It doesn't always go the way you expect!

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by K22, Jul 10, 2019.

1. K22

K22

Out last night hunting ghogs. Was planing on returning to this one farm where I was last week, hay just cut, and got four last week. I stopped at another farm on the way just to check on the status of one field where the farmer told me weeks ago that he was going to plant soybeans after harvesting the winter wheat.

To my delight the beans had been planted, had grown about 3 inches in height - perfect right? :)Also, although hot, the weather was great, no wind, and sunny. Parked the truck and hiked over to this field which is at the far end of the farm. Haven't hunted this field in 3 years due to the crops being grown there, i.e. corn and wheat. Years ago this was strictly an alfalfa field and was always loaded with hogs. Expecting a big ghog evening. :)

Loaded up the Rem Model 7, 223 and eased into my stand. This is about as perfect a field as it gets, a box field, brush lined on three sides, furthest shot is 215 yards from my stand.:) Perfect for my short barrel Model 7. Also nice big maple tree to sit under for shade. Perfect right?

Set up at about 5:00 PM expecting mega activity at prime time, 6:00 to 8:00 PM. Soybean field at prime hog areas. At about 5:20 I see one at 186 yards, medium size hog, crawler, slightly obscured due to roll of field. Wait for a clear broadside shot - sent a 50 Nosler BT - see the tail due the "death wiggle." One hog down. Great start.:p

For the next two hours I don't see another hog.:( Lots of deer but no hogs.:( The hay is too high to hunt the two other fields, another field has corn planted in it. Too late to go to another farm so I gut it out in this cold field. By eight, still no hogs.:mad: Head back to the truck, on the way back I see one the farm road next to one of the uncut hay fields. I set up with my shooting stick, range it at 134 yards, perfect clear broadside profile. Send a 50 Nosler BT, hog down - monster class hog - huge male.:)

But go figure - that "perfect field" only yielded one sighting:( Well as my Dad use to say, that's why it's called hunting - often unpredictable.

hogpatrol, thekriebles and MrMajestic like this.
  2. rebel

rebel Gold $$ Contributor

I feel you bud. Experienced the same scenario the past few days. Beans up, wheat down but still providing some cover. Expected to see more hogs. Saw a nice buck tonight, also got behind some road hunters that I believe may be deer poachers. I got them nervous and they scooted of on another road. Memorized the tag, truck make.

3. MrMajestic

MrMajestic Gold $$ Contributor

I know in SC PA many hunt chucks from their trucks although illegal.

4. snert

snert Gold $$ Contributor

Or buggy....

Lone Hunter likes this.
  5. MrMajestic

clip klop, clip klop, bang, clip klop, clip klop
    Amish "drive by" shooting...

snert, Lone Hunter, Bc'z and 2 others like this.
  6. MrMajestic

Two Amish ladies harvesting potatoes, one holds up two and says "these remind me of Amos's balls, the other says "oh, are they that big?", "no, that dirty" says the first...

17VLD, JFW, snert and 4 others like this.
  7. K22

K22

Never did that - Never had the desire to do that - It takes all the fun out of hunting in my humble opinion.

I love walking the fields - setting up watching a tree line - moving to the next field not sure what I'm going to see and the excitement of seeing a ghog on the stalk - setting up quickly to get a shot off with my shooting sticks. For me this the ultimate experience - in the field, just me and the wild life - I'm addicted to ghog hunting not killing them per se - for me its all about the hunt. Hell I won't even shoot any under a 100 yards + or - unless its a problem hog for the farmer and he's asked me to take the hog out.

There is just something special about roaming the fields with your rifle and matching wits with a hog trying to out maneuver them. In my case out smart them too - I figure at my age my brain has shrunk to about the same size at theirs so were on equal terms brain power wise.;) Well, maybe the hog has a slight advantage. :oops:

8. MrMajestic

I with you, not agin you "K"...

9. MrMajestic

The other night I got four and the longest was 100 yards, stalking with the tripod...

10. K22

K22

I know - I just had to rant about road hunters - correction - road killers.

MrMajestic likes this.
  11. K22

K22

Nothing like it is there! It's why I could never get into golfing - I tried it once with a friend - a futile effort I'm afraid because seeing all those beautiful green fairways and looking for hogs instead of concentrating on my golf stroke.;)

PS: Saturday looks good here in eastern PA - going back to the bean field for another look. Got to me more there.

Lone Hunter and MrMajestic like this.
  12. JFW

JFW Gold $$ Contributor

Give that field another week and try again. I've had same experience before and go a week later and shoot a dozen. Seems like once they find the beans they tell there buddies.

Bangs OH likes this.