Just HOW good is Sightron glass???

Discussion in 'Scopes, Optics, LRFs, Spotters, BoreScopes' started by Ledd Slinger, Feb 12, 2018.

1. XTR

XTR

That kind of ended about the time Honda started making cars

eddief and USMCDOC like this.
  2. smokinghole

smokinghole

I'm buying a sightron 6-24 soon. If you guys are military veterans they also offer direct pricing lower than MAP. Email sales or call and they'll tell you how to get the discount price list. I can't even come close the price anywhere even with sales and free shipping.

3. nmkid

nmkid Gold $$ Contributor

I have a S111 6x24x50 and I feel it's very good glass for the money spent. Can't adjust the eyepiece very fine but, it's my eye's fault not the scope. On the other hand the POI hasn't changed on it in over a year.

4. mysticplayer

mysticplayer

Competing in F class, I can see and put the dot (LRMOA reticle) of my SIII10-50X60 at 32X, on, or on either side of, the scoring rings on an NRA LR target at 1000yds.

If mirage gets so muddy that I cannot see the rings, pretty much every other scopes can't see them either.

If there is no mirage and you have "clean" air, the resolution and clarity of my SIII is just behind the SV which compares well to a whole range of very expensive Euro and NA scopes.

I would say, at 2 to 3 times the costs, you may get 3 to 5% more resolution vs the SIII.

The SIII6-24 compares very well and offers enough clarity and resolution to engage milk jug sized targets at 1 mile at 24X.

The 8-32 continues in this vein and many find the glass offers better resolution then the 10-50 at the high end. For shooters in F class, this is the scope I recommend most often.

I have done side by side with March, S&B, Delta optical, NF NXS and comp, Athlon Cronus and Ares...

Jerry

284winner and LarryDScott like this.
  5. 6MMsteve

6MMsteve Gold $$ Contributor

I think the 12x42 NF has a little more clarity, but I run my 12x42 on 30x at 100 same with my Siii 105060 I can't tell them apart, but I would really like to have a 8x32 Siii I think that's where the best clarity is imho either scope is good you will be happy with 1 or the other or just buy them both then you can have it all lol if money is tight get the Siii if not get the NF comp, I'm poor so I buy used hand me downs and I'm happy as a pig in butter with honey

6. msinc

msinc

For shooting during the day in good light I doubt it will matter. If you are going to hunt black bear over bait in areas where they get some pressure and know what a human is they get real smart real quick and don't hit the bait until it's almost dark, if at all. Success of your hunt will for sure depend on a scope that will take you well into very poor light. If you don't have top of the line European glass you wont have to worry too much about a taxidermy bill. Unless you get lucky and one moves early. Again, if you are not trying to see in the "just about completely dark" then it doesn't matter. I don't have European glass on my woodchuck guns and it's not for lack of having the scopes.
    Many people cannot afford the ridiculous price of a European scope and so all they have is to dream that they are no better than Asian. I have seen two Asian's that come real close though...The Nikon Monarch Gold and the NightFarce SHV. I still wouldn't take either one on a bear hunt, but they will all but take you to legal shooting time. I had to play with the adjustments on the SHV to get it where it belonged in poor light. Prior to that I thought it was a joke.

7. ms6852

ms6852

I have bought 4 Sightron scopes, they alright!

8. Ledd Slinger

Ledd Slinger Gold $$ Contributor

I was wondering if they were 'exceptional'. Sounds like they are about like the reviews I've read. Really good glass and function 'for the money', but nothing that will blow your socks off. Thanks for all the input :)

9. ranger3

ranger3

I have three Sightrons 2 8x32, 1 10x50. Have three VortexViper pat and a couple Leupold
    Sightrons is first choice from now on.

10. x_wolf

x_wolf

Can you compare the 8-32 vs. the 10-50? Let's say by 25x and around 32x magnification. Thx.

11. jimmymac

jimmymac Silver $$ Contributor

Anybody running one of their fixed power scopes?

12. gme

gme Site $$ Sponsor

I own 3 sIII 's, two 6-24x50 and a 10-50x60, they all track very reliably, the 6-24's glass are excellent, the 10-50 is also excellent up to about 35 power, above that I think its ok, the 60mm objective makes the scope overly bulky in my opinion

13. rkittine

rkittine Gold $$ Contributor

For weight I have one of their fixed power 36x scopes on one of my 100 yard rifles and thought it is a Sightron II, I think it is better than the 36X Weaver Target scopes that I have.

Bob

jimmymac likes this.
  14. SS427

SS427

My high end scopes, by my definition anyway, include a Nightforce 15-55x competition, Golden Eagle 15-60x, Sightron 10-50x, and two Sightron 8-32x.

Nightforce scope makes me think wow every time I look through it. And the Sightron 8-32x with target dot makes me think wow as well. That scope had to be the pick of the litter of glass that week. The Golden Eagle and the other two Sightron scopes are impressive glass but don't make me think wow.

The 10-50x Sightron with the 60mm objective is HUGE. Great scope but a little unwieldy. I don't notice the 56mm objectives that much but they are big too. All the Sightrons have parallax knobs that almost need a pair of vice grips to adjust them, although one is better than the others. I like the smaller objectives of the Nightforce and GE better for sure.

While I still like it, the Golden Eagle is my least favorite. The reticle dot is too small for me but I do like the rest of the ECR reticle a lot. The eye box position is hyper critical to my eyes. Turrets are still a little mushy even though I've tried a few tricks suggested here to help the situation. Parallax knob works perfect and much better than the Sightrons. It starts to dim above about 45x, where none of the other scopes seem to have nearly as much light transmission drop off.

CamTheBam and Ledd Slinger like this.
  15. ranger3

ranger3

OK, here is my analysis, the one 8 x 32 I have I think is exceptional and at 32 it is still excellent. My 10-50 is very good I'd say to 45 or so. at 25, they are both exceptional and that is my typical power for 1000k shooting for either scope. My best comparison is for PD's the 8 x 32 and the 10-50 are both top notch at 32 and the 10-50 is still exceptional at 40-45. My comparison to the one Golden Eagle I looked through is that the Golden Eagle was better at 50 but the reticle was tooo fine for my eyes. my next scope if I'm buying new is likely another 10-50 unless I get a real deal on an 8-32. I actually haven't used the one 8-32 yet. Hope this helps. all my reticles are MOA-2 or MOAH. Love the MOAH.

x_wolf likes this.
  16. 284winner

284winner Silver $$ Contributor

I own 3 STAC scopes. How do the SIII scopes compare optically to the STAC glass ?

17. mysticplayer

mysticplayer

SIII glass is better

Jerry

18. dstoenner

dstoenner Silver $$ Contributor

My original f-class scope was a S3 8-32 moa2. I was fairly new to shooting at 1000 so didn’t know what to expect. On this day the mirage was really running so seeing the rings was about 50% of the time. Then a cloud came over and the mirage completely went away. Not only could i see the rings distinctively to the edge but even the black pasters showed up. I was blown away.

I now have a nxs 8-32 moar-t and i think it may be slightly better. I am still waiting for that midday cloud to show up to see how it will do.

David

19. Willow

Willow

I'd be keen to see how the upgraded SV scopes with the ED glass look.

20. group therapy

group therapy Silver $$ Contributor

the siii scopes have low dispersion glass too :)