Jewell Trigger Retailer SCOTT qualifies 1 K and 1.5 K @ DOME

Discussion in 'Big Stuff -- 6.5mm, 7mm, 30 Cal' started by birdog, Feb 12, 2019.

1. birdog

birdog DASHER DOME Gold $$ Contributor

Well that's quite a long title and I still could not get it all in but the world's single largest retail outlet of Jewell triggers wanted to join the 1,000 yard club and also come back in a week or so and qualify even longer and add that to his resume. So where do you go for that. Being from Cadiz, Ky he is only a skip, hop, and jump from the DOME. Seems like another famous Kentuckian came a only a few weeks ago to the DOME. Can't quite remember, was it Bart something another. Anyway this happened several moons back and some details may be deleted but pics are recorded and maybe Mr. Larry will fill in some fuzzy areas.
    I think Larry wanted to start long and work in but it don't work that way. I told him first trip we would try to get him on a 1,000 yd steel prarie dog with his trusty 6.5 x 284. Then he could return a couple of weeks later with his 6.5 x 284 and we could try the 1550 line.
    When Larry arrived it was a very hot summer, high humidity day. We began by zeroing his scope at my 4' x 8' plate. I believe it may have been at 780 yards at that time and this was before I had built the shooting building.

Here is Larry's warm up group @780 before dialing in scope

[​IMG]

Next we dialed in the scope and shot again
    [​IMG]

Larry feeling better now

[​IMG]

Commercial time--need to sell a few more Jewell's

[​IMG]

I think we are ready to go to 1,000 line

Larry's set up at 1,000 yards with his trusty 6.5 x 284

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Using my trusty Ole James Phillips record setting Rem. 40-XBR for a spotting scope. This 6.5 barrel once set a 600 yard record in howling winds and cold temps in St. Louis for Mr. James Phillips. I have the muzzle brake screwed off and no intention of using it for anything but spotting.

[​IMG]

Results are in
    The 1000 firing line was to the left of Larry's head behind the hay bales under a tree on top of my hill.

[​IMG]

two hits on Ole Chuckie here

[​IMG]

Proud poppa--he will be eating 1 K ground chuck tonight. The 1550 yd field is the small triangular field to the right of Larry's head

[​IMG]

Chico the Colorado Mountain Prarie Dog took a hit from the 6.5 also. Chico had the small break at his waist, on left side even back then. Took some big caliber to that.

the 1000 yard prarie dog hit

[​IMG]

OLE CHUCKIE also took a couple from the 6.5 x 284. I still have this Chuckie but the other swinger Chuckie has been lost.

[​IMG]

Here is the 1000 shooting line view

This concludes the 1,000 qualifier. I am going to post this before I hit a button and erase it all which has happened before

Aw the 1600 yard day arrives. I think I sat the targets down that day at 1600 yd. That white truck is Larry's full size Chevy truck. The cross fence just this side of the truck has since been cleared when I built the DOME building and made fence and rock improvements.

[​IMG]

The view from the firing line. The 18 inch plate can be seen as the tiny white dot right of center tree shadow and just above the tree shadow. It is almost in tree shadow

[​IMG]

Today I have a Diamondback Drop Port 6 Dasher in background

[​IMG]

Ole Chuckie and 18 in plate ready to Rock & Roll

[​IMG]

I have recorded under this pic that Larry and I both had a hit at 6:30 on plate and there is a hit at 1 o'clock. My Diamondback drop port was probably shooting 115 Bergers or 115 DTAC's that day.

[​IMG]

Close-up
    [​IMG]

He made the shot. Not sure it was this day, but one day we could not see dust reports and I went over there and got behind a tree to direct him in by walkie-talkie

The great setup My Diamondback 6 dasher drop port, Larry 6.5 x 284, my Phillips spotting 40-XBR

[​IMG]

My James Phillips record setting 40-XBR as spotter

[​IMG]

Larry, just mail the Jewell BR, no safety, no bolt release to the DOME. Hahaha LOL

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    Zero333, T 700, dragman and 3 others like this.
  2. birdog

birdog DASHER DOME Gold $$ Contributor

3. LarryDScott

LarryDScott Site $$ Sponsor

This was so long ago, that I had forgotten I had the IVY adjustable rings on that rifle. I do remember the 1500 isnt nearly as easy as the 1K. It took 21shots to make 2 hits @1500. Close is only good in horseshoes. The first pictures were at 1K and the rifle was wearing a bumped Leupold. The second trip for the 1500 it had the 10-50 Sightron. John Kruzan was there that day, I dont know how he escaped the pictures. Good job Randy. LDS

4. Iowa Fox

Iowa Fox

Great write up and pictures guys. Nice shooting Larry.

5. laveritt

laveritt Silver $$ Contributor

Good shooting, Larry

LarryDScott likes this.
  6. Jowens

Jowens

Larry is a good one....even has good tastes in boats. He is the jewell trigger man. I've gotten all mine from him.

LarryDScott likes this.