Just HOW good is Sightron glass???

Discussion in 'Scopes, Optics, LRFs, Spotters, BoreScopes' started by Ledd Slinger, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Ledd Slinger

Ledd Slinger Gold $$ Contributor

Please share your thoughts on the Sightroin glass vs. top European and NF glass while viewing 1,000 yards and beyond with different atmospheric conditions and lighting. I've read a lot of positive reviews on Sightron glass, but many are from people who have not owned top tier glass.

Specifically curious about the SIII models in 6-24, 8-32, and 10-50 for various rifles with various applications.
    Not so interested in the new SV 10-50 model with the $2K price tag. If I'm going to spend that much money, I might as well spend more and get the best glass money can buy.

Comments on Sightron warranty and customer service would be appreciated as well. Thanks

2. dkhunt14

dkhunt14

My 8x32 is about the same as a my 8x32 Nightforce BR. It is fairly good glass for the money. At least my eyes don't see much difference.

3. bsekf

bsekf

I used to smile when my 95 year old Mother would tell me that "today my eyes aren't working right". Zelda was right, as usual! I think you personally have to look through the glass and remember tomorrow it may look different. I do think the high end glass may be brighter and that helps old eyes, but you better compare.

Bill

nmkid likes this.
  4. dsandfort

dsandfort Silver $$ Contributor

I have 3, SIII LRMOA in 6x24 . All functioned perfectly but one developed a problem with the elevation turret. Could not set it to zero without changing vertical poi. They took it back, fixed it and checked all other function without question or cost to me.
    I do notice some loss of light transmission at 24x but image remains clear. I suspect the higher magnification scopes will suffer the same, or greater, loss. Don't know this for a fact, just a suspicion. No experience with NF but Leupold VX3 seems a bit brighter at 24x.
    I really like the floating dot on the Sightron.

5. jwink

jwink

I like my 8-32. No issues, good glass IMO.

6. MTlager

MTlager

For 1000 yard the 10-50 glass not near as good for me as NF 12-42 BR. Parallax very finicky and hard to get focused. The dot also too big for IBS targets. Like the NF 2DD dot a lot better.

dmoran and Zero333 like this.
  7. rkittine

rkittine Gold $$ Contributor

I have three SIII scopes and 4 Nightforce. I think that for the money, the Sightrons are just fine.

Bob

8. LA50SHOOTER

LA50SHOOTER Gold $$ Contributor

They are a very good scope for the money spent. - And as has been stated, it depends on "who's" eyes are looking through the glass as to what is better. (and why).

nmkid, JRS and LarryDScott like this.
  9. 500Stroker

500Stroker Silver $$ Contributor

Shot this target with a Sightron S111 10-50 at a 600 yard club match. Need I say more, I am a Sightron fan.

Attached Files:

SPJ, fultonbig9, TerryH and 6 others like this.
  10. Danoh

Danoh Silver $$ Contributor

THAT is awesome!

500Stroker likes this.
  11. jamesdmock

jamesdmock Gold $$ Contributor

I shoot a 10x-50X SIII at 600 yards and I maintain that they are the best buy in a high powered variable scope. When I said this about a year ago, there were many disparaging remarks made.....BUT they were from people who had never tried the Sightrons. Of course, one can pay 3 times the cost of a Sightron and get a little better glass, but one can win with the Sightron 10X-50X SIII. Good shooting...James
    DSCF2011.JPG

JLT, boatbum101, Rogmay and 9 others like this.
  12. jepp2

jepp2 Silver $$ Contributor

schleutj and 500Stroker like this.
  13. pacificman

pacificman

I have looked through Nightforce and Sightron and my old eyes could not tell a difference at all.
    I have not had a problem yet with my Sightron scopes but have heard that their lifetime Warranty is very good.
    I think I'll save a few hundred dollars and continue with Sightron when I need another scope.:D

LarryDScott likes this.
  14. 69mach

69mach Silver $$ Contributor

I've got a fairly young set of eyes and I can't seem to tell the difference in glass between the SIGHTRON siii and nightforce scopes I have. My father prefers nightforce but has an old set of eyes and says the nightforce nxs series has more a precise eyepiece and he really screws out his scope eyepieces. like mentioned above I really dislike the side focus on the Sightrons not to mention the lack of a zero stop. Once used to them though they are both good scopes.

15. Sniper338

Sniper338

I have 3 sightrons. You will be happy with it.

16. LarryDScott

LarryDScott Site $$ Sponsor

I have seven 10-50x60s FCH models on Bench guns,
    and 2 SI 4-12x40 on 22s. You might say that I like
    them. Just more scope for your investment.

I use the brand that I sell. LDS

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    rebel likes this.
  17. group therapy

group therapy Silver $$ Contributor

I had a nf br and 8x32 siii. couldn't identify one particular reason but the siii was "better". played with both and sold the nf. I could have kept either as the money was already spent but kept the siii. now I bought a 10-50, not a nf. hope this helps a little. :)

18. rkittine

rkittine Gold $$ Contributor

Bob White, owner of "The Shooter's Corner" has great prices and inventory on Sightron's also.

19. Barlow

Barlow

When I had my 12FTR in 6 Dasher, the last scope I had on it was a Sightron 10-50-60 fch. Shot against guys running 12-42 NF and won my share. If I ever got back into LR I would buy another Sightron. Barlow

20. JRS

JRS Gold $$ Contributor

The difference in glass quality with top of the line scopes is essentially non existent. The proprietary coatings used is what separates them. The best elements made in Japan are every bit the equal of the best made in Europe. China is also producing high end elements. Times have changed. It wasn't that long ago when we bashed everything made in Japan, and boycotted German made products, and also the German language.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    LA50SHOOTER likes this.