.......I'll take BS for $300 Alex

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by Mark204, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Mark204

Mark204

So, this past week I was at my buddy's business and we were talking guns. I told him I purchased a RPR in 6.5 CM, when one of his employee's walk by hearing the 6.5 part of the conversation. With that the says he has one too, I stated that in the right hands 1000ys shots on steel could be possible, he said "No", 1800yds and that he can do it.

Naturally I wanted to hear more about this guys shooting platform, so I asked him what he was shooting. He stated a Ruger American, ($379 to $479) with a Vortex Viper 6x20-50. I asked him if he had a 20 or a 40MOA rail on it.....His response was "a what rail?"

I never called BS on him that day but I did run some numbers later. I have no idea what he shoots load wise but I know he gets his ammo over the counter, so I ran it with some 142gr Hornady match ammo. At 1800yds, if he's zeroed at 100yds, his bullet will drop about 1738 inches and will need a scope/rail combo that will allow him at adjust a tad over 98MOA.

Even if he could over come a holdover guess, I don't think he could adjust for any wind at that distance. As it turns out my buddy said the guy was in a LGS and saw a sign above the gun that read "Wanna Shoot 1800yds".

I like to give most shooters the benefit of the doubt, but I ain't buyin this one boys. What you think?

Mark

mikeinct likes this.
  2. GSPV

GSPV A failure to plan is a plan for failure. Gold $$ Contributor

Say “Cool!, when are we going to go shoot so that you can show me how it’s done”

3. wbm

wbm

Don't know what an LGS is....but thinking 1800 and doing 1800 is....well...different. My BS meter is high also.

mikeinct and simo hayha like this.
  4. milanuk

milanuk Team Savage Gold $$ Contributor

"Local Gun Store"

5. simo hayha

simo hayha

It's a real lazer bro...

Bully and mikeinct like this.
  6. boltman13

boltman13 Gold $$ Contributor

Is that yaho even aware that 1,800 yds. is over a mile. It would be interesting to know where he shoots so you could stay the hell away from it when he is shooting.

Shooter16 and mikeinct like this.
  7. Peebles24

Peebles24 Gold $$ Contributor

I want to try 1800 with my cm but my chances to hit i know are slim even with my tuned loads it goes sub sonic between 14 and 1500 yards. My loads run 2835 which is faster than hornady match ammo. I have a 20 moa rail and with all 50 the scope hase i still have to hold over a lot.

8. Kermit in Va.

Kermit in Va.

Should have asked if he had a "Necklace"...

maxscm, DirtySteve, snert and 5 others like this.
  9. Lefty Trigger

Lefty Trigger Silver $$ Contributor

Now wait, maybe he meant 1800 feet and you just assumed he meant 1800 yds,... and, AND maybe he can back it up on facebook!

10. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market

Some people have no idea how far that is. They've spent their whole life not knowing 6 inches from 2 inches! How could they possibly be a judge of any distance? Lol!:eek:

Seriously though...My shop is in the country and you can see for a long ways. I've had several people judge how far it is from here to different landmarks around me. Almost no one gets even close to right. Laughable estimates, right after they just tell me about their long distance prowess. Yes, I've been known to get them to guess after they tell me about their tales. They don't usually like a rangefinder, then.

Toolbreaker, simo hayha, JSH and 5 others like this.
  11. avidflyer

avidflyer Silver $$ Contributor

most wont get this

12. pirate ammo

pirate ammo Guaranteed to take the wind out of their sails Gold $$ Contributor

but a lot of us will, got to have the Talisman,,:rolleyes:

13. mikeinct

mikeinct

I'd have wanted to haul hiz dum azz to a thousand yard range..Set up a 12 inch sighter & a 4.5 inch disc...5 mins to sight in & play make um, take em for 5 bucks a shot...My BRX Vs his Credmore or less...mike in ct

14. 284winner

284winner Gold $$ Contributor

Doubt HE can make that shot but guessing the gun can. Long piece of real estate but with the right recipe, that cartridge will make the journey to the target. Obviously there are better choices.

15. mikeinct

mikeinct

I agree, I just don't own a 6.5 Creed...If he thought I was cheating. I'd break out the old 260 Rem AI...I like that one too..But it needs a new barrel or set back...Two hard seasons worth on it w my Nephew heating it up....Mike in Ct

simo hayha likes this.
  16. 69mach

69mach Silver $$ Contributor

Anyone in the know understands he is full of it, you done the right thing not making a scene in your buddy's shop although Ive been there and it's awfully hard not to call BS to their face

mikeinct likes this.
  17. Milo 2.0

Milo 2.0 Gold $$ Contributor

I sure hope you smiled through all this. But when has Hornady ever sold 142gr match ammo?

6.5creed, Mark204 and LA50SHOOTER like this.
  18. Mark204

Mark204

Ooop.....typo, 140.......didn't smile, but I did listen to him wearing the "WOW" face.

Mark

Milo 2.0 likes this.
  19. Milo 2.0

Milo 2.0 Gold $$ Contributor

I had to check,lol

Mark204 likes this.
  20. Mark204

Mark204

Sometimes that one little finner I use isn't in sync with my brain.........

Mark

pirate ammo and Milo 2.0 like this.