Is there an easy way to use a scope on multiple guns?

Discussion in 'Scopes, Optics, LRFs, Spotters, BoreScopes' started by rockable, Dec 3, 2017.

1. rockable

rockable Silver $$ Contributor

I have several scoped rifles with mediocre scopes. They all work and they also take up a lot of room in the safe. I know some companies make "quick change" rings but I don' know how you quickly change scopes and have it zero'd. I would like to invest in a premium scope but would like to use it on more than one rifle. My experience so far is that every time you move a scope, you have to re-sight it in. Any advice is appreciated.

2. FatBoy

FatBoy

I used to hot swap a scope. I ran Badger Ordnance bases on all the 3 rifles. I'd record the number of clicks left to right and then down to up once re-centered.

Then, I'd zero the rifle and count the clicks down, and then left and record it. I could swap the scope between three rifles like this and be within an MOA. Some may be able to get closer, but that's about as good as I could get. This was a NXS, with a box style errector cell. YMMV.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    Outrider27 likes this.
  3. chkunz

chkunz

I have been using the Bobro model 03200300 rings/lever mount on rifles with picatinny rails. The scope goes on and off easy and quickly. I have to book keep the zeros and rail position for each rifle but it is repeatable and the first shot is on zero. I also use the ARMS Lever rings/mount on a couple of rifles also with the picatinny rail and they go on and off easy but the first shot is not on zero but after that first shot they are back on zero. This is all very convenient and easy and allows easy changes for different shooting positions as needed and I can take the scope off the rifle for cleaning or to use on another rifle but be sure to book keep all the settings so you can get back to your baseline. Also tolerances cost money and these are quality products and I would not recommend going to a cheap product for this type of use.

4. rockable

rockable Silver $$ Contributor

So, just for the sake of discussion, I would put a high quality rail on each of my rifles and use the same brand rings (with or without quick release?) plus keep a log of the setting on THAT scope with rifle number 1 and rifle number 2, etc. All of this is based on a quality optic and quality mounting system. Correct?

5. FatBoy

FatBoy

Same brand bases. The rings stay on the scope or this won't work.

I use Badger bases and rings because I know 100% when I seat both cross bolts of the rings forward against the slot they're going to make contact on every rifle. Built in recoil lugs. There is no question it's going to fit and fit right.

I swapped an NXS before buying dedicated glass. I buy ALL of my Nightforce scopes used. A lot of Ninja out there chase the latest and greatest and sell off their old NXSs to fund the hunt. Opportunities abound.

milanuk likes this.
  6. chkunz

chkunz

I think you got it. Anything less and I think you will be disappointed. A dedicated scope of each rifle starts to look a lot better once you consider these requirements. But I will say that even if you have a dedicated scope for each rifle the option of easy removal by lever or quick disconnect still has its advantages. If you want more info on this let me know I have spent a lot of time and money on this issue. Just to think a few years ago I was a knuckle dragging M14 service rifle shooter and did not own even one scope. Then I decided to try to shoot an AR match rifle with a scope, it was a slippery slope to the dark side.

rockable likes this.
  7. steve_podleski

steve_podleski

While other people are kicking and screaming about the new rules on service rifles and match rifles :)

8. xring

xring

Rockable , many decades ago B&L made a One Scope / many Rifle System . The Base had Windage And Elevation Adjustments . Most ( if not all ) Scopes that B&L Made in those days did not have W&E Adjustments . The Scope was held to the Base by one of two types of Mounts . You Mounted the Scope , adjusted the Base so the shots hit where you wanted , slipped the Scope on another Rifle and repeated the procedure . I had a friend who had a lot of Pre64 Model 70s and Rem. 700s . He said there were two Types of Mounts ( he had many of each type ) . I think one was called a Plunger Mount and the other a Spring Mount . My friend told me one worked great , but the other did not, but it was so long ago that I can't remember which worked well . I also recall that Kuharsky Bros, copied and sold a similar Mounting System , but I'm not sure if they sold the Bases or only the Mount . I still sometimes see both Brands for sale .... even New Old Stock . I wonder if something similar could be made with todays modern machinery which might work well for hunting applications .

9. milanuk

milanuk Team Savage Gold $$ Contributor

Someone I know told me they did this a couple years ago. I was a bit confused, as they had several very expensive rifles ($4k+) but used only one expensive (March) scope that they hot-swapped between guns.

IIRC, their 'system' was that they treated the scope knobs a little more like a true micrometer setup than most of us. I believe they centered up the windage and elevation mechanically, then zeroed the knobs at that point. The setting for each gun to get to from the mechanical center to a 100yd 'zero', or a 1000yd 'zero', were all carefully recorded. Said they could usually take the scope off one gun, put it on another, adjust the knobs accordingly, and be within 1/2 moa fairly consistently. I will say from my own experience re-mounting scopes after air travel that part is probably not too far fetched. I just wasn't sure I could wrap my head around the idea of my windage knob not being on '0' for a no-wind condition. Shooting F/TR, long before the heavy bullets got popular, I've done my share of multi-rotation windage corrections on the old NF BR scopes (6 moa per rev). Keeping track of which side of center I'm on, with the knob not reading '0' to begin with... just the thought makes me a little queasy :/

10. damoncali

damoncali Gold $$ Contributor

It wouldn't be hard to use a one piece mount and swap out the whole mount/scope combo. They generally return to zero (more or less). You'll probably go insane keeping track of the settings, though, which will be significantly different from one rifle to the next. That alone is worth the cost of another scope if you ask me.

11. ARW

ARW Silver $$ Contributor

I just started using a March 10x60 as a switch scope for groundhog hunting on a 22-250AI in the summer and on a 221FB for tree squirrel hunting in the fall and winter. Both actions have Picatinny rail systems and it seems to work well so far.

Alan