I need this air gun

Discussion in 'Rimfire & Smallbore' started by holstil, Apr 30, 2018.

1. holstil

holstil Silver $$ Contributor

Stevens308 and Mark W like this.
  2. Mark W

Mark W Silver $$ Contributor

It looks cool but costs a little much for me. Ive been on the fence wanting to buy an Airforce Condor SS. I’ll pull the trigger eventually.

3. steve123

steve123

I have one in 25 cal.

I bought it brand new, at first it was very disappointing, well it's a long story. It shot poorly but part of the reason was nearly every screw on the rifle was loose or just snug, fixed that and things were okay for a while. In the mean time I got the trigger weight, etc, adjusted nicely.

Then it started shooting poorly again, what now??? The barrel, which uses a finger tight screw was loose. It kept coming loose over time with as much torque as I could apply by hand. I use blue loctite on it now and use a leather strap and pliers to put a hair more oomph to the screw. I got that aspect figured out and no problems since.

The regulator failed, I sent it back to AOA for warranty repair, the reg failed again a tin later.

I was using FX no limit rings, bastards were slipping down over time gradually. It took me a long time to figure out this was a problem. I even put a HUGE amount of torque on them which didn't help. I modded them recently, hopefully they'll hold. I had taken some Burris Signature rings off another rifle to use for testing, the ones with the inserts, which were a bit to low.

Fortunately I'm friends with a good airgun smith. He modded and tuned the reg, modded the striker and tested everything he could. He also discovered the barrel was very leaded up and cleaned it good. He found a great pellet lube which has helped a lot and I keep the barrel clean now.

At his house I shot most 5 shot groups at .5" or less at 50Y with the JSB Monster 33gr and the rifle has worked well.

I think mine was just a bad one because Ted holdover has had great success with his, even winning the Extreme Benchrest match two years ago.

Conclusion - I'm happy with the rifle now, the way it feels as far as balance and ergos, how the cocking actuator is where it should be unlike how most bullpups are.

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  4. Ggmac

Ggmac

Look into the American tactical Nova , a PCP with a built in pump on the rifle . Ham did a test , pretty nice no pump to buy . $320

5. TerryH

TerryH Silver $$ Contributor

I love my modded Armadas but have never quite been able to let go of $2k for an air gun. FX certainly makes some nice stuff though.

holstil likes this.
  6. Rustytigwire

Rustytigwire Gold $$ Contributor

Edgun in 22 is unbelievable
    Daystate is good too
    Haven't had an FX
    Marauder is awesome.
    Airguns can be so quiet...
    Enjoy

holstil and TerryH like this.
  7. holstil

If you care to elaborate on any, please share. I know little about air guns except springers destroy scopes. When I saw the accuracy of this cool air gun, I immediately wanted one.

Steve, Thanks for the report.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  8. Rustytigwire

Im just not a spring airgun guy. Bought my first compressed air gun shortly out of the hospital. I was somewhat medicated and had just moved to a rural area but no room for powder burners.
    Local scuba shop displeased so now i had to have a compressor.
    Then i wanted a quiet gun, then the quest for accuracy.
    Pellets are upwards of 5 cents.
    Then i got an AR....
    JSB Barracuda green in 22 is accurate as are their other pellets.
    Shoebox compressor is good.
    Daystate air ranger 177 or 22 is satisfying, lots of shots.
    My friends 177 Marauder is awesome, get one.
    Heres my 25's.
    20130223174510_zpsa19b28db.jpg

holstil and TerryH like this.
  9. Rustytigwire

Holstil,
    Go to your profile page,
    Privacy tab, go down to the bottom, ck to see if you allow private messages.
    Took me a couple tries to find on mine.

10. holstil

I asked the forum boss about not showing PM option on my tab, he said it was a glitch on others end. Not sure what's up with that.

11. TerryH

Air guns in general and PCP guns in particular are a whole 'nother rabbit hole. I have a few PCP's but none of the high end FX etc... I fell in love with the look of the Benjamin Armada. I have extensively modded a few. My favorite is my .22. It has all aftermarket internals, valve, regulator etc... It is crazy quiet and crazy accurate. I have a compressor and SCBA tanks. Pumping it up by hand got old quickly. The Armada is the same action as the Benjamin Marauder with AR style furniture. The Marauder platform might be the most common and one of the easiest to mod guns out there. With everything I've done I can get 70+ good shots on a single fill. It is virtually silent.

My .22 Armada...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Booster compressor and SCBA setup...

[​IMG]

My back yard setup.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

70 shot group @ 41 yards.

[​IMG]

Like I said, this is a whole new rabbit hole and a deep one.

holstil and boltfluter like this.
  12. denwhit1

denwhit1 Silver $$ Contributor

Hello, I have a Kidde 2.4 cfm air compressor for sale. Comes with the "F" $1200 filters for fine air. email to dennwhit@gmail.com if you are interested. Now you can use the $75 expired one hour tanks!!!!

13. holstil

So, can you get accurate, quite, powerful in one gun that will last many years without crazy maintenance? Say $100/ yr

Trying to decide weather this route is worth trading a 22lr setup with sub sonic and suppressed for.

14. TerryH

You can put together a stupid quiet .22 or .25 Marauder with the trick valve, regulator etc.. for less than $1000. They shoot good stock so if that's good enough then you can get in for $500. No real cost to maintenance at all. The rub is how you are going to fill it. There are cheap pumps and they work fine but are a real workout if you shoot much. You are hand pumping to 3000 psi every time. Assortment of compressors but that means a substantially higher investment. Plenty of squirrel, turkey and such hunters are using PCP air guns. Check YouTube. Ton of vids there on them.

15. holstil

Thanks for the info.

TerryH likes this.
  16. steve123

steve123

The main problem I came across with 22rf's is that most of the time you have to buy good ammo to get good accuracy. Too me that meant buying Wolf or SK standard for $6 a box or so, and even then they will throw a couple shots a 50/box. Also depending what you expect for accuracy you'll have the best luck with a more expensive 22 rifle. I have a $600 Ruger Race rifle that averages 3/4 at 50Y with this ammo which wasn't what I was after. I've owned many 22's mostly match rifles and after a while I bought a very expensive Anschutz which I'm very happy with but the ammo I shoot through it was $13 a box 4 years ago. I don't shoot it much, it's pretty much reserved for matches.

Back to PCP's. They are just like any other rifle, you could luck out and get a great shooting one, or one that shoots just okay, or one that shoots poorly, it's the luck of the draw. Often the more money you spend the more accurate it'll be, but that's not always the case.

So far the best I've come across for the money is the FX Royale. It has a higher build quality and can be had used for $1000, maybe less. It's probably the one to get if you don't want to do any mods. One of my main things is buying a PCP with a fully floated barrel. It's okay to have a barrel band but just get it machined out so it doesn't touch the barrel or remove it. The reason why is temperature change will push the band to barrel, visa versa, and cause POI shifts which I absolutely hate!

I like shooting steel vs paper with PCP's. Paint balls are fun, match sticks, heck shooting bugs is a lot of fun!

Well once you get a PCP and the ancillary equipment it's only $14 for a tin of match pellets which means you can afford a lot of trigger time for cheap.

In case anybody is interested I have a FWB 800FT basic PCP I'm selling, just PM me for onfo.

17. holstil

Steve123 thanks for that info.

It looks like an investment into a charging station (bottles/compressor) will be significant. More so than the gun potentially or probably.

Off to more research.

18. TerryH

Great info on the Gateway to Air Guns forum. I have threads there on several builds, compressor, SCBA tanks etc... Same user name as here.

https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/

19. Rustytigwire

Like dirtbikes or anything else. Run it or mess with it. Cant do both. I have proved i can fix anything and get tired of tinkering and maintenance real quick. Mileage vs effort counts alot.
    Sure have fun getting to that point though.
    So much to learn, so little time.

holstil likes this.
  20. steve123

steve123

The other thing that is a bunch of fun is shooting long range and ELR with PCP's.

At a friends house we have spinners all the way out to 298Y. With our 25 cals we can hit the 7" diamond shaped steel at 298Y, if the wind is down that is. It's not easy though.

At 191Y on a 5" square we can get hits much more easily, low winds enable hits about 3/4 the time.

Even with our 20ftlb 177's we can hit the 135Y 3" circle with some regularity.

2 moa sized steel from 10Y to 80y are pretty easy to hit with our 177's/920 fps with JSB 10.3's, but these are with our expensive custom FT rifles. My good friend won the Ft Nationals last year with his Mac1 USFT!!! That thing is very accurate! I have a USFT too but his is the more accurate rifle.

TerryH and holstil like this.