Hypothetical small rifle build

Discussion in 'Gear Talk: What to Buy? and Gear Evaluations' started by IndianaMatt, Apr 10, 2018.

1. NorCalMikie

NorCalMikie Gold $$ Contributor

All of my rigs are set up as or are single shot actions.
    (except my gas guns:)) The only way to go.;)
    The Savage action can be tricky to get set up to feed. .221 Fireball/20 VT? Fired case pops off the bolt head just before it hits the loading port, then just lays there. Solved that problem by removing the "ejector rod and spring" on the bolt head. Fired case stays on the bolt head till you pick it off.:cool: No chasing brass or trying to find them in the grass or dirt either.
    IMHO, the TCM is the way to go. Replace that stubby round nose bullet with a nice VLD HP.
    Going down to 20 is just something I had to try. Only problem is lining up the short case to get into the chamber. A smaller rifle action designed for that TCM IS the way to go. OR, a nice rolling block like a Martini or even something on the line of a TC Contender? :cool:

2. ebb

ebb

Ive wanted one for a while but just haven't started building one. Is there anything made with 223 brass that is fun and unknown to the most of the shooting world? Got a lot of 223 brass and one of the first posts is right 223 is just boring. Ive got a bolt gun and 3 MSRs.

3. NorCalMikie

Probably not. With all the .223 shooters, just about EVERYTHING has been tried. Set your mind on what you want and go for it.
    The reason I went with the TCM is because I wanted to see the holes forming in the targets without the recoil disturbing the site picture. So far, close but no cigar.;)

4. IndianaMatt

IndianaMatt

.22 TCM yea that looks fun. I like it

5. IndianaMatt

IndianaMatt

Ok guys this .22 TCM is interesting. Anyone have any experience with the Rock River bolt gun? I found one online for $355. I’m thinking play around with it then build off of it someday if the action is worth a hoot.

6. NorCalMikie

7. ebb

ebb

Big Joe on one of my other forums talks about a 20 TCM, and a 17 TCM.

8. ebb

ebb

7.62 x 40 WT or same case necked down to 6 or 6.5.

9. IndianaMatt

IndianaMatt

I’m going to start a new thread for the 22 TCM after I do a search and see what’s already been posted. I have some questions and believe a new thread is in order. Thanks for all your replies as always you guys have me something to think about.

10. jds holler

jds holler Gold $$ Contributor

Now that hornady is making brass, I think it's time to bring back the 218 Bee. -- 20 Bee -- 17 Bee.

The power level of the Bee is soooo sweet and mild, economical at around 12 grains of powder, very low noise and recoil, -- I'd love to see what one would do in a quality custom barrel, and hmmmmm, what kind of action.

With the new bullets these days, the Bee could be a whole new cartridge compared to the old loads. The old actions just don't work well with long bullets. jd

painter likes this.
  11. tesoro

tesoro Silver $$ Contributor

I have always wanted a bee or a fireball but wondered how much of a pita it would be loading/prepping those tiny cartridges. And esp considering the quantity you would use shooting at sage rats or rabbits etc. I kind of figured I would wind up not using it as much due to the loading hassle once the novelty wore off. And I couldnt imagine loading 17's! I cant even pick up a 17 bullet with my fingertips on a flat surface!

My favorite little cartridge is now the 20 practical. So easy to make so spend more time shooting them than messin with them on the bench or fire forming cases etc. Its notriously accurate as heck and mild. I once shot a true 4 shot one holer at 100 with 39sbk with my ar (I chickened out for the 5th shot). I think I was using 24.5g of benchmark 3880 fps. This would be closer to 4000 in a bolt. The powder cost isnt that much compared to the bullet cost - like 4 cents and 20 cents for that load. I was buying or collecting LC casings then swaging them and uniforming them. Good heavy duty even brass and inexpensive. I sold my upper because it was chewing up the bases of my pretty brass and I was able to get about 5 firings out of one otherwise. I would like to build one in a bolt with another 3 groove pacnor and call it good.

Attached Files:

12. jds holler

Looks like with a little work, ya might get that thing to group. :p

I've been shooting and loading for the same Bee for over forty years now, and it's still one of my favorite go to guns. I think I've got brass that may have been fired by Jessie James.

It's really not a hassle to load for, and the case is thicker and more durable than Hornet brass. The loading port is shorter than I'd like for 40 gr. V-Max, but I can crank out sub inch groups now and then. It's never been my best grouper, but I've probably extinguished more squirrels and jacks with it than any other rifle. Prolly thirty or forty coyotes also. Great calling rifle. jd

13. tesoro

Well thats great to know. I have always been intrigued by it. Something happened that made it get over shadowed by lesser cartridges. Of course its not the first one to have that happen.

What rifle/action do you use for your bee?

I just realized I didnt see the first page of this thread when I posted.

For guys looking for a 'different' small round there are some variants of the bee also that havent been mentioned..the wasp, donaldson, zipper, mashburn and probably others.

Or how about necking down a 22 TCM to 20 cal?

14. jds holler

My Bee is an old Winchester 43, 1950's vintage like me. Round count on that rifle would be somewhere around a bazillion. At one time, I had 1000+ brass for it. Now--maybe 500.

I shoot IMR 4227 @ 12-13 gr. depending on the bullet. I think with the little 35 gr. V-Max it's pushing 3000 fps, but 40's and 45's are probably lower by a few hundred. I think the mild load accounts for barrel longevity, and for me this rifle is made for sub 200 yard shooting.

I'd love to have one made on ?? I don't know what action, with a good custom barrel, with attention paid to throat the chamber for more efficient bullets. These old rifles were designed for pretty primitive bullet designs, actually blunt for lever guns. COAL needs to be longer, and ejection port to fit. jd

100_5158.JPG

painter likes this.
  15. tesoro

Ah shute that pic just did it for me. If the wx is good im headin out to your country within a week! I have a 22 annie arriving friday and need to initiate it on some squeaks. And then my 6.5 on some chucks and dogs.

I heard the savage actions are pretty easy to convert over for a bee. If you dont mind savage. Is the bolt face and mag of a hornet workable for a bee?

That old 43 winchester is a classic!

16. jds holler

If you're coming over here, ya better get on it. The alfalfa is growing fast, and won't be long till the squirrels can hide. I think weather is good this weekend, especially since I'm gonna spend it moving my Ma in Law up to K Falls. :( I was driving along H Way 97 this morning, and a field had probably 50 chucks out grazing within a couple hundred yards. It's right on the highway so no one shoots there. Now is the time. jd

17. tesoro

I'm comin in a week!

18. jds holler

By the way Chris, I saw these gals this morning just north of Fort Klamath near a spot I was delivering to. jd

IMG_1774.jpg

19. tesoro

I was told those giant white assed rocks chucks are good eatin.