hunting subsonic???

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by alinwa, Dec 6, 2018.

1. spencerhenry

spencerhenry Silver $$ Contributor

Not even close to 10,000 feet of elevation that day. NOT EVEN CLOSE.

You do not count up AND down. Doing 4000' of elevation in a day is going up 4k and down that 4k, that is NOT 8K!
    I shot that bull with an arrow, I gutted him and propped him open and ran the 5.5 miles to the trailhead the last half in the dark, my vehicle was not there, it was two drainages over where I started 4 days earlier. I called a friend from there and he gave me a ride to my vehicle. I spent the night in my vehicle and in the morning we did 2700' and 5.5 miles to get to the bull, deboned, caped and packed out.

2. spencerhenry

Wow, I almost don't know what to say. But, here goes anyway.

First, you don't count up AND down, it is the net change that gets counted, net is the difference from where you started to where you stopped.
    Second, If you think the area around Aspen is not steep, get out a map.
    Third, Who the hell hunts with a 50 pound pack? That is ridiculous. A 50 pound pack is enough gear for me to live for a couple weeks. My "camp", sleeping gear, pack, survival gear, and such is 13 pounds. Food is in addition, but I run a calorie deficit when I am in the woods. I don't carry a refrigerator on my back. My entire pack for a 3 or 4 day hunt doesn't start out at 50 pounds, I might have done that once and learned it didn't work.
    Fourth, boning out an animal does NOT hurt anything with the meat, by the time you are done, there is not much blood to drain. It does NOT make meat bloody.
    Fifth, I think there is a ton of "estimates" in your numbers. Estimates don't add up to anything more than guesses.

I have weighed packs on several occasions, I have seen big barrel chested burly guys struggle with packs that weigh well under 100 pounds. 150 pounds? Been there done that, for short distance. I packed my bull moose by myself in 4 loads, only a half mile. Swore I would not do it again, my hips and knees didn't care for that much.
    While I am not in as good of shape as I was in my 30's (could run sub 5 minute miles at 6000' elevation), I can still hold my own. I have never been passed on a trail, I am often the smallest guy in the group and usually have the biggest pack.
    So yes, 4000' per day for more than a couple days is BIG TIME. Come try it sometime. My camp used to be at 11,900', the car was at 10,400. No trail, and only about 1.5 miles horizontally.
    Here is one I remember, scouting for deer in 2011. Carrying overnight gear and food, and a rifle for coyotes as well as spotting scope and big binoculars. Conundrum hot springs from the trailhead, in late July in mid afternoon. 2 hours 40 minutes. Off the top of my head it is about 8 miles, I don't recall vertical but a guess would be about 2500 to 2800. Find a map, tell me you or you buddies could do it without a pack in less! Conundrum hot springs is south southeast of Aspen a few miles.

Maybe doing 15,000 vertical in a day is possible at low elevation, but most of my hunts start at 9500' and go up from there.

3. alinwa

alinwa

Ok..... I'm done embarrassing myself. We probably never done it anyways..... just middle-aged maunderings and wishful memories of a misspent youth.... And way off track. Suffice it to say that I spent some glorious time in the Eagle Cap Wilderness with friends. And elk hunting is hard. And it ain't a race, we hunted long days and it's amazing how much ground one can cover in a day. I never hunted above 8000 ft altho some of the guys did go off on a 4-day jaunt across the Minam, that put them up higher, where the deer wandered into camp and sniffed the gear.... I guess my brother and I did top out China Cap peak at 8600 and change, but pretty much just went up for the view....... before trailing back down to camp at around 4700ft. I've never hunted where it's hard to breathe.

And besides, you just told me elevation only works one way so..... anything I DID guess at needs to be cut in half to meet your specs.

As far as hunting with 50lb being stupid? no comment I guess.

SO.... Here's a pic of some of my rounds! 20181210_173156.jpg

I've neither a chamber reamer nor a die! This is still a project in it's infancy. I got a 7.5" twist Rock and cut the chamber with a boring bar. I've never even neck-sized the cases, just knocked primers with a punch, fired them "fitted" and a couple of those in hand have been fired 20-30 times.

I'm excited to go stick the barrel back on and get back after it now that it's winter again...... HOPEfully my failing memory has made it MUCH WORSE than it actually was..... and the recoil is HALF what I remember......

:)

4. alinwa

alinwa

Who made your mold Spook? I had mine done here in the states at 875gr but my buddy set up with a guy in OZ for a 950gr mold..... I dasn't say he ever ordered it though. I haven't heard. That's a good looking bullet.

5. alinwa

alinwa

OK.... I've really got to know what you mean by this...

??

Town is 2 miles away. I walk to town to get a sody pop and bring Mom back a dozen aigs, I say "I walked 4 miles"

YOU SAY I only walked TWO miles..... something about "net change"???

I say that whether I walked up 2000 feet and back down 2000 feet. or walked two miles into town and two miles back home is the same thing..... (except I'll take distance over elevation any day! We dreamed of the day we could afford to hunt where the flatlanders go.... like New Mexico) because we could walk all day on flat.... heck we could RUN all day....

I need to know what your "net change" means....seriously. You're deriding my figures as stupid..... I gotta' know.

6. sdean

sdean Silver $$ Contributor

Al there is a guy on YouTube shooting a 50 Alaskan suppressed. Recoil doesn't look like much on a TC contender I think. I have the big Lehigh seated in a 50 Alaskan case or might cut down a SAUM case to use. But intend to do one next year. For whitetail deer and hogs.

7. spencerhenry

I stated what net means, very clearly.

8. SPJ

SPJ Whoops !! Gold $$ Contributor

I'd like to read another story Uncle Al;)
    But Net Change through me for a moment also, so let me see if I have this right.
    You have a mountain say 1 million feet tall and you climb up than down, your NET climb is 1 million feet however your total distance travelled is 2 million feet...
    Is that about right??

9. old_heli_logger

old_heli_logger Gold $$ Contributor

Jeez gents, let it go already.
    Let's hear more about subsonic ammo and recoil...

10. beemanjohn

beemanjohn Silver $$ Contributor

No kidding! This thing started out with a guy talking about shooting some OMG big azz bullets and turned into one of those "I can run up a mountain faster than you" Pi**ing matches. Put the ego's on hold guys.

mrjdasr and ND shooter like this.
  11. alinwa

alinwa

I guess ;)

This must be where the phrase "2 steps forward and 2 steps back" originated. I guess I need to learn the Hunter's Hokey Pokey

gunsandgunsmithing and SPJ like this.
  12. alinwa

alinwa

Soooo, anyone know of a source for cheap bullets? Like 750gr military bullets? The cheapest bullets I've found for testing powders are the Barnes lathe-turned solids. And a lot of my testing right now is weight-related only. Some of the rime I'm not even firing at a target. If I could save a buck a bullet for that.....

13. alinwa

alinwa

I THINK that's with lighter bullets..... Lighter bullets make the system into a pussycat, for instance the 450's will work in an AR. I also have some Sharps rifles in 50cal and the same thing..... loads go up to 450gr.

It's the big bullets that start to bump. Like an 1 1/8oz trap load VS a 1 3/4oz goose load.....

14. Jesse Gietzen

Jesse Gietzen

absolutely love this project, al. i've been pondering a very similar one (won't be started for a long time, though) eyeballing the 750 grain rex from maker bullets and/or the 700 spitzer from hawk, although i'm not sure how the hawks will perform at subsonic velocities. haven't decided on parent case yet.

15. alinwa

alinwa

Parent case is kinda' hard unless you go with rimmed... I tried WSM, Jeffery, .378Wby and settled on the 338 Lapua so I could make a headspacing shoulder

Jesse Gietzen likes this.
  16. wedgy

wedgy Gold $$ Contributor

As you know these subs are like lobbing in artillery once you're past ~100 yards or so. This guys shoots air guns at starlings up to 150 yards and has the scope with a gear box on top and the yardage listed on the turret that's pretty interesting. He's got some pretty entertaining videos too. He's won some air gun BR championships as well. Scope is an MTC Viper Pro 5-30×50

17. alinwa

alinwa

I love that guy :) and his diving videos are equally entertaining

18. SPJ

SPJ Whoops !! Gold $$ Contributor

BED65C69-291F-4471-A8CB-960E3A263015.jpeg I had an opportunity to shoot this subsonic 308 today, she’s sporting an ATN (iirc )scope with night vision , built in range finder , wind speed , incline and a can so the neighborhood doesn’t get weird on him. (What they can’t hear don’t bother um:cool:)
    My buddy uses this for coyotes that come around after the critters so I had to try it, well it shot pretty darn well at a hundred yards.
    So that’s my un scientific review of a subsonic 308

Attached Files: