Just a new guy (sort of) question... Are there any match classes for novice or hunter folks ?

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by Huntschool, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Huntschool

Huntschool

I have been shooting most all my life and have shot some competition along but for the most part with rifles at least have been a hunter. Big game, small game and varmints....

Now that I am 70+, retired and not in as good physical condition as I was back in the 60's-90's I have begun to varmint hunt and shoot paper more.

That being said, I was wondering if there are any matches out there for novice or hunter class shooters using a more factory type gun, i.e. less sophisticated (nothing bad intended here) than a LV or Heavy Varmint. I know the history of where these two classes came from so there was a time when stock guns were the norm. Perhaps barrel changes and trigger adjustments but still basically the guns the "old guys" back when took out to shoot ground hogs etc.

Dont get me wrong. I am impressed with the accuracy young shooters are getting with these new actions, barrels, calibers, load development, stock and front and rear rests. They are to be applauded and I am giving that applause.

I would just like to shoot in friendly matches against others who enjoy shooting their true non BR specific (read varmint) guns . I understand folks will always want to push the envelope. Heck, thats why we have some of the guns and calibers we have today.

Anyway, just a thought that this could bring more shooters to the ranges and competition....

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Bruce A. Hering
    Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor (retired)
    Shotgun Team Coach
    Southeastern Illinois College
    SCTP Collegiate Coaches Chairman
    NSCA Level III

370bc likes this.
  2. drover

drover

I would love to see a match format that would limit the rifles to mass produced factory stock rifles with the only modifications that can be done is bedding, trigger adjustment (stock factory trigger), recrowning of barrels, with any other mod's prohibited.
    It could be called "Pure Factory Class".

I am not so naive as to believe that there would not be some folks who would buy numerous rifles to find one that was exceptionally accurate, or that would set back the barrel and rechamber, or other "hidden" modifications in order to win. But in my experience most who do things like that do not have shooting skills to make them competitive and they generally do not place well anyway.

The only issue would be the semi-customs such as Cooper, Dakota, Rem 40X, etc, IMO they should be in a separate class from mass produced factory rifles. This could be handled by possibly assigning a limit on the numbers manufactured, say perhaps less that 3500 guns per year produced would put them in the semi-custom class.

Actually I doubt that it would bring many more shooters in though because most folks are not very competitive and even less so when they find out how bad they really shoot when the evidence is on paper.

drover

370bc likes this.
  3. cheek9075

cheek9075 Silver $$ Contributor

Check out UBR. It has a factory class where you shoot what you have. Only mods that can be done is trigger and bedding the action. Check out the website http://ultimatebenchrest.com , the site has a list of ranges that hold the matches. UBR is growing every year.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    370bc, gunsandgunsmithing and timeout like this.
  4. cheek9075

To explain a little further, UBR is a bench rest format. Shooting 4 targets at each range with 6 score target per relay. Where the "x" is counted as an 11.

Unlike any other bench rest shoot, all calibers are equal due to the target. A 223 can shoot with a 30 and still compete equally. There are 4 classes, factory, modified, custom, unlimited.

Factory is a factory rifle, only thing that can be done to it is trigger, bedding, crown. All other things are factory as they came. Factory shoots with factory in its on class.

Modified Is factory action, with different stock, custom barrel, trigger, etc.

Custom class is just what is says, custom less than 13.5lb

Unlimited class is basically anything goes, rail guns, custom, modified, factory, under/over 13.5 lb. You shoot against anything.

You can shoot class up, meaning factory rifle can enter modified, custom, unlimited class. Modified can enter custom or unlimited class. Custom can enter unlimited class.

Targets are caliber specific, 223, 243, 308. X and rings on 223 are bigger compared to 308. Meaning unlike other benchrest matches a 308 caliber doesn't have an advantage over 223 because of bullet diameter.

Check out UBR. It's growing fast, and is the best game around for shooters, young and old. My 2 sons have started shooting, one is 9 going on 20, the other is 12, we enjoy it all together.

If you have a range, or shoot at a range that doesn't shoot UBR contact me, or any other member who shoots it, we will help get it going at a range close to you!!!

5. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market Gold $$ Contributor

I'll 2nd what has been said about trying UBR. The website is not very current. We had a shoot yesterday at a range about 20 minutes west of Bowling Green ky, near Auburn. There's a move going to hopefully bring UBR to a club near Evansville, In. and we shoot at Somerset,Ky. I may be leaving some out..just mentioning a few off the top of my head that are a reasonable drive from SE Illinois.

6. cheek9075

There a range in Wisconsin trying to get started!

UBR is growing fast! Trying to get the everyday shooter involved in the sport, plus also including all the rest of us! Theres a class for everyone, have your dad's rifle, come shoot it, have a custom, come shoot it!!!!

If there isn't a range around you that shoots it, contact us!!! We will help get it going.

gunsandgunsmithing likes this.
  7. Huntschool

Huntschool

Thanks ya all. I am tuning a couple up right now... I am a single shot shooter, Ruger #1's and Browning 1885's. 6mm BR Ruger re-chambered from 6mm PPC to 6mm BR and a #! in 6.5 Creedmoor.

I have been to Bluegrass for some shotgun events. Bowling Green is not that far nor are some of the TN (Nashville area is only 2.5 hrs down I 24) clubs listed and if ya all get one in Evansville that would be great. Anyone talked to Paducah ?

Bruce A. Hering
    Shotgun Team Coach
    NSCA Level III

8. savagedasher

savagedasher Gold $$ Contributor

I like the idea But tell how and who will determine what is factory or stock ?
    I like the idea But I also see where the designation by rules can be a problem .
    Larry

9. Steve Ladino

Steve Ladino

Here in So. Central Pa. the groundhog matches / shoots which are very popular have a class strictly for factory stock sporting rifles and for factory stock Varmint (heavy Brl. ) rifles to include all calibers except the PPC's, BR's and wildcat variants.

10. rkittine

rkittine Gold $$ Contributor

At Cherry Ridge in New Jersey, Bob White of "The Shooter's Corner" runs non-registered matches through the summer. In the morning it is Factory class, though I am allowed to shoot my 40X from the Remington Custom Shop (I am not yet good enough to matter, so no one cares about my rifle!) and in the afternoon, Heavy Varmint, so people with a light varmint or heavy varmint rifle can shoot. Bob runs a winter league also, which I am hoping to shoot in this winter, but I am not sure what classes the matches will be set up for.

I do want to look into some of the Varmint Matches as I can get to central and eastern PA quite easily.

Bob

11. Drolds72

Drolds72

Which range in WI?

12. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market Gold $$ Contributor

The match near Bowling Green is actually in Auburn. Its a very small town though and BG is easier to find on the map. Lol!

I'm not aware of anyone in Paducah holding matches other than rimfire. Is there a good club there that can do at least 200 yards?

13. LarryDScott

LarryDScott Site $$ Sponsor

Mike, Paducah Shooters supply has a range, but I dont know it's
    yardage capacity. LDS

gunsandgunsmithing likes this.
  14. cheek9075

A factory is classified as factory, basically if it was mass produced. Ruger, rem, savage, cooper, etc. Is has to have factory marking on the barrel. It can have a new trigger, be needed in the stock, and have a crown cut on it. Other than those 3 things it is factory.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017 at 10:38 AM
  15. cheek9075

Not sure. 2 gentleman came to the national match at Somerset. They where hoping to start shooting UBR matches. I'll see if I can find out.

gunsandgunsmithing and Drolds72 like this.
  16. gunsandgunsmithing

Was one of them Jim Koffman, maybe?

17. Eddie Harren

Eddie Harren Gold $$ Contributor

We tried, at Thurmont Conservation and Sportsmans Club in Maryland, for over 20 years to attract new score shooters to our monthly IBS registered matches by offering a "Factory" class. As there were, and still are, no IBS rules on "factory" rifles we came up with our own. They were like many of the ones listed in this thread. We did limit scopes to 24X figuring that not too many Varmint shooters used anything bigger on their rigs. We would often have a shooter or two, who would show up with a 223, 22-250 or 243 shoot the match and somehow feel embarrassed because they didn't beat any of the "full house" BR rifles. The effort we put out never seemed to succeed in getting any new shooters to come out. I even printed flyers and took them around to all the local gun shops and ranges in our area. Never seemed to make any difference. We did have a couple of guys build BR rifles and start shooting the registered matches after shooting "factory" in one or two of our matches.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  18. people

people

I am not a fan of shooting paper but a friend is a pilot and loves shooting matches. I tag along when ever I can as I like flying.

I always take my AIAW in 7.62. I shoot where ever they allow me to shoot. I do not care if I come in last or next to last. I have never won but I do like shooting with a rifle I know I could use as a club and cripple everyone on the line and still shoot a good although not winning. I do think it does bother some when I am not last and shot a true combat rifle with ammo loaded months or a year ago.

Basically just shoot what ever you can get into. It does not matter if you cant win. If you have fun that is all that matters.

joshb likes this.
  19. gunsandgunsmithing

That's what it's all about. Set the hook...they either have the desire to compete in the game, and move up if money allows..or they move on.

People shoot for all kinds of reasons. Most of us like to compete but some really just enjoy the fun of being around a bunch of good folks and shooting, even if they know they aren't able to be competitive.

Given the great quality of people that I shoot with at several ranges, I can sort of understand it. But, as fun as it is to lose with such good people, it sure is great to win every once in a while!

I'm not bragging when I say this, but I've never felt like I couldn't be competitive. That's not saying I win all the time...far from it. Just that, even when I have had just average barrels, or shooting something that I knew probably wouldn't win on a given day....I've never felt like I couldn't compete with the top shooters when I have a good rifle in my hands. Right now, I have what is probably the best shooting rifle I have ever laid my hands or eyes on...It's a great barrel and gun! That doesn't mean I'll win every match but it does make me feel like I have a shot at winning. I don't know if I'd shoot if I knew I was shooting for next to last...but I might. I know that practice and hard work mean a whole lot to how I shoot. Of late, I haven't had the time to put in the hard work that it takes to shoot at or near the top, consistently. I still go when I can. I went this weekend just to hang out for a little while, as I didn't have time to load and get everything ready by match time and promised my dad I'd fix a roof on a rental house of his. I didn't get to stay long and, as much as I love the guys I shoot with... I wouldn't have driven too far to come watch. Lol!

Anyway, I guess it's hard to explain how I feel about it. I love the game and I love the people. I can't imagine never competing with them again. But for me, I still need to feel like I have a chance to shoot pretty well..not win, but shoot well. No shot at all would be pretty discouraging.

That said, there's satisfaction in just competing with your buddy who is also having a bad day. A little razzing and carrying on amongst friends is also fun.

Enough rambling..just thought I'd mention it because the game is great, even when you know you can't win. But if you think losing is fun, you'll love winning!--M

20. Huntschool

Huntschool

Paducah Shooters Supply has a range that I think goes to 200. I am a member there but usually just shoot some rim fire and sighting in with low wind. Nice covered line.

They had a fire a week ago at the shop and I am not sure sure what is going on.

I think it might be a place to look at.

Bruce A. Hering
    Shotgun Team Coach
    NSCA Level III