Is there a way to lube rifle brass in batches that will equal doing them individually?

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by Al Lu, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Ledd Slinger

Ledd Slinger Gold $$ Contributor

I do the same...but I think the point of this thread is to find ways of lubing large numbers of brass at the same time for efficiency

Mark W likes this.
  2. ckaberna

ckaberna Gold $$ Contributor

Imperial and 1 gallon baggy. Turn inside out and wipe a small bit on the bag. Turn right side Out and dump in 40-50 cases and roll around between hand and leg for about 30 seconds, presto. Ready for the die, amazing at how little it takes.
    I am interested in an efficient way of getting the lube off after sizing, currently wiping down one at the time. I guess this allows for a good inspection but terribly frustrating for me.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    mikeinct likes this.
  3. rogn

rogn Silver $$ Contributor

I guess Im one oft he crazies. Of all the lubes around Imperial is the most difficult to use, including requireing about twice the force toFLS a case. Something like mink oil requires only a fraction of the effort to FLS something like a WSM, or 375 Ruger. For quantityI use Lee lube. about a short teaspoon placed in a plastic bag with about 15 or 20 243 cotton cleaning patches and a couple of tablespoons of >90% isopropanol . That bag will handle about a 100 223 cases, 0r 50 50 +/- 308s. Separate out the brass and add another batch. the mix will coat enough of the neck interior for the expander to work. Repeat mix as needed. Papertowel wipe when thru is all it takes.

argh likes this.
  4. Zero333

Zero333 Silver $$ Contributor

This is how I do it and it works flawlessly. I've tried all other lubes and wax etc... and this way is the smoothest and easiest on the press.

FlipBrass1.jpg
    FlipBrass2.jpg
    FlipBrass3.jpg
    FlipBrass4.jpg

5. Zero333

6. Zero333

Then spray Hornady one shot CASE LUBE from all 4 directions on a 45 degree angle some 8 to 10 inches away from the brass. As per the instructions on the spray can.

FlipBrass8.jpg
    FlipBrass9.jpg

7. lb-ft

lb-ft

I follow above Zero333 method, except switched from One Shot to Shoot R “Royal Case Lube” spray.

It’s incredible stuff. No more stuck cases or galled dies. Super slick. Resizing machine gun fired LC 308 for bolt action use with small base die is absolutely no problem.

Love it.

Zero333 likes this.
  8. steve_podleski

steve_podleski

Apply 1 bead of rcbs to 2 cases out of 100, put in container and tumble for 15 min.

9. jghoghunter

jghoghunter Gold $$ Contributor

I use this method also. The only difference is I have loading boards that Ive made up that hold as many as 100 cases, some only 50, some less. Stick the cases in the holes and spray as above. Never have had a stuck case, works great, takes all of about 3 minutes to lube 100 cases. Most of that time is putting the cases in the holes on the board.

Bc'z and Zero333 like this.
  10. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Its probably faster to lube them one at a time with imperial as you put them in the press in reality. Way faster than dealing with questionable lubes while trying to mass produce. They need to be inspected anyway and this is when i do it.

11. boltman13

boltman13 Gold $$ Contributor

I use One Shot. Place 20 cases in an old metal baking pan my wife gave me, all facing the same way. Tilt it one way, spray, tilt the other way, spray, spray case mouths, shake pan for about 15 seconds, repeat another 20 when first 20 resized. I size cases in 100 case lots. When I was doing 223 Rem cases I could line up 25, but bigger cases, 6.5 CM, 308, 30-06, 6 BR Norma etc. do 20 at a time. A different size pan would probably require a slight adjustment. I have yet to need to use my stuck case remover.

Zero333 likes this.
  12. SPJ

SPJ Gold $$ Contributor

I’ll echo my friend DS cause I only size one at a time anyway.
    J

Prose and joshb like this.
  13. jepp2

jepp2 Gold $$ Contributor

If I am doing 10 cases, I will use Imperial. Any more than that, I lay the cases facing me on a cookie sheet. For 223 size cases I do 144 at a time, because that is a nice batch for my tumbler. And I use the tumbler to remove the case lube. I use the liquid lanolin/alcohol, at a 12 to 1 ratio. And I spray into the case mouth (for the expander) the case neck, shoulder, and case body. You just can't get too much on to cause dents. And there is no way you can apply it as uniformly by hand. It will make the smoothest sizing with the least effort you ever felt. After I spray them, I just shake the sheet back and forth so the cases roll around. You don't even have to wait for the alcohol to evaporate off. At one time or another, I have used most of the other case lubes, except I have never used One Shot.

Case Lube.jpg

Zero333, Lone Hunter and eric n like this.
  14. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

Ditto. The tin of Imperial sits right next to the press. Put the case in the shellholder, rub fingers up and down the case and pull the handle. Takes a second, at most. I dip my finger in the tin every third case, maybe two if it’s a big one. Haven’t stuck a case yet with the Imperial.;)

Davidb187, hogpatrol, Prose and 2 others like this.
  15. Baddog0302

Baddog0302

And you probably have a lot less cases with dents at the neck shoulder junction caused from excess lube. And for those that will say they wipe off the neck before sizing, thats just another step, so what time have you saved ??

Prose and joshb like this.
  16. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

:):):)Right! The only time I got 1 dent, I stopped. Figured it out in 2 seconds. It was the first case thru a new die and I had forgotten to CLEAN THE DIE!:mad::eek::rolleyes:

17. dfry

dfry

About 1.5 oz of lanolin and a 12 oz bottle of isso heat from Walmart. I put whatever cases i need lubed in a plastic coffee can, spray with a bottle sprayer and shake and mix. Havent had any problems since starting using this mix, Dave

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  18. Ledd Slinger

Ledd Slinger Gold $$ Contributor

That's exactly why I do them one at a time. I have tried a few different methods for 'mass lubrication' and theres always a few pieces in there that want to stick in the die so I end up lubing them by hand anyhow. Plus I'm always worried about getting lube inside the case neck or body. I suppose if a person washed the cases after sizing then any potential ignition issues could be eliminated, but then it takes time for washing and drying as well.

ronemus likes this.
  19. Big_Daddy

Big_Daddy Gold $$ Contributor

10 to 1

I also use the ziplock bag method. Works great.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    Ledd Slinger likes this.
  20. fatelvis

fatelvis Silver $$ Contributor

With much hope, I’ve tried several of the spray lubes, (Dillon, Red Rooster, One Shot), trying to lube a bunch of cases at a time. I even stood them up in lines, and sprayed down at a 45° angle in order to get the lube inside the necks as well. Even after assuring that I had total coverage of the cases, I found that more pressure is needed on the press handle for sizing, verses Imperial lube. With this, I have also noticed more pulling on the necks of the spray lubed cases. For this reason, i’ve abandoned all spray lube‘s and use only imperial.

Prose likes this.