IBS Long Range Rulebook

Discussion in 'Competition Forum (All Calibers)' started by dmoran, Mar 19, 2016.

1. dmoran

dmoran Gold $$ Contributor

The new IBS Long Range Rulebook is now available to download.

It is located under Downloads on the IBS Website - http://internationalbenchrest.com

Click here for the PDF download ---->> Long Range Rules 2016

"Under the new Bylaws change voted in at the 2016 annual meeting allowing Global update of the rulebook, this Draft rulebook is effective immediately, and will be voted on after a period of one year."

UltraBR30 likes this.
  2. Torge

Torge Gold $$ Contributor

Thanks Donovan,
    Have you seen any changes that I kneed to know. I'll go over it tomorrow.
    David

3. tom

tom Gold $$ Contributor

Brand new, but the rest rules are the old wording. Lol, so now there is a min 1/2" clearance rule again. Now there isn't, now there is......, here hold my beer, watch this.... now there isn't!

Tom

Mulligan likes this.
  4. Joe Salt

Joe Salt Silver $$ Contributor

Tom I have a Hart rest, and if I didn't put spacers under it, under the old rules it would not pass. All the new rules say is the retainer doesn't count as long as the bag is over 1/2" thick which they usually are! No big deal. Who would want there rifle ridding on metal.

Joe Salt

5. dkhunt14

dkhunt14

I thought it still had to maintain half inch, but things outside the container like screw heads, stops and levels didn't fall into that category. At least that is what I took it as, when it was discussed. I measured my rails and relieved the container for 1/2 inch clearance. I did that years ago and even carried a 1/2 inch spacer in my shooting box. I didn't want anybody to say anything if I broke a record or won. Matt

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  6. JRS

JRS Gold $$ Contributor

"Any part of the rifle resting thereon must maintain one half inch distance from any part of the rest holding the sandbag on which the rifle rests".

7. tom

tom Gold $$ Contributor

That's what I read too (a minimum of). I was just looking to maybe print out the most current rules. So as when I volunteer to referee, I have some current and correct words to explain why you are disqualified lol.

Tom

8. BoydAllen

BoydAllen

This is the section, from the new rule book, relating to requirements for the front sand bag with respect to distance of the rifle from whatever supports the front bag.

"Any part of the rifle resting thereon must maintain one half inch distance from any part of the rest holding the sandbag on which the rifle rests. Wherever the rifle makes contact on its sides there may a maximum one half inch in height and a minimum of one half inch thick on each side. This does not apply to any devise holding the sand bags in place or any fore-end stop."

Frankly, I find the last sentence a bit confusing. A liberal reading would conclude that the rule contradicts itself in that hold down bars, used to clamp bag straps, but which also function to contain the bag front and rear, do not have to have a half inch gap between their tops and the rifle. Also, in the case of a multi- piece bag (which is allowed), the same interpretation could be used with regard to side bags. All in all, the first sentence seems to be contradicted by the last except perhaps with regard to the overall thickness of the bag. If on the other hand, the word supporting was used rather than holding the clarity of the rule might be slightly improved. If ones goal is to restrict the movement of ones front sand bag, it seems that multi-piece bags have an advantage under this rule in that the part that hold them in place can be as close to the rifle as wanted, as long as they do not touch. This would not be the case with conventional one piece bags, unless they were ordered with extra straps on their sides.

DocDoc likes this.
  9. JRS

JRS Gold $$ Contributor

The multi piece bags have to meet the same criteria.

After reading the rules for a 3rd time, I find nothing confusing about the wording.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  10. dmoran

Problem is, that is the OLD wording of the bag containment/top clearance rule.

It was changed before the 2014 600yd Nationals (by the IBS President), eliminating the 1/2" clearance between containment and the stock. And was a temporary amendment for 2015, that was voted as an official amendment in Jan., 2016. Here is the Amendment:

Amend rule book in Section VII.A.7 (Long Range) to remove requirement of 1/2" clearance between a rest's sandbag container/retainer and any part of the rifle. Replace with "A front sandbag must maintain 1/2" in thickness and must be the only means of support at the rifle's forend".

Donovan

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
    UltraBR30 likes this.
  11. JRS

JRS Gold $$ Contributor

That makes a difference!

12. Joe Salt

I believe the rule was changed because of the Seb rest were there are multiple bags!

Joe Salt

13. johara1

johara1

It is a draft……… there is a lot more wrong than those issues………. jim

14. Joe Salt

Know if you have a big a$$ sandbag that was not in a container and wraps up around the stock that would be legal!

Joe Salt

15. dragman

dragman Gold $$ Contributor

This is why I try and avoid most competition. it's all in black and white but yet you can get a different answer from every range master you talk too. and there is always someone to cry and complain if you win.

JRS likes this.
  16. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

Depends on the range. Most ranges are friendly and I know for certain everyone is happy for who ever win our matches. There are some whiners out there though.

seb and dmoran like this.
  17. dragman

I agree not all matches are like that, but when problems pop up it's such a pain in the butt. and the more people you get the higher your chances of attracting the problem children there is also.

18. dmoran

At all the ranges and matches I've been to, that is the common demeanor I see represented as well....
    For the most part, the whining I do hear and read about most always seems to come from one area, and about almost anything. Think they just don't know how to be happy, and only forms of being happy is at others despair, that live life selfish and with hate in there heart.
    Donovan

UltraBR30 and 6MMsteve like this.
  19. dkhunt14

dkhunt14

I look at it like this, Rules are made to level the playing field. If rules aren't enforced they don't care about a level playing field. Joe the rule about a big sandbag is only for a uncontained bag and I thought only pertained to the rear bag with ears. Matt

20. dragman

I agree that is why they are made, but they are usually over looked or inforced to benefit or screw someone. At least that is my glass half full warped view LOL