Jewell trigger tune

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by Rockchuck, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Rockchuck

Rockchuck Silver $$ Contributor

How do you guys go about sticking up the inside of a jewell trigger.

2. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Just lube it. Itll stick real good.

3. tmwinds

tmwinds Gold $$ Contributor

Hope you mean "slicking" instead of "sticking". If not go with Dusty's suggestion. I've found letting Kroils drip into the trigger and setup for a few days does a excellent job of gumming one up.

Seriously, a good cleaning with cigarette lighter fluid and blow dry with air should be all that is needed along with proper adjustments. I guess you could polish the internal parts and side plates but you could do more harm than good if not careful.

4. Rockchuck

Talking about mostly polish if the side plates

5. Dusty Stevens

I polish side plates on a piece of glass with 1000 grit sandpaper and water. After they get 100% contact i use fine lapping compound straight on the glass

USMCDOC, Rockchuck and tmwinds like this.
  6. Rockchuck

Would isso bore paste work for the final polish

7. Dusty Stevens

No but jb blue will. Id go to the local oriellys and get a tube of fine valve lapping compound for $7 though

USMCDOC likes this.
  8. Rockchuck

Thanks dusty

9. butchlambert

butchlambert Site $$ Sponsor

The ultimate would be to Melonite the side plates.

10. DaveTooley

DaveTooley Silver $$ Contributor

I built a fixture to hold triggers. Nothing more than two 1/8" dowel pins in a chunk of steel spaced properly. Steel so I can hold in my vice and nothing is moving and everything is in focus. I put the trigger in the fixture and remove the side plate. Stone it then one piece at a time I remove and stone the sides of the internals. Reassemble, flip it over and remove and stone the other side plate. Reassemble

11. RWO

RWO

So, exactly what is the benefit of all the polishing, stoning and lapping? Sounds like a solution in search of a problem. I admit I have never dealt with a factory Jewell, but I have built 3 benchrest versions from scratch for my personal use. I made the internals about .003" narrower than the sideplate spacing. They would adjust down to 1.5 oz. with good repeatability and no tendency to false trip. I made the surfaces smooth on the surface grinder but certainly not polished. Why polish?

RWO

12. butchlambert

butchlambert Site $$ Sponsor

It appears that you are satisfied with your project, so you need nothing else.

Rockchuck likes this.
  13. DaveTooley

DaveTooley Silver $$ Contributor

Did you use investment cast parts?
    I've found it just makes them more consistent.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    Rockchuck likes this.
  14. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market Gold $$ Contributor

For much the same reason that you're surface gring the plates...it just smoothes the feel a fair amount. You probably won't gain much if anything by polishing, over your ground finish.

Good work, btw. I've considered trying to design and build my own trigger but just found it much cheaper to buy an already proven trigger. But I also understand the "I did it my by damnself aspect. Lol!

15. Dusty Stevens

The internals drag on the sideplates with not enough clearance AND too much clearance. Can you see this sling shooting or offhand? No. Some disciplines can see it on paper when they drag so it may not be for everybody

Rockchuck likes this.
  16. RWO

RWO

No, I carved them out of 440C plate. Not much fun there.

RWO

17. Rockchuck

Finished the jewell trigger today slicked all the side plates up. Also deburr some the pin holes that had some rough places around them. Polished the sides of the internals and wow made a big difference. Thanks for all the help from you guy's.

Ed