I gotta show off the big eye binos I just scored

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by Lee in Texas, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Texas10

Texas10 Gold $$ Contributor

That was my first reaction :p

2. gunnermhr

gunnermhr Silver $$ Contributor

AT will not work, straight or angled. ATS on the other hand makes for a beautiful set of big eyes, but they must be straight, not angled

3. snert

snert Gold $$ Contributor

I recall the first time I used a set of married "Big eyes". All day on them scoping for groundhogs and seeing lots. End of day in hot sun, no headache. Epiphany! Don't have myown set only because of cost, but loved every minute of using them.

4. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd Silver $$ Contributor

Well - I don't see any mention yet of how well they function. Is the glass good? Do they do what you want?

5. dkhunt14

dkhunt14

Look at Kowa Highlanders. You don't need the Chromatic glass, the regular has a spectacular view. Great depth and low light. Matt

6. Woodchk

Woodchk Gold $$ Contributor

I have a pair made from the Spacemasters I use for woodchuck hunting love them .

7. VaRandy

VaRandy

The LAST thing you would want to do is buy two spotters counting on making them into a set of BigEyes. Some would not allow spacing to fit your eyes. Most would not work because you would not be able to buy or make the sophisticated frame to keep them collations. I have Swaro 65's in a frame not available for maybe 15 or s
    I am led to believe that only the current model of Swaro 80s can be utilized for Big Eye. Problem for most is the bodies are so wide that the eyepieces cannot be close enough together for your eyes. Do measurements all you want but good luck on finding the right mount for the job.

8. VaRandy

VaRandy

9. Lee in Texas

Lee in Texas Gold $$ Contributor

I have practically no experience using big binos, so thanks for the advice, Randy...no sarcasm.

This site is a gold mine for anyone who wants to learn.

10. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

EBFC1757-FEAD-413A-A299-2EF1F84A5270.jpeg 4E6C500F-4452-47E8-AB0B-C0C6041CF808.jpeg You gotta make your own mount or buy something like the kowas thats made together

Papa Charlie likes this.
  11. Willie

Willie Gold $$ Contributor

I quit carrying my 80 mm spotting scope while hunting @ 9,000 ft. last year. The thought, of carrying 2 + the bracket and the hd tripod they would require, sends chills up my backpack.