I had to sign a waiver...

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by IdahoSharpshooter, Dec 2, 2019.

1. IdahoSharpshooter

IdahoSharpshooter Gold $$ Contributor

every year I watch "The Christmas Story" and Ralphie's ultimate present request; a Daisy Red Ryder Carbine.
    The December Blue Press came last week, and carried a two page story about Daisy's newest offering. They are producing an 80th Anniversary model, with special cardboard boxing.

We got good, bad, and great news. The good news, they list for $39.95. The bad news, they are a WalMart exclusive. The great news; they are on sale for $24.47 while supplies last. I told my wife that was what I wanted for Christmas, and she started laughing. First response: you're a little old for a BB gun, aren't you? Second response: you'll shoot your eye out.
    She caved in, and called the local Wally World. They had three. So, she sent me to the store to get one.

The sales clerk (young guy) has seen the movie a couple times, and has the classic response. "Before I can sell you this you have to sign a waiver promising you won't shoot your eye out...". Amazing, a Wally World employee with a sense of humor.

It is under the tree as I type, red candy striped paper and a red bow. Mine, mine, mine...

2. perazziguy

perazziguy

After all, Flick said he saw some grizzly bears near Pulaski's candy store!!!

Urv and joshb like this.
  3. centerlineseal

centerlineseal

You sir, ... are a confirmed rebroabate! Like the spelling?

4. Uthink Uknow

Uthink Uknow Gold $$ Contributor

I’m hitting Wally tomorrow.

SPJ and IdahoSharpshooter like this.
  5. 7887mm08

7887mm08 Silver $$ Contributor

Welcome to the Red Ryder club!

6. outasite `08

outasite `08

I saw them at w/mart last Tuesday.great big box sitting in the middle of an aisle. I bought two.Went back on Sunday to see if any were left after the Black Friday slaughter and couldn`t believe the box only had the top row empty. I would estimate maybe twenty guns sold including my two. I quess people here in Central Delaware don`t have the same affection for the STORY that we share. Most likely saving money for their Christmas opioids.

joshb and hogpatrol like this.
  7. Raythemanroe

Raythemanroe Bullet Whisperer Silver $$ Contributor

Surprised you didn't go for the John Wayne lil' Duke edition.. There is always birthdays

Ray

joshb likes this.
  8. Papa Charlie

Papa Charlie Gold $$ Contributor

I bought one back in 1985. Still have the box and the BBs that came with it.
    I use to set up a target in the garage during the winter and shoot it. Must have 5 or 6 BB guns. Rifles and hand guns. Helps to pass the winters.
    Make the target backs from a cardboard box, place several layers of old carpet in it and you have a target back. Use to use wadded up newspapers, but was hard to retrieve the BBs. Carpet is a lot better. When it gets too shot up, throw it in the trash can and make another.
    My Red Ryder is extremely accurate out to 25 plus feet. Not bad for a spring propelled BB gun.
    Good memories!

9. ngb1787

ngb1787 Silver $$ Contributor

Great American Movie! 155C1FB6-D855-435D-A70A-E9EE259605AF.jpeg

tcob68, holstil, joshb and 6 others like this.
  10. Lefty Trigger

Lefty Trigger Gold $$ Contributor

11. STOMP442

STOMP442 Gold $$ Contributor

I wish they would come out with a special anniversary edition of the 880. Checkered walnut furniture and metal receiver and pump handle. Now that was a BB gun! I wasn't sure it was possible to shoot the barrel out of a BB gun but I'm pretty sure I did it. I got mine for my eighth birthday and I am pretty sure I carried it daily until I was about 17 before it gave up the ghost. My job was to eliminate them pesky sparrows from the fruit trees and rabbits from the hay field. My dad paid me ten cents a bird. Needless to say I had plenty of money for BBs. Dang this thread brought back some memories.

holstil, joshb, muleystalker and 2 others like this.
  12. wa11abee

wa11abee Gold $$ Contributor

My memories my Red Ryder are not as pleasant. When I was about 9 years old the 12 year old neighbor boy would beat me up everyday on the way home from school. This went on for most of the school year until one day he followed me home and beat me up in the front yard. My Red Ryder was laying in the yard. (and having watched many westerns) I picked it up by the barrel and club him over the head with it. While him falling to the ground screaming gave me great pleasure, the strapping my father gave me with his belt will never be forgotten.

338 dude, joshb, Urv and 3 others like this.
  13. Drolds72

Drolds72 Gold $$ Contributor

Bet the 12 year old never touched you again.....

outasite `08 likes this.
  14. outasite `08

outasite `08

By todays standards you would probably just about be ready for parole.

joshb and Urv like this.
  15. Papa Charlie

We have all had those bullies in our life.

I was in early grade school, don't remember when, maybe 4th grade, big kids (maybe 6th or 7th grade) in the neighborhood took my bike from me. Went home and complained to my dad. He told me that it wasn't his bike and if I wanted it back, I had better go and get it.
    So I grabbed my baseball bat and went over to them and demanded my bike back. They laughed and of course told me no and to get out before they beat me up some more.
    Don't remember much after that, I just started swinging and before you knew it, all three of them were running down the street with me in chase. I can tell you this, it felt great!
    Just a part of growing up, because we will come across bullies who want to exert their will on us. We can let them have our bike or we can say no.

338 dude, tcob68, joshb and 1 other person like this.
  16. wa11abee

wa11abee Gold $$ Contributor

Sad but true and my father in prison for child abuse.

joshb and outasite `08 like this.
  17. steve123

steve123

RR's are great fun for Christmas parties with all your shooting buddies!

Cal Ranch had refurbs on sale for $19 about five years ago, so 10 or so of us went down and bought one each for ourselves.

Had the wood stove going, and various types of "aiming fluid ;)", as we call it, readily available.

WE created different games like man on man single elimination, and team events. The object of the game was to see who could drive their empty water bottles, empty pop cans, or shotgun shell hull's """off the edge of the concrete""" by continuous fire, as fast as possible. We used long boards angled inwards to keep the targets from getting too far to the right or left of the garage.

At times we laughed so hard we couldn't hit sh!t, it was hilarious because the reactive targets would do all kinds of odd things depending on where they were hit! You could hit an edge and knock the water bottle so far off to the side it would be hard to drive out and it could take 20 shots to get off the concrete. Sometimes you could hit the bottle perfectly and drive it off in two shots. Every relay was totally different.
    The most enjoyable moments were when one team or individual had their targets most of the way to the edge of the concrete, looking like they had the victory sowed up, then the other team or individual would get a lucky hit and knock their water bottle off getting the win!!!

The next year we had all modded up our RR's! Trigger jobs, putting 30 cal lead balls in the magazine tube, had installed a red dot sight and/or a laser sight, lol. Some more talented guys had even custom engraved the wood and checkered the grips and fore ends!

Let go of your more serious side and try it!

tcob68 and joshb like this.
  18. Nick Caprinolo

Nick Caprinolo Gold $$ Contributor

My Dad would have said "I'm proud of you son," then taken me out to buy a new rifle and some ice cream.

I just went down to my gun room and fondled my old Red Rider BB gun that my father bought me in 1948. I imagine that it won't shoot anymore. I might try to rebuild it if I can get the innards.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    joshb and IdahoSharpshooter like this.
  19. Riesel

Riesel Gold $$ Contributor

A Lot of Good Red Ryder stories here. Who was the Red Ryder?

20. Papa Charlie