Just How Durable Are Primers??

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by jds holler, May 24, 2019.

1. rr2030

rr2030

Ain't that the truth. Had some black powder 45-70 rounds I wanted to disassemble, clean and display with my trap door Springfield. Soaked about 30 rounds in water for 2 weeks, pulled the bullets (with an impact puller !)started digging out the rock hard black powder, decided to soak again for a week in a pan full of penetrating oil. Dug out the remaining powder, tumbled the brass in media for a few hours. Loaded the empty but still primed cases in the Springfield, squeezed the trigger and POP !

2. Twicepop

Twicepop

Two summers back I was disassembling some old military ammo to salvage the brass for scrap yellow brass. After punching out about 12 primers, number 13 detonated. It left a permanent burn mark on my work bench, destroyed a Wilson primer punch and my stomach looked like I'd been hit with a small shotgun blast. It was an 88 year old primer, a 30-06 round with FA 29 head stamp.

3. Someoldguy

Someoldguy Guest

I've never tried testing 'neutralized' primers an a BFH. (Big ******* hammer ).

Sometimes, I wish I'd never bookmarked this site. :mad:

pirate ammo likes this.
  4. theallcineyes

theallcineyes

the oldest primers that I have used were over 40 years old. They were CCI large pistol that came from an estate sale. All functioned properly. Primers stored properly (cool and dry) will outlast your shooting career.

5. brians356

brians356 Gold $$ Contributor

I never get bored with bubble wrap. Not as long as my cat is around, anyway.
    -

Someoldguy likes this.
  6. Nick Caprinolo

Nick Caprinolo Gold $$ Contributor

Here's a question for you.

I have 1,000 Federal 205M primers that are old someone gave me. They come in a white box. Are they the same formula as the new ones?