asking price. Then I found one on GunBroker within an 1 hrs drive. Waited all Sunday for bid to end and passed out during last hour. Had previously emailed seller asking info and a proposal if it didn't sell.....Monday morning came and checked add and GB said re-posted!! I immediately contacted seller only to find out it was on GB end. Then came Tuesday...

Picked up a used Savage Target Action F-class last night! Ended up getting dies, 148rnds loaded ammo, 2 boxes of Hornady 105's, and a cheap plastic case for good money. Previous owner showed me a target he shot at 100yds, with what would be expected out of this caliber. Figured it has less than 400rnds down tube, so good and broke in. Hope it shoots!!

Can't wait for weather to break and see what I can do at 300yrds +. Have been looking for some time, specifically wanting to shoot 300yds and farther and hope some day to go on a PD hunt.

upload_2018-2-7_14-43-56.png
    upload_2018-2-7_14-44-29.png upload_2018-2-7_14-44-53.png

DanSavage and Terry like this.
  2. waterdog

waterdog Gold $$ Contributor

You are going to like your 6mm BR. Prepare for lots of fun. You will be surprised at how good it groups at long distance.
    Keep us posted on how it shoots.

Terry likes this.
  3. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE Gold $$ Contributor

Everybody needs a few 6br rifles.

nakneker likes this.
  4. nakneker

nakneker Gold $$ Contributor

You’ll enjoy that purchase. You may start an itch that gets hard to scratch, 6BR, 6BRA, Dasher, 22BR........ it’s that fun.

5. DeadWoodDan

DeadWoodDan

Really tried to wrap my head around all those improved cartridges, but in the end decided to start where there was more info and what seemed to be the most traveled path. Since I'm more of a hobbyist trying to improve marksmanship skills vs competitor I wanted something to complement the .223 and .204R I will be shooting also.

kneedtospeed likes this.
  6. jpx2rk

jpx2rk

To DWD;
    Did you consider the 6x45 in your process? From my limited knowledge and research, this round seems easy to set up for and is very accurate from my readings. Don't want to sidetrack your thread, congrats on the purchase.

7. mikeeg02

mikeeg02 Silver $$ Contributor

I bought that same rifle new. Shot berger 105 hybrids very very well for a factory rifle. I enjoyed winning factory class ground hog matches (out to 500 yards) and being middle ground competitive at 850-1,000 yard silhouettes. Certainly a good way to start the addiction ;)

mikeinct likes this.
  8. DeadWoodDan

DeadWoodDan

Have considered multiple cartridges, but AS "mikeeg02" stated, the Savage BR or FT/R is by far the best platform to build the addiction on. It was easy to shop for the most common calibers and make a decision to swap barrel first or have fun, learn and then decide on something wild.

Lots of interesting cartridges and don't think I will ever have enough time to try them all, but going to try my best. DWD

9. zap

zap Silver $$ Contributor

Congrats on your 1st 6 br. I put my 1st br barrel on a target action this past fall. Very easy to get to shoot. Do try the 80 gr Berger flat bases and varget just for giggles out to 300 yards. They are very impressive.

10. DeadWoodDan

DeadWoodDan

That the feedback i was hoping to see. My plan to get comfortable with and work on my skills.

kneedtospeed likes this.
  11. Cory porter

Cory porter Silver $$ Contributor

Get a 105g bullet and 29-30g of varget and load it to the lands and I bet you’ll be super happy. I have the same rifle

12. Jet

Jet Gold $$ Contributor

Dan

Do a sort on those Hornady 105s for base to ogive before loading them. Those bullets will cause you to scratch your head when setting your seating depth.

Good shooting

Rich

13. 6.5creed

6.5creed Silver $$ Contributor

Dan I watched that rifle on GB also. I ended up putting a 6br barrel on an old 112 j series single shot bought off GB then a few days later bought a 6 brX on GB also. Waiting for it to warm up enough to get after it the I'll be all over the PDs.

14. DanSavage

DanSavage

I've got a model 10 4.4 Varmint action that I dropped in same stock as yours and bedded it. I love it!
    I have 2, 6 br barrels a Eabco accuracy and a full bull Bartlien. Both barrels are extremely accurate. I use the Hornady 105 in the Eabco and 107 SMK in the Bartlien. Both with Varget, never had to mess with load development.
    28.5 with Hornady bullet and I think 28 with the Bartlien.
    I went little up over 30 in both with no problem but I don't need it that high for long strings of fire under 500 yards.

I only had one problem ever. It was
    102F on my last 20 shot string, was down to 4 shots left when my bolt felt awfully gritty. I pulled the bolt to have a look and realized I had a galled lugs,, not terrible but knew she was HOT. I ended up firing the last 4 rounds keeping my head up and back a little after the cross hairs were on the x. Ended up shooting a clean at 500 yards with no pits or flags,, yes there is lots of witnesses lol.

Got home and lapped the lugs back in myself starting with 220 grit and working to Jb then iosso. Didn't hurt a thing. That was with the Eabco barrel and 28.5 of Varget. Both 6 BR barrels are safe and sound on my barrel shelf as I am playing with my new Kreiger 6 Dasher barrel.