I have quit my job.

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by matthias, May 24, 2019.

1. Texas10

Texas10 Gold $$ Contributor

In my experience there are very few jobs that pay less than self employment if you account for all the hours you put into it. But there are also very few jobs that are as rewarding as self employment. It's the very definition of the double edged sword.

Couple of decades ago while working for Lockheed I noticed a trend. We'd read about guys retiring after 30+ years and then 6 months later read their obituary. I took that as a forecast of my future and left to start my own business.

Sometimes we learn the hard way that "Life is what happens while you were busy making other plans", and that work related stress is by far the biggest determinator of our life span.

It's never a bad decision to walk away from a killer job, and on the up side you'll have plenty of time to relish your decision.

D Coots, thekriebles, rebel and 2 others like this.
  2. ebb

ebb

I had a friend that was crazy about Belgian Browning bolt action and BAR rifles and German Weatherby's. He bought and sold them and always made money. We talked about it and if done right it could have almost made him a living. With what you know, and a license, you might could play with the kids and be in the gun business too.

3. Papa Charlie

Papa Charlie Gold $$ Contributor

I have worked jobs that paid great, but I hated, I have worked jobs that didn't pay well but I enjoyed very much, and I have worked jobs that I was compensated well and loved. The bottom line, if you don't like what you do, life can be miserable. Quality of life is more than just money. I wish you all the best in your new endeavor.

D Coots, Bc'z and hogpatrol like this.
  4. Nick Caprinolo

Nick Caprinolo Gold $$ Contributor

I worked 32 years in law enforcement. Never got rich but knew that when I retired I would receive a good pension and continue to receive good benefits as well. I swore that I would retire as soon as it wasn't fun anymore. So in 1989 I retired. I worked at several jobs after I left, and they built up my Social Security. They were fun jobs s well. Those 32 years provided a lot of stress and a few broken bones but I wouldn't change a minute of that time except for the last year or so. Drudgery, eight or more hours a day, is tough to deal with. When you dread going to work, it is time to make some changes.

If I were you and could afford it, I would build a workshop at home and start off slowly to build a custom gunsmith business. You then you are your own boss and can pick and choose what and who you want to deal with. Your reputation will then bring the kind of work you can enjoy.

Good luck and happy times.

boltfluter and hoz53 like this.
  5. spitfire_er

spitfire_er Silver $$ Contributor

I'm planning on getting into rifle building for others on a limited basis once I move to a place where I can build AND shoot to test on the same property.

I'm fortunate enough to own another business with a job where I work about 20 hours a week and do OK financially. I also already have everything I need for starting, just waiting to find a property.

I also have 3 kids 5 and under and one on the way. Part of the reason I only work 20 hours at my business is to spend time with kids when they are little.

I also don't need to rely on any type of gunsmithing for an income. I'll pick and choose what I want to do and I have about a dozen people people waiting on me for builds. One step at a time.

The second gun shop I worked in used to repair garbage that should be turned into wall hangers. While I learned a lot repairing junk guns, I also learned that I hated it. The first rifle i built under a former BR shooter/gunsmith was until a few years ago one of my most accurate hunting rifles and that's where my interest lies. I can do as much or as little as I like. No need to take on another project to pay for something.

Only way I would take on general repairs again would be if I could justify hiring help that enjoyed that work and that employee would make it profitable. Tall order. I still do enjoy the occasional repair but its discretionary. Have'nt built or worked on anything for anyone else other than myself in the past 5 years though.

6. SPJ

SPJ Gold $$ Contributor

I currently have the best job in the world IMO
    As a Project Manager I build semi custom homes , my employer is an older self made guy from the land development side of the industry.
    I’m responsible for every aspect from dirt to doorknobs, from project concept to homeowner orientation.
    King of my own little world!

Unfortunately or fortunately depending on outlook I’m getting close to retirement with my sights set on a new life chapter in Montana, the question will be shall I try to find a part time job or just say screw it and sit on the front porch and widdle?
    j

Bc'z, joshb and gunsandgunsmithing like this.
  7. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Don't criticize the farmer with your mouth full. Gold $$ Contributor

I probably quit twenty or more jobs, got fired a couple times. I always left for more money because the BS is the same no matter where you work.
    Each individual is different but I've found that guys who enjoy the best retirement are the ones who, after they retire, can't figure out how they had time to work. :D

Last edited: May 25, 2019
    'Freak, CT10ring, MikeT49 and 9 others like this.
  8. pirate ammo

pirate ammo Guaranteed to take the wind out of their sails Gold $$ Contributor

That's like the marine industry,,follow the money,it's all doing the same thing.

hogpatrol and joshb like this.
  9. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

Montana? Fish till you tire of it. Then shoot till you tire of it. Repeat for a couple months then join a “Log Home” outfit and have some fun learning about something new but still close to your area of expertise. I was a Home builder and remodeler, too. Hands on, in the trenches everyday.
    I retired early. I lasted 2 weeks before I got bored. I used my building background to help others that were tight on funds. Worked at my Church for a few years. Redid kitchens and bathrooms for friends. It was very satisfying to stay busy helping others.

10. hoz53

hoz53 Gold $$ Contributor

i worked for over 40 companies in the last 20 years i worked. i liked the independence of being able to do that.

11. D Coots

D Coots Silver $$ Contributor

Excellent. The way it used to be. Today it's just a ME world, not much loyalty. I've had 2 jobs since graduating high school. Working on retiring from my business 54 years later. I wonder what my 401k would look like if I would have had 20-25 jobs? Accrued vacation, sick days, raises, and many other perks obtained by being a valuable appreciated employee. It's more than just about the money of this week's pay check.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  12. fyrewall

fyrewall

This is why our letters & stuff gets delivered.

13. snert

snert Gold $$ Contributor

I didn't quit my job...but I changed my shift to 3-11 and homeschooled my kids for 7 years. Then last 6 I was retired. All my kids are in college now, all on scholarships and it isn't costing me much at all, less than 10 K a year total. i wouldn't trade that time i spent with them for anything. They regularly thank me and my wife for doing what we did (she worked days so we went 7 years seeing each other only a few minutes a day) We do not regret it at all.

May God lead and bless you as you follow

14. SPJ

SPJ Gold $$ Contributor

I’m leaning towards Widdlin on the porch and telling grandkids to pull my finger:cool:

15. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

Dont forget the wind flags

joshb, JLT, MikeT49 and 4 others like this.
  16. perry42

perry42 Gold $$ Contributor

Best of Luck to you. I know your kids will benefit from your choice and who knows one of them may learn skills from you in making and assembling items requiring a machinists touch.

perry42

17. matthias

matthias Gold $$ Contributor

The bright side is I own all my tools , have my own shop at home ,and have plenty of good people I have met through the job.

In a few months I amay get an FFL and some Insurance and work for good people on interesting firearms. Only the stuff I think is fun. We shall see. Spent the whole day yesterday mowing the lawn and doing property maintenance with the kids . Good day overall

'Freak likes this.
  18. theallcineyes

theallcineyes

The moment what you do doesn't give you joy. ---Quitting is the way to go.
    One door closes and another one Opens.

Snuggie likes this.
  19. Paula Marie Hamilton

Paula Marie Hamilton Gold $$ Contributor

I have a 17 year old son, and I worked as a nurse, which I loved, then fate dealt me a blow and a favor. My foot popped off the clutch of an atv into the wheel well after hitting a bump going 4mph. I shattered my leg, but I have an autoimmune clotting disorder so a broken leg became a life-threatening event. I lived & saved my leg, but due to some complications I can't work. That killed me but in that time of self loathing I went trough I found a bright spot. I didn't miss school events anymore, when he was sick I could care for him. I was there for all the things I had been missing. It also allowed me to take him to shooting events I never would have been able to do. My accident, though deviststing to me, allowed me to spend the last 5 years watching and helping my son to become a good man. You have that chance without the accident, make the most and be there for all the moments you would have missed, this could be a gift, enjoy it.

20. snert

snert Gold $$ Contributor

My accident, though deviststing to me, allowed me to spend the last 5 years watching and helping my son to become a good man.

And that is the sum of the provenance of God.

rebel, Dgd6mm, Nick Caprinolo and 3 others like this.