Is a BDC scope better are is crosshairs(fine) better.

Discussion in 'Small Stuff--22s, 20s, and 17s' started by crazyhorse1361, Feb 10, 2018.

1. crazyhorse1361

crazyhorse1361

Going to a scope for my custom ar15.Shooting 62 grain FMJ at steel targets out 200 meters and beyond to 800 meters.Also going to be shooting paper for groups to.I was thinking of the weaver T36 would be a great choices.I have two of them already and love them. Thanks for the help.

2. R.Morehouse

R.Morehouse Gold $$ Contributor

If you love the Weaver get it. I like a sub tended reticle but not so much the BDC for reasons of it kind of locking you in to one speed. If you go with an MOA or Mill based reticle you can just run the numbers in a ballistic calculator and be more on the money with your "drops" once you know the true speed of the bullet.

Regards
    Rick

3. steve123

steve123

I would consider getting an angled base because that scope doesn't have a bunch of travel and you would be lacking a holdover reticle. You might get away with a 0 base/ have enough travel, but even so, the erector will be near it's limit at 800Y which isn't ideal.

BDC reticles work best for certain velocity envelopes and even then they are what I would call close but not close enough for precision. There is station pressure, the actual fps of the load, the actual BC, and sight in distances, involved in the "this" equation. Like R stated, it's much more precise to use a ballistic calculator with correct data to give close come ups vs a BDC reticle.

If you want to investigate other high mag options a good scope that won't brake the bank is a Athlon Argos BTR 8-34x56. It's FFP so the reticle values will be constant and it has a fantastic reticle for holding over and off.

I'd also ditch the FMJ's except for plinking, they aren't meant for precision or nice groups on paper.

4. Zero333

Zero333 Gold $$ Contributor