I Finally Drew Some Big Game Tags!

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by FeMan, Apr 4, 2017.

1. FeMan

FeMan CA Hunter's Ed Instructor Silver $$ Contributor

After 12 years of applying for rifle elk in Arizona as a non-resident, I finally drew a tag! :) Its late season bull in Area 27. I have never hired an outfitter in my 35 years of big game hunting but this time I did. I want to make this count. The outfitter said a 320 bull should be easy with possibilities above that, and possibly a lot higher. I'll talk more with the guide as we get closer but I will probably hold out for something bigger; hoping for 340 to 360 and willing to eat the tag.

What is more amazing is I drew Arizona antelope too. I drew area 19A rifle with only 5 points. It should have taken 25. A friend connected with a buddy that lives in Prescott and is an outfitter. He said we should be able to get an 85 to 90 B&C antelope as long as the rain keeps up.

I am stoked! I have been applying and building points in Az, Co, Wy, Nv, Id, and Ca for 10 to 15 years. It looks like I am finally going to get to start cashing in.

Just wanted to share. If anyone has hunted these areas and has any words of wisdom, I am all ears. Thanks guys.

370bc and Ledd Slinger like this.
  2. 6.5creed

6.5creed Silver $$ Contributor

No advice just congratulations!

3. Mark W

Mark W Silver $$ Contributor

Congrats on the tags!!

4. Ledd Slinger

Ledd Slinger Gold $$ Contributor

Congratulations. Shouldn't need any advice if you're using guides. Good luck :)

5. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Gold $$ Contributor

Good for you! Best of luck on that trophy. And post some pics for us too!

Practice, practice, practice.:D

6. JRS

JRS Silver $$ Contributor

The Northern half of Unit-27 is your best bet for both bulls, and cows.

7. FeMan

Thanks. I see on Google Erath they had a fire there recently. It looks nice.

8. FeMan

I'll be sure and post pics :)

9. FeMan

Antelope 2.jpg
    I am back from Arizona. I went early and scouted the entire unit. It was pretty small. This guy is the best I saw. Shot him on opening day. Had him at 1050. Decided I should move closer with the wind. Got to 550 but he wouldn't stand still. Got spooked and ran off. Snuck to 100 yards and plugged him. So much for all the LR shooting practice! I did get a Hog Saddle and tripod and was able to keep five shots inside 3/4 inches sitting with the setup. I ended up crawling up a berm and shooting him prone unsupported though.

Mark W likes this.
  10. brians356

brians356 Gold $$ Contributor

That's a nice trophy. Did you field score It?
    -

11. wapiti25

wapiti25

You did well! I hope your elk hunt goes as well.

12. Hydenseek

Hydenseek Silver $$ Contributor

Looks booner to me!!

13. FeMan

Thanks guys. He rough scored 81 3/8". With deductions and drying he won't quite go B&C. As I understand it after talking to locals on the hunt, the zone is getting annexed and developed so the F&G turned what used to be an epic trophy hunt into an opportunity hunt. The ranch I killed this guy on produced several over 90 inches every year a decade ago. Sad. Anyway, I cannot complain.

14. Huntschool

Huntschool

Nice buck. He may not have made B&C but he sure is nice. I must applaud your persistence on him. Old style, crawl and shoot prone.... Way to go.

Bruce A. Hering
    Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor (retired)
    Shotgun Team Coach
    Southeastern Illinois College
    SCTP Collegiate Coaches Chairman
    NSCA Level III

15. brians356

brians356 Gold $$ Contributor

Heck, anything 78 or better makes the Nevada record book. The state record is 95-6/8, with only eight pronghorns over 90 in the book.

Last antelope I hunted, I flagged him towards me, waving my bare hand, to within 75 yards. But he wasn't a wise old goat like this beauty.
    -

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  16. FeMan

I drew a Nevada antelope tag last year. Area 33 second rifle. Due to the drought, it was pretty slim pickins for any sizable headgear. My antelope scored 70 and change. Fun hunt though and some super remote country.