JJ Loh Base - 2 Available

Discussion in 'Commercial Sales by Paid Sponsors' started by Field & Cave, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Field & Cave

Field & Cave Site $$ Sponsor

2. Chris Covell

Chris Covell Silver $$ Contributor

I knew, I used to help John at the shop building rests. It is very important.

3. TonyL

TonyL

What oil did John Loh recommend for use in the rest? We’re any other routine maintenance actions recommend?

Mulligan likes this.
  4. Chris Covell

Chris Covell Silver $$ Contributor

10/W30 for the oil. Just keep it clean, and don’t pick it up from the top with the screw loose.

5. TonyL

TonyL

Thanks Chris

6. Boatschool02

Boatschool02 Silver $$ Contributor

Received my new rest plate. (Fast, more than fair shipping & EXCELLENT packaging.)
    Happy to answer questions from anyone who is on the fence.
    Already loved the JJ rest. This makes it even better.
    Thanks for making this product possible.

20190216_185057_resized.jpg
    20190216_185112_resized-1.jpg

20190216_185135_resized.jpg

SPJ, GlennK, bullseyeshooter and 4 others like this.
  7. Field & Cave

I can't figure out what to keep in stock. We have guys wanting these again. As of 5/16/19 I need 2-3 more people to justify a small production run and keep the price at $120. Please let me know if you're interested.

Thanks!

8. group therapy

group therapy Gold $$ Contributor

if you are on the fence about this, I CAN REALLY recommend it!!! makes carrying it easier(I wrapped tennis racquet tape around the opening), definitely brings extra stability to an already stable rest, nice little "wow" factor, and I read something one time about a guy filming his Sinclair rest in super slo mo and it moved under recoil. he added a plate and the movement stopped. in the grand scheme of things, the added expense is not much and tis one more variable not to worry about. and travis is one of us so its going to a good cause:)

dmoran, Mulligan and Field & Cave like this.
  9. group therapy

IMG_0234.JPG just a quick pic of the wrap I was talking about, and its a whole 3.00$ at wallyworld. makes carrying the whole thing easier. and to be honest, before when I carried it, I locked down the center column knob and carried it by the top. thinking about it, that put all the stress on the 2 guide rods that hold the top plate in place. looking back that was a bad idea, cuz if the rods bend, well......, you get the idea. another fyi, I got the rest 16 months ago and topped off the oil. I just checked it and it was quite a bit low, not out, but pretty low. if it runs dry it is bad for the rest:(. stupid simple check and fix if you have one of these. in my opinion, these are crazy good rest and if you spend the money to get one, might as well take care of it:). Jon also told me when I got it that IF you keep the oil full the rest will, in all likelihood, last several generations. makes a great "pass down to the next generation" thingy:cool:. that is all for now and have a great day:rolleyes:

Field & Cave likes this.
  10. Field & Cave

Thanks guys. Need one more...

11. mikecockcroft

mikecockcroft

I'll bite, if anything for the carry handle. This weekends match had my top almost bottomed out to be on target. Hope this doesn't add too much height for some ranges that are down hill like mine!!
    Will drop money in mail.

12. group therapy

I had the same issue, running out of bottom adjustment. I made a spacer for the rear bag and there ya go!!!

13. Field & Cave

On your range with my PRT lowboy with 4” rails getting to the sighter plate almost puts me out of travel. I run an Edgewood Gator with their dead bottom underneath it, and this is with my Sinclair rest with our plate installed. There’s not much height difference between the rudder and front rails on that stock. With my Wheeler/ McMillan LRB it’s no problem. I do carry a wooden rear bag spacer with me though - just in case.

14. james gregory

james gregory Gold $$ Contributor

Travis,if it will fit the old style JJ,I'm in for one.
    Thanks

Jim

15. Field & Cave

Yes, sir. I had you on the list. I'll put a work order in the shop to get these going today. Should have them in about 2 weeks.

16. Field & Cave

Sketch attached. If the hole pattern on the left matches your JJ and the speed screw and front feet are all threaded 1/2"-20, the plate will fit.

Attached Files:

17. Field & Cave

Don't mail $. Let me get them made.

18. group therapy

hello travis!!! my brother in law wants to get one of the plates, email on me how to proceed and thanks again!! bryant

Field & Cave likes this.
  19. Field & Cave

Those of you that have expressed interest in these should have a PM from me with a link to purchase. We'll ship early next week (6/10-6/11).
    Thanks!

20. mikecockcroft

mikecockcroft

Back to the oil issue. Bought my JJ second hand. Last week I had to take it apart because the windage base was sticking and the spring would not push it back. When I took the 4 allen head set screws out they were covered in grease, the holes had been filled with white grease.
    Was this done by the previous owner?? Sounds like they are shipped with oil not grease. Much better idea then grease which had caked up causing the windage to drag and eventually stop.
    Taking back apart, cleaning and adding oil.
    Great information, thanks