JARD SAVAGE TRIGGER

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by bsekf, Jun 25, 2019.

1. MikeMcCasland

MikeMcCasland Silver $$ Contributor

Installing it now....

Attached Files:

Randy L likes this.
  2. milanuk

milanuk Team Savage Gold $$ Contributor

The part that really intrigues me about this is that it uses its own sear... vs. re-using the original factory part.

3. MikeMcCasland

Well....this isn't good.

The trigger works, and it's better than my SSS trigger; I don't have a gauge, but I'd guess the pull is in the 8-10oz range (I ordered a 6oz model). It does not feel like a Jewel or a TriggerTech set down low.

Here's the bad part. I don't think there's any way this is going to work with the factory safety. The instructions say verbatim "The factory safety should be left in the action in the fire position". Next line it says "Install the Jard replacement trigger system. Reuse the sear pivot/retaining pin to mount the Jard Trigger System to the action."

I've pulled the little clip off the safety to see if that'd give me more real estate, but I don't see how it can work.

I'm going to play with it for the next ~30. More to come.

4. mikehotel

mikehotel

Apples to oranges.

I installed a Jard trigger in my A 17. The hardest part was getting past the sticker shock, but it is so much nicer then the Accutrigger.

5. vargetman

vargetman

Try putting your barreled action in a barrel vice and setting the over travel and safety with the trigger at the bottom just like it would be if you shot the rifle. The safety has to much movement when it is turned upside down and is really hard to set. I went thru this with several Savage triggers from different manufactures.the over travel would some times and not the safety. I don,t think Jard would produce or sell a trigger that could not be adjusted properly. Or take the rifle to a gunsmith and have them install and adjust.

John

6. MikeMcCasland

Well, no dice.

I called Jard and had a good chat with Dean; seem like some very nice people.

I've sent him some pictures, but I don't think this trigger is going to work with a safety installed (for me anyway). In talking with them, their test actions use a trigger with a Savage '3 position' safety. It basically has 3 little indentations milled into the bottom of the safety; mine doesn't have that. Mine is flat all across the bottom; pictured below next to the trigger housing.

20190705_124355.jpg

When you try to install the trigger per their instruction guide (https://www.jardinc.com/savage-trigger-installation) You'll end up with the below:

20190705_131053.jpg

I don't know if anyone has a short action Savage laying around with the safety out, but if you measure that lower 'bar' does it measure .300"?

7. varget204

varget204

I have 4 Savages,2007-2019, my saftey's are all 1 piece, No srew and spring.Is your action an Axis Savage ?

8. MikeMcCasland

It's a Sevens 200 long-action, but it's same thing as a Savage 110 centerfeed. It previously worked with Sharp Shooter Supply savage triggers, and fits all savage stocks/bolt parts etc.

I'm also having trouble getting the trigger to clear a Choate and Boyds stock desiged for Savage 110s. I may put it up in the classifieds if I can't figure this crap out.

It's too bad, because it's the best trigger I've felt for a Savage. It's one of the frustrating things about this platform (the 110 specifically); they can be very accurate, but also very frustrating with parts availability and fit. I get the distinct impression the short and target actions aren't as screwy as these.

9. varget204

varget204

It's Not the Same,it's Simular,thats probably why it won't fit,recommend getting a Savage 10 or 110 action depending on caliber.The safety is different,imagine bottom of action is a little different too

Dgd6mm likes this.
  10. MikeMcCasland

Respectfully, that is not correct. The raw action/bolt/lug/nut/trigger placement is the exact same as a Savage 110 centerfeed. If you had a pre-accutrigger 110 and Stevens 200 action in for a Cerakote job at the same time, you could swap the 110 with a Stevens 200 afterwards and nobody would know the difference.

My safety looks the exact same as the one Brownells and Midway are selling for Savage 110/11x replacements.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/safety-parts/safeties/safety-assembly-prod12851.aspx

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/100462587/strobel-savage-110-milled-steel-safety-selector-blued

Jard themselves states in their documentation this trigger is designed to fit a Stevens 200 by name (in addition to the 11x series of Savages)...because it's a Savage. ;)

As I mentioned earlier, I have called Jard and had a really good discussion with Dean there. It sounds as though they designed this trigger using a few actions that all had '3 position' safeties on them; I feel quite confident it will work without issue if you have that configuration (and it will work very well).

That said, the jury is still out if you have a safety similar to mine, and similar to those linked above.

Also, for what it's worth the point of this post isn't to bash Jard in any way. I just wanted to get something up because I know several folks were looking at these (I'd gotten a few PMs about them), and there wasn't much in the way of 'real info' out there yet.

Edit: I also clearenced the stock and it's good to go (without a safety). This rifle is currently a 3rd string backup for F-T/R, so not terribly worried about running without a safety.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  11. primer popper

primer popper

Mike, you have a non accutrigger action, I installed the Jard on a accutrigger action with no problems. But when it was placed in a Sharp Shooter & Richards Microfit stock it did not fit, had to take material out of the stock so it would fit. Dropped right into factory inlet, with the bolt stop removed, on Savage stock so I used Savage stock as guide to inlet aftermarket stock.

12. varget204

varget204

All 4 of my Savages are accutrigger rifles,as mentioned my safeties are different,curious,if the new jard would fit bottom bolt release Savages

13. Dgd6mm

Dgd6mm Silver $$ Contributor

If they're the same, why can't you install an Accutrigger on a 200 Stevens action?

RDA72927 likes this.
  14. MikeMcCasland

For the same reason you can't install an accutrigger on a pre-accutrigger Savage 110.

I'm really having trouble understanding how folks aren't following this. The 200 I have is a Pre-Accutrigger, Center Feed, Round Back, keyed nut, long-action 110. I have called Savage and ordered 110 parts for this action; I have used other aftermarket triggers, stocks, barrels for this action, replaced multiple bolt parts etc.

Savage didn't tool up to produce a new long-action that was 'slightly different' than their existing 110; it's literally the exact same thing. You can go over to Savage shooters and see the hundreds (if not thousands) of examples of people building off these.

I'm about to yank the barrel off my other one. I'll tear it down and post pictures when I do, so the people who don't think this is a standard 110 can point out the parts that are different, because I sure as hell can't find them.

Either way, see the below image taken from the Jard website seconds ago. It should fit per their instructions, and because a Stevens 200 is just a re-branded 110.

Jard.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    slugger3 likes this.
  15. olddav

olddav

For those having trouble following MikeMcCasland go to Savage Shooters forum. Lots of info on the Savage actions and the Stevens action. After searching the site you should conclude that the Stevens and the Savage 110 are indeed the same. That includes 110,111,112,114,116.

MikeMcCasland and Mark W like this.
  16. Dgd6mm

Dgd6mm Silver $$ Contributor

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I see said the blind man. Jard is wrong, it will not fit. Let us know where the trigger is out of spec. Oh, by the way, I'm not allowed on Savage's site. I got thrown off permanently some years ago.

17. HandgunHTR

HandgunHTR

That is my question as well. My 116 is a bottom bolt release. Wondering if the bolt release on this trigger will clear the rear of the receiver that I have without "relieving" it.

18. Concha

Concha

19. varget204

varget204

Called Jard ,it WILL NOT Work w/ Bottom Bolt Release

20. HandgunHTR

HandgunHTR

Good to know. That sucks, but it is good to know.