Ideal hunting rifle

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by 10xsllc, Jul 27, 2019.

1. oldhoward

oldhoward

Pick a cartridge and learn how to shoot it. I hunted everything with one rifle for 40 years, a Ruger 1s in 300 Win Mag. From dog towns to most African species they all fell. Hope that helps.

2. Capt. Oblivious

Capt. Oblivious

I have a couple rifles that I can use over here in the "dark continent" but when that safe opens and Im heading anywhere there is bush or bush and a bit of savanna it will be my 30.06 loaded with a long berger bullet. It has shot and killed most animals except the dangerous once over here without any trouble, I have taken animals with bullet weights from 125gr Nosler Ballistic Tips up to 215gr Bergers and just about everything in between.

Im thinking of doing a very short barrel 300WM with a small 1-4 something scope for real bushy places where close up work is needed loaded with something like a 200gr Aframe but a 30.06 will work there as well.

If your planning on any dangerous animals the 375s should be ideal with all the different bullet weights and constructions around

Barlow likes this.
  3. AWS

AWS

I ran a short barreled custom 1917 Enfield with a 1-4x20mm scope up in northern MN for years, it did it's best work with 220gr RN's. My trapping partner took it to AZ and hunted bear our of San Carlos but it was stolen from his apt., he thought it was the best bear gun he ever had.

4. Ohio Varmint Shooter

Ohio Varmint Shooter

This is an open ended and vague question at best....an argument starter at worst.

It's like asking which vegetable is best.