Introduction - New Member

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by Spaz, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Spaz

Spaz

Hello. I'm Spaz. I joined the forum a few days ago. I figured I would take a moment to introduce myself.

I am a computer scientist by trade. I am married (27 years). I have a son and daughter. I also have a grandson and granddaughter.

I enjoy participating in auto-sports, such as HPDE and track days. I love going Offroading and spending time with my family in the mountains of VA, WV and PA. I am a life long firearms owner and enthusiast.

I have always enjoyed shooting sports. I have a concealed carry permit issued to me from multiple states, for defense purposes. I also enjoyed taking many defensive and tactical training courses, including fighting rifle classes with AR's.

After 40 years of enjoying firearms as a hobby, I recently moved my focus to long range shooting. It's been less than 2 months. I have only shot out to 1,000 yards so far. I realized that almost nothing I know applies to long distance shooting. So I am looking for a group of like-minded people that I can learn from, and hopefully contribute some, where I can.

I am going to be taking some classes in the next month or so. However, discussion with peers is a great way to expand your knowledge base on everything.

I work 60 to 70 hours a week. I don't reload or make cartridges. Due to my limited free time and many hobbies, I try to spend as much time on the range as possible. My goal is to get the best possible performance out of myself and my OTC equipment.

I currently have no aspersions of being a competitor or trying to break any records. I just want to enjoy some time behind the glass, especially with my son. I want to take some classes and learn from fine folks such as yourselves, because anything worth doing is worth doing right.

So... that's the short of it. I'm looking forward to chatting with you. Enjoy the rest of the day!

- Spaz

2. gambleone

gambleone Silver $$ Contributor

Welcome. This forum is as good as it gets. Many very nice gentlemen that are willing to help.
    Some get kinda cranky at times, but that just goes with the territory. You will learn from the best.
    Good luck & wish you tiny groups.

hogpatrol, Spaz and dickn52 like this.
  3. dickn52

dickn52 Gold $$ Contributor

I don't get that cranky, but I have my moments I guess.:) Welcome and as stated. There are a lot of great guys and gals here who know a lot about everything. It's a fun sport.

Spaz likes this.
  4. nmkid

nmkid Gold $$ Contributor

Welcome, you will like it here and learn!

Spaz likes this.
  5. gambleone

gambleone Silver $$ Contributor

Yes, Gals to. Sorry. My bad.:oops:

dickn52 likes this.
  6. Spaz

Spaz

Thanks for the welcome, folks! Much appreciated.

7. JBT

JBT Gold $$ Contributor

Welcome to the forum.

Spaz likes this.
  8. Willie

Willie Gold $$ Contributor

Welcome! I give you 2 years here and you'll be starting to reload and building a custom rifle.:rolleyes:

hogpatrol, snert, jimmymac and 2 others like this.
  9. murray brook

murray brook Silver $$ Contributor

Welcome aboard. This site is loaded with very smart reloaders and benchrest people. But, as well as myself, none are that computer savy. You will be called upon often here. Hum

Spaz likes this.
  10. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

Nah 2 months.
    Welcome Spaz, I think you'll find some of us do our loading after wifes in bed.
    Uninterrupted quite time.

jwink, Willie and Spaz like this.
  11. Spaz

Spaz

LOL... 2 months is pretty optimistic, but I would never rule out the possibility. I think the big thing holding me back is the time to learn to do it correctly.

I have to say, I do get a bit jealous when I'm shooting a .625 MOA group and the guy next to me is shooting a .23 MOA group with hand-loads.

12. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

Ok now I'm giving it 2 weeks!!
    There's mad amounts of experience here.
    I've learned a wealth of information from alot of great shooters and reloaders in the past year. It's really brought my game around.
    Like you I have no desires to compete except with my self.

13. 243BR

243BR

Welcome. This is a great forum.

Spaz likes this.
  14. david kieffer

david kieffer Gold $$ Contributor

don't do it , you could lose your wife ,retirement , and sanity . the little rabbit hole will turn into a crater. welcome and enjoy. dave

Bc'z and Spaz like this.
  15. jwink

jwink

It all starts with you see a forum discussion about how the trigger on your rifle is crap, so you purchase a sweet custom trigger and set it up. your groups magically shrink in size. The rabbit hole has now been started, it continues to grow in size with the new hv kreiger as your group sizes shrink even more. And then bedding and new actions and stocks and so on and so on, until you are shooting woodchucks at insane distances with a work of art that you made your way. and nothing will make you feel better.

Spaz and Bc'z like this.
  16. Savgeguy71

Savgeguy71

Welcome ! Enjoy and participate. No such thing as a dumb question !

Spaz likes this.
  17. stacy

stacy 2 TIMOTHY 2 VERUS 15 Silver $$ Contributor

THIS THE BEST PLACE TO START WELCOME SIR !!!!!!

Spaz and Bc'z like this.
  18. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

Welcome!

Spaz likes this.
  19. Spaz

Spaz

Thanks again for the warm welcome folks! Much appreciated!

LOL... I already started down the rabbit hole! I just ordered a Timney trigger and I am looking at possibly ordering a barrel from Proof or LRI. Price and if I can get them to do the install will likely push me toward one or the other.

Bc'z likes this.
  20. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

Well that was fast.
    1st you'll need a good single stage press.
    Rcbs and hornady and lyman have good entry level kits everything you need to get started except dies.

2nd a couple good load manuals.
    Definitely read the beginning of the book.

3rd look at twist rate of your rifle and chose what bullets you'd like to try.

4th select powder n primers and apply everything you've read.

5th ask plenty of questions, somebody will answer them....

And last but not least.
    If you do find the bottom of the rabbit hole.....
    Slap Alice on the ass and shoot that damn rabbit!

Ccrider, hogpatrol and Spaz like this.