Hunting Turkeys with Crossbow

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by theallcineyes, May 13, 2019.

1. theallcineyes

theallcineyes

Can you turkey hunt with a crossbow and is there and thing different i need to know for crossbow hunting,such as shot placement. I've never turkey hunted but am planing to give it a try. can someone recommend a good instructional video ?

2. Olspark

Olspark Gold $$ Contributor

B5D3463B-D237-411B-98CF-08EEDD243573.jpeg Crossbows work real good for turkeys. A Rage brodhead was used on this one from a ground blind. Ground blinds near edges of fields that they inhabit are a good idea because it allows a little freedom of movement that you need with bows or crossbows. Some decoys and any instructional tape/video on calling will help.

theallcineyes likes this.
  3. theallcineyes

theallcineyes

Anyone know if i have to check my local laws for this ?

4. 284winner

284winner Gold $$ Contributor

A crossbow is legal in my home state so it qualifies as a legal means of hunting anything with a current license during archery season for deer or any other game. I'm hunting turkeys with a bow this year. I may even take out my crossbow one day this season if I don't sit in a pop up blind. Center of the wing( broadside) , center of chest or center of rear end (facing away). All killing shots on a turkey with a broad head arrow. I've killed birds from all three with a Magnus broadhead tipped arrow.

5. XTR

XTR

Local laws vary widely on X-bows. Many states treat them like rifles and they may not be legal for turkey where you are. A whole lot of archery hunters don't like them and push against them. When I was in MO about 3 yrs ago they were changing the laws to allow x-bows in deer season. You should have seen the postings from the anti x-bow archers at the entrance to the walk though range I was using outside of StL. You'd have thought that they were intentionally introducing chronic wasting to the deer population. (Personally I don't care one way or the other, I have both.)

Here in NH not only are X-bows treated like rifles for deer season, but you have to get a separate hunting license to use them, even during rifle season. Haven't looked at turkey hunting here yet.

On the other extreme, in TN it's just archery, you can use a X-bow any time you can use an upright including turkey season.

6. pirate ammo

pirate ammo Guaranteed to take the wind out of their sails Gold $$ Contributor

and if you have the right bolts,you already have a spit to cook it on.:rolleyes:

mikeinct likes this.
  7. timeout

timeout Silver $$ Contributor

Which state are you hunting in?

8. theallcineyes

theallcineyes

Delaware, turkey hunting season is over but i want to know for future purposes.

9. timeout

timeout Silver $$ Contributor

theallcineyes likes this.
  10. 284winner

Here's my Northern Michigan turkey. Shot this morning. Used a Carbon Express F14 broadhead. Shot with a Barnett FX III Pro crossbow at 28 yards.

Attached Files:

11. Bojo

Bojo

I shot a bearded hen 2 years ago.
    42 yards broadside thru the wing area.
    100 grain 2 blade rage.... put a serious wound tract thru her. The impact sound seemed way louder than when shooting a whitetail. I wound definitely turkey hunt with an xbow again.
    To all the archery purists out there that bash xbow , I can understand it to a point.
    I only know 2 guys that archery only with long or recurve bows and one of them makes his own bows. That guy has room to rib others. The other archery purists I run across are not using smooth bore muskets during gun season, they seem to fancy a centerfire with optics. I have used both compound and xbow to take deer. Both have advantages and disadvantages. So I say to each there own, just get out there and hunt and enjoy your time afield.

12. 284winner

Most states seem pretty liberal about crossbows today. When Ohio was the only state with a legal crossbow season ( for all hunters, not just handicapped), I was glad it wasn't in my state. Seemed kinda like cheating. Kinda like a short range rifle. All the work is done once the deer is close enough for the shot besides pulling the trigger. I shoot a bow during the regular archery season and crossbow in the late December hunt where I can be in a heated blind. More of a meat hunt with a doe tag. I've come a long way in my thought process about crossbows. Never been against them just didn't care to shoot one. Today when temps get way below freezing, I'd much rather be in a heated blind. Crossbows are the answer to keeping me in the woods during archery season.