Iowa DNR

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by Iowa Fox, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Iowa Fox

Iowa Fox

If anyone is up to an interesting read log on to the front page article of the Iowa City, Iowa news paper "The Press Citizen". For more than a year the city officials, including the police department, have been pleading and begging the DRN to issue cull permits so they can hire sharpshooters to try to bring the run away deer population under control. The DNR steadfastly refuses and seems oblivious to a problem they created in the first place. Its common to see deer walking down city streets in broad daylight bucks included and in the courtyards at the U of IA hospital munching the plants & flowers in broad daylight. The urban deer population within the city limits is estimated at 10,000 which is mentioned in repeated articles. That estimate is conservative in my opinion. Highway fatalities are not uncommon from deer crashes in this state.

22BRGUY likes this.
  2. Joe Salt

Joe Salt Silver $$ Contributor

Why not give us out of state Bow Hunter a tag every year and we will help your problem! And think of all the Revenue the state would get. And I know Bow Hunters can hunt inside the city.

Joe Salt

msinc, Bojo, slugger3 and 1 other person like this.
  3. spencerhenry

spencerhenry Silver $$ Contributor

In most cities, releasing any projectile is illegal. Arrows included.

But, having people PAY to remove the deer makes sense, why would any government agency want to ruin their reputation by doing something that makes sense?

4. Iowa Fox

Iowa Fox

Well, it didn't take long for that article to disappear on line. I actually read it in news print when we were in town today.

Joe its a darn good question. The herd is so far out of control in the city bow hunters will never make a dent. The only thing I can think of is to hook up a livestock trailer behind a pickup and let the DNR dart gun them, fill up the trailer then haul them someplace they are wanted. Which is no place. Even if they haul out 3000 that leaves that leaves 7000 left in town.

5. antelopedundee

antelopedundee

There are plenty of people who can shoot as well as the sharpshooters. Just let a DNR guy take few out and let em kill as many as they want to.

6. Knotwild

Knotwild Silver $$ Contributor

Maybe they are considering releasing some wolves and coyotes to take care of the young this spring?

Lone Hunter and rudysts like this.
  7. D Coots

D Coots Silver $$ Contributor

If I remember correctly they have hired sharpshooters to cull the herd in the past. Those lefties down there
    deserve what they are getting.
    On another note, a bill is coming through that will allow high power deer hunting in the whole state using all calibers of rifles.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    22BRGUY likes this.
  8. billlarson

billlarson "Hold Into The Wind" Gold $$ Contributor

Be careful what you ask for..... in wis.the DNR shoots deer/etc.from helocopters.....sharp shooters are friends and relatives of DNR employees.
    Bill

9. Joe Salt

Joe Salt Silver $$ Contributor

Do you guys understand bring money into the State, by giving more tags to Bow hunters who like myself, would love to have one Antler tag and maybe two Doe tags each, that anyone in your party can fill would help immensely. And God willing I'll be getting a tag again in 2020! Four years is to long, tell them every year.

Joe Salt

slugger3 likes this.
  10. Iowa Fox

Iowa Fox

The DNR has really run off the railroad tracks in their reasoning. They refuse to up license quantities to control hot spot areas to even local residents. Sharpshooting is insanely expensive. In the past after shooting they were taken to a local locker for processing to give to the needy. Most people would like to see chronic wasting come thru and take them extinct.

11. Texas10

Texas10 Gold $$ Contributor

Can't box'm up and move them to another state. There's that dang pesky Wasting disease goin' around and there would be a chance relocation would spread the disease to other states.

Unless the overcrowding is dealt with, Wasting disease, or some other opportunistic disease will eventually take over and kill off the herd. Unfortunately there's a good chance that it'll become established and spread. Humans interfering with natural selection never goes well. Why is it we can't seem to learn that?

tmwinds and D Coots like this.
  12. Ron IA

Ron IA

they still have a urban hunt in Des Moines not a lot of people taking advantage of it yes there's rules to follow but you can shoot more does then you could ever eat but there's places you can give them away to be used to feed the needy

13. antelopedundee

antelopedundee

There were bouts of the "blue tongue" disease a couple years ago. I don't know if it had much effect on the herd or even if it's still an issue.

14. ppaul

ppaul Gold $$ Contributor

Man is so smart he's going to kill himself! IMHO.

15. helmut in the bush

helmut in the bush

Now that this has been posted online, an amish community will pop up in the area, and your deer herd will be completely wiped out.

JohnJ73, KMart, Bojo and 1 other person like this.
  16. antelopedundee

antelopedundee

There are some Amish not too far away.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  17. Someoldguy

Someoldguy Silver $$ Contributor

With CWD I doubt there is any alternative other than dispose of them in a landfill or incinerator. I imagine the DNR doesn't want the publicity. So , they opt for the 'Ostrich approach'.

Missouri Department of Conservation has behaved similarly over the years. Seem to be more worried about blind cave fish and bats than a species that actually generates revenue used to study the blind fish.
    Whatever. Above my pay grade.

18. tstowater

tstowater

Spent too many years in the liberal infested Iowa City to think that there will be any semblance of rational thought regarding hunting deer in that community. Bet there are a number of record book bucks that never leave city limits.

D Coots, ChrisA and cmillard like this.
  19. cmillard

cmillard

Absolutely! My stomach turns when I have to drive to that liberal, yuppie suckhole! That whole county is lost.

D Coots, ChrisA and Rustytigwire like this.