Irons for bolt gun

Discussion in 'Scopes, Optics, LRFs, Spotters, BoreScopes' started by PFlex, Sep 11, 2017.

1. PFlex

PFlex

First post here. Putting together a bolt rifle for range plinking and strongly considering iron sights. I'm looking closest at the Phoenix and Centra rear sights but having trouble figuring out the best way to mount them.
    I see the lipski weaver-to-side-mounts are well recommended, but I am concerned that that puts the sight farther to the left, limiting windage to the right. Any reason to worry about this?
    If I do decide to go with some kind of more traditional Redfield style sight base that attaches to the side of the action, will any of them fit a Howa 1500? Can a Remington base be modified to fit? And how do you know which height to choose?
    One last question: am I crazy for wanting to mount an AI picatinny-compatible rear sight? I know it would not be nearly as flexible as one of the rear sights mentioned above, but they do remind me of the iron sights on the M16s/m4s from my Army days.
    I appreciate any feedback.

Peter

2. NickB1075

NickB1075 Gold $$ Contributor

The lipski sight base is designed for use with a side mount sight like the Warner/ PNW and other similar sights. I am not to familiar with the Phoenix product but i think they make both side mount and a picatiny mount style rear sight. Problem with the direct picatiny style on a bolt gun is sight height. If you don't have an adjustable cheek piece you will never be able to get behind the sights. This will all affect your front sight set up too.

I don't think you are crazy. I still shoot irons as much as I can. I have been competing for about 15 years now and I still love shooting irons and sling the best. Just something about it for me.

Here are a few pictures of my Palma rifle. It is not ideal but it works for me. The target doesn't know the difference.

Hope this helps.

Nick 20170911_233208.jpg 20170911_233104.jpg 20170911_232916.jpg

3. PFlex

PFlex

Thanks, Nick! Sweet rifle, seeing the pictures does help envision how it all gets put together.