I'm getting a headache

Discussion in '6BR, 6BR Improved & Wildcats' started by Link, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Link

Link Silver $$ Contributor

I'm a backyard shooter but I am looking for what shoots best. I have a 6BRAI/panda, 6PPC/panda and a 30br. I recently bought several different ''lots'' of 105s and they are measuring .050 differences in ogive to base from lot to lot. I ordered more bullets for my 30br with .025 difference ogive to base. Now I'm reading about bad batches of powder.
    What next? I'm getting a headache. Maybe I will get a slingshot o_O

Rushty likes this.
  2. moondog

moondog Gold $$ Contributor

I'm thinking Archery

Bc'z and pirate ammo like this.
  3. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

Link,
    None of this is anything new. To be honest we have never had better stuff in general. And the groups shot today are smaller than they have ever been in the past. Reading about this stuff its is just a bit of knowledge to have in mind IF you start to fight a rifle, hopefully saving time and frustration.

carlsbad, rwj, Link and 3 others like this.
  4. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

Bowtech, or Hoyt!!
    20170823_105821.jpg 1 hole groups.
    20170817_081908.jpg keep in mind bows can be a bitch to tune also.

Don and joshb like this.
  5. moondog

moondog Gold $$ Contributor

I know, I use to shoot Quite a bit of archery. Always been a Hoyt boy when compounds came out.
    Before that, Golden Eagle Re curve, Herters Sitka,

Bc'z likes this.
  6. KMart

KMart Gold $$ Contributor

Ain't no amount of resizing going to take care of that. Maybe some duct tape and JB weld will work.

Bc'z likes this.
  7. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

LMAO, No sir it wont.

8. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

Wife just picked up the Herters Sitka at a GRage sale 20 bucks, gotta get a string twisted up for it.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  9. redneckbmxer24

redneckbmxer24

What bullets are you shooting? I've never seen anything like that personally. I got some of the new Hornady 88gr ELD-M's recently which the 20 bullets I pulled to check varied on bearing surface length by .005", B2OG by .006" and weight by .9gr and I thought that was bad enough that I haven't used them.

With Bergers I've never had more than .001" for those measurements but have seen as much as .002" OAL in one lot which is still above average for BTHP's. I've also never seen more than .1gr +/- weight difference in the 80.5gr Fullbores 105 Hybrids, 140 Hybrids, order 215 Hybrids.

Joining here and reading about some of these custom bullets from EPS and the like have my interest peaked, but you really don't see much feedback on them or BC's or anything. The feedback I have read has been 100% positive though which is a good sign.

dogdude likes this.
  10. alinwa

alinwa

Ohhhh Dude, bows are a bigger badder bitch than bullets! Trust me, tuning broadheads on a hunnerd ftlb elkwakker will give you the retractile testicles, you'll wish't fer a headache.....

farmerjohn, Bc'z and Link like this.
  11. Link

Link Silver $$ Contributor

I guess I will just pull my head out and get to work. If it was easy it wouldn't be rewarding. Back to the cave.
    have a good wk end.

Mulligan, Bc'z and joshb like this.
  12. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

That is great shooting! I've seen it before but that was a long time ago. I worked with a guy whose father went to the Olympics. He had a stack of those "one hole-two arrows" leaning in a corner. Just amazing shooting! Are you part Indian?;)

Bc'z likes this.
  13. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

I find that when ever Im working on tuning a rifle, especially the ones that are not cooperating, my interest is very high. As soon as they are tuned up and shooting good, I usually sell them, lol. Even though it can be frustrating at times the tuning part is what I enjoy. I cant remember the last time I went shooting for fun lol.

Bc'z likes this.
  14. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

Thanks
    No,but I use to shoot alot of tournaments. Pop up 3d's, Vegas shoots and the like.
    Way back in 97' I took 3rd in Oregon State indoor, fingers n pins.aka bowhunter freestyle.
    Strained my fingers last year had to switch to a release to keep shooting. Those 2 were shot a week apart. 1 hoyt,1 bowtech.

15. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

Yes sir, I agree .getting something to perform the way you want it to is the challenge .

16. JRS

JRS Gold $$ Contributor

Nah:)

17. jackson1

jackson1

Alex, like you I enjoy teaching rifles to fly. Unlike you, I regularly seem to regret selling any of my guns. I guess that why I have a number of them. I have reached the point where buying more guns would be a waste of time and money (for this week, maybe). My latest adventure is bringing old shotguns out to the trap and skeet range. Constantly asked if I would like to sell them. My answer is always no. The up/down side is, I have a number of rifles in need of re-barreling. I don't believe my old shot guns are better than today's, just easily unavailable.

JoeDuke likes this.
  18. natdscott

natdscott P100, HM, DR, experienced beginner. Silver $$ Contributor

At a certain point in their development, the intelligent archer stops aiming at nocks. For me, that was about 16, but only after my Dad made me buy him a new dozen 2413s.

Bc'z likes this.