Izhmash Chassis is here

Discussion in 'Rimfire & Smallbore' started by Topstrap, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Topstrap

Topstrap

It's finally here. Joe at Accurate Rifle Systems ( http://www.accurateriflesystems.com/ ) made me a chassis for my Izhmash Biathalon 22 rimfire, this is the first one he machined but he can now make them to sell. I wanted this gun to try NRL and PRS style matches this summer, the action on these things are so fast and smooth I really thought it'd be a great gun for this discipline of competition but the small wooden stock left a lot to be desired.

I shot it today for the first time and it will take some getting used to, it's definately a different feel than the heavy target rimfires I'm used to shooting. I put an SWFA 3-15 SFP DM reticle scope on it since I thought the diamond reticle would allow easy quick acquisition of targets fast and the floating dot to be more precise when needed. Will have to play with it some to see how it works out.

I did experiment some with changing the magnification from lowest power to a few in between and the highest power at varying distances from 25 yards to 197 yards and the POI did not change. I was a bit worried about this and hoped it would stay the same while cranking the magnification back and forth and not worrying about still being on target. Being SFP I'll have to do some figuring on hold over or under since everthing is based on being on 15 power.

Didn't have time today to track the scope or put a good level on it but it still hovered around 1/2" at 50 yards with Wolf MT. It isn't as rock solid as my target guns due to a bit of slop in the sliding adjustment assembly for the bipod but just as I was getting ready to put everything away I tried loading it and it really tightened up and I'm sure the groups will tighten up as well. Will experiment with that tomorrow, I usually just let my heavy rimfires lie there without much input for best accuracy but this one seems to like it to work best.

Workmanship it absolutely topnotch, there is still a small piece they are working on for the safety but I have an idea after using it today to finish that up. I was going to have it anodized black but after seeing the raw silver with the red/black additions I was sold. I've always been a sucker for leaving machining marks on things to show off the craftmanship so it'll probably stay this way forever but he does offer a wide array of colors and options on his chassis.

Not sure what it weighs but it's comparable to a centerfire set up the same way, I like a gun to be on the heavy side since it sits and hides slight variances in position and shooter input especially with the crazy positions they shoot these matches. Overall I'm very pleased and it offers a great option to the wooden stock on these great guns.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Topstrap

Mikey_P likes this.
  2. boltfluter

boltfluter Gold $$ Contributor

That's some first class machining on your stock! Enjoy! :D:D

Paul

Topstrap likes this.
  3. andrewsben

andrewsben Silver $$ Contributor

That looks amazing. I have a 7-2 and have been wanting to get a better stock or chassis for it. I have talked with a few people and they have all wanted to cut original stock and laminate around the inletting, which i would not do as I would like to have factory setup as an option in the future. Good to see an option coming to the market.

Topstrap likes this.
  4. Thomasconnor

Thomasconnor

That aluminum stock is nice. May I ask how much?

Poor mans route...I put a 7-3 in a 10/22 stock I couldn't get $100 for when I tried to sell it (the 10/22 stock)...Tom

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    Topstrap likes this.
  5. Thomasconnor

Thomasconnor

If you guys don't like your BB stock, cut them up. This one has had the grip reshaped too...Tom

[​IMG]

Topstrap likes this.
  6. Topstrap

Topstrap

First time my Son tried cycling thru a 10 round mag, wasn't trying to be fast but also see how well it grouped at 50 yards running them through. Probably about 3/4" or so. Should get better with practice, slow fire cuts a ragged hole so it seems to be gonna shoot OK.

Topstrap