Dismiss Notice
The forum will be undergoing maintenance for security updates on Saturday, Sept. 03, around 6pm Pacific. It is expected that the maintenance will cause an interruption in service for approximately 15 - 30 minutes.

IMR 4007 ssc

Discussion in '6BR, 6BR Improved & Wildcats' started by cmillard, Mar 23, 2010.

1. cmillard

cmillard Site $$ Contributor

has anyone tried IMR 4007 SSC in the 6BR with the heavy weights. i am looking for an alternative (to varget) single base powder to use for the heavies (107 +) bullets and want the powder to be equal to or a little slower burning than varget.

2. sewwhat89

sewwhat89

I have used it in short mags of various fashions. It is dirty until you get up to max loads, fyi. Good luck.

3. uncleduke

uncleduke

Have not tried in the 6BR. It's the powder I use in .308 for the 190+ bullets and the 7-08 with 168 bullets. It fits a niche between Varget and 4350. Not sure the velocity will be there. And yes it burns dirty until you reach higher pressure. I'm very pleased with the results for the two calibers listed.

4. TonyR

TonyR

I tried it in my 6mm BR with Berger 105 VLDs and it gave some of the best ES and SD I have ever seen with any powder but it was slow and dirty with the loads I tried. I found VV N540 with the CCI 450 primer to give the best results on the paper in my gun. I have a 31 inch 1:8 Krieger.

5. cmillard

i even thought about trying 4320 and 4064 for the 6BR. but i dont know how they will work as the kernal size is bigger and not a short cut or super short cut. if it weren't for the price, i would like to try vv n-140 and n-150 as they are also single base powders.

6. cmillard

tony, were you using a light or heavy charge when you got the dirty barrel? if you could, tell me a little more about that load. thanks.

7. TonyR

TonyR

Cole, I don't have the loading data handy because I can't access my old computer hard drive, but I was shooting a ladder with it with 3 shoot strings at each load up to a maximum so at least some of them were "hot." I didn't have QuickLoad at the time so I was probably working with a maximum load I got off the 6mmBR Cartridge Guide. I shot three ladders that day: Varget, RL-15, and 4007SC and the 4007SC was much slower than either of the other two but the ES and SD was the best. I hope that helps.

8. cmillard

thanks for the info--what barrel length were you shooting this out of and what kind of velocity were you getting? have you tried IMR4064 or know anyone that has tried it in 6BR? Thanks

9. TonyR

TonyR

My barrel is a 31 inch Krieger 1:8 .237. I don't remember the velocities but I believe that they were on the order of 100fps slower than Varget. I guess I should figure out how to access that hard drive. Lots of data in there and I am going to put the 6BR barrel back on the gun. I have never tried 4064 but most powders that work well in the 308 Win do seem to work well in the 6mmBR.