Induction brass annealer redux

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by Gina1, Aug 26, 2016.

1. jthor

jthor

No biggie dude! I’ve had my induction annealer built for a while and have still been tempted to purchase an AMP. I need some incentive though right now. Personally having a lot of fun further developing the GinaErick annealer. I have a lot planned for it once I’m finally back state side again.

2. jthor

jthor

Who ever this is...
    Looks like they made a GinaErick annealer.

3. Gina1

Gina1

Looks like they used the same timer. One big difference, the coil that comes with the annealing PCB (higher current PCB) is being used for this one. No water cooling as the coil is strongly discolored, and because of the larger diameter of the coil, annealing is taking longer.

4. jthor

jthor

Wasn’t able to watch the whole thing... just snippets since my internet where I’m at is dookie. Lol

5. David101

David101

I could see that it was water cooled have a look at 5.05 min the black on the coil is some sort of insulation. Not a bad job it looks like he used most of the same parts as the original. Not sure how he goes about changing insertion depth and the case release looks good but also perhaps a bit tight.

@LR88 you have really gone the extra yards. Obviously you have some experience in the electronics trade. A great build.

I know the 1/8 tubing for the coil is a tried and tested size, however I have found that using the slightly bigger metric size really helps with coolant flow which reduces any airbubles that may get into the system. I also dropped one coil. It is all working great for me and it is now a step I look forward to doing. Very satisfying with it all working like clockwork.

One thing I would like to test is perhaps get some higher temp Temilaq. I have a feeling that the commercial brass makers take the brass to a hotter temp than we do. Which would mean seeing a faint colour change in a dark room.

6. jthor

jthor

I bought an AMP while it was 10% off.... Still gonna use the GinaErick for bulk .223 and testing for this thread. I plan on seeing how hot the AMP gets the brass.

7. SGK

SGK Silver $$ Contributor

Study the work coil also...

8. jthor

jthor

Ferrite core, but yeah. I plan on converting my GinaErick to a Ferrite core. Much more efficient and no need to go up in power supply if you go the Ferrite core route

9. Vitold-23

Vitold-23

It’s much faster with ferrite, the annealing time of WIN 308 takes 1,4 seconds, the sleeve burns out in 4 seconds. Next step I want to install a touch screen and control step engine but I don’t have any experience in programming..

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  10. Bad_Donkey

Bad_Donkey

I have decided to build one of the GinaErick annealers and have ordered most of the parts. I have a stupid question: Does the timer retain the previous settings after powering the unit off or do you have to re-enter each time?

Thank you Gina, Hollywood and all the others that contributed to the thread. I have read thru the entire thread over the past couple days, some of it was over my head though. Shouldn't be to bad of a build, but I am going to stick to the original basic design.

11. Vitold-23

Vitold-23

Yes

12. Bad_Donkey

Bad_Donkey

Is that a yes it retains the setting or a yes you have to re-enter each time?

Thanks

13. Gina1

Gina1

The timer does retain the programming information, even when power is removed. No question is ever stupid. Always best to ask it rather than stumble around.
    If I can help with your build, just ask.. Good luck.
    Gina

14. LR88

LR88

Sorry
    I bougth this solenoid (12v , chinese made) years ago from ebay
    it´s no longer available .
    but the power supply i used may be interesting for some builders :
    https://de.aliexpress.com/item/32951308066.html
    good value, and it came with two extra potentiometers for external mounting.

15. SGK

What volt/ammeter are you using?

Please post the results of your tests in the other thread here also! I think they are very important/interesting.

jthor likes this.
  16. Frog

Frog

Got my 1/8 copper tubing and 2 fans
    Waiting for some hose clamps
    I wouned up a coil and added the 1/4 inch copper tubing to it
    My annealer is now running at 8.1 amps on idle and around 11.2 amps with a 30-06 case in the coil for 4.5 seconds
    Again THANK YOU Gina for starting this post

17. Gina1

Gina1

;)

18. LR88

LR88

I use no external volt/ammeter.
    The measurements are taken by the microcontroller itself via a AD converter, and displayed on the screen.

19. SGK

Ok let me ask the question another way. What circuit are you using to sense current? The micro controller is presumably just doing the AD sampling of a physical circuit.

20. ottsm

ottsm

I used the following for amps; DFRobot Gravity Analog 20A Current hall effect Sensor
    It reads in the negative region so when you scale it you need to take this into account. They also make a 50A version. Other companies also make the same thing.

Simple voltage divider can be used for the voltage reading, if you don't want to make one yourself try this; Octopus Voltage Divider Brick
    It is about 0-80VDC, you will need to adjust the scale factor a little for accuracy.
    RobotShop.com has them if you are in the US

I used a single pole digital filter to smooth the signals out, it solves every 10 milliseconds (this is the "metro" interval object that makes programming easier). By taking a percentage of the old value and then adding it to a remaining percentage new value it will smooth any noise in the signal out.
    Arduino code would look something like this (at least I think I got it all);

#include <Metro.h>

#define Analog_Amps_Pin A0
    #define Analog_Volt_Pin A1

float Analog_Volt_Val = 0;
    float Analog_Amps_Val = 0;

Metro Analog_Inputs_Read = Metro(10);

void setup() {
    }

void loop() {
    if(Analog_Inputs_Read.check() == 1){
    //To smooth analog signals use a single Pole Digital Filter [out=wt*out+(1-wt)*new]
    Analog_Amps_Val = 0.50 * Analog_Amps_Val + 0.50 * ((analogRead(Analog_Amps_Pin) / 1023.0 * 5000.0 - 5000.0/2.0)/100.0);
    Analog_Volt_Val = 0.75 * Analog_Volt_Val + 0.25 * (analogRead(Analog_Volt_Pin) * 0.079101);
    }
    }

kit-808 and SGK like this.