Hunting clothing

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by Miril, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Miril

Miril

Hi to all, I am a newbie!
    I need new clothes and I don't know what brand should I choose?
    Any suggestions?

Elmi likes this.
  2. jimbires

jimbires Silver $$ Contributor

if possible I like to look at it , and try stuff on before I buy , especially boots. I usually drive to Cabelas . I can usually get what I'm looking for .

3. JSH

JSH

Kind of a wide open question.
    What are you hunting?
    Where are you hunting or going to hunt?
    Don't figure on setting a fashion statement.
    How old are you, I ask because we seem to swell with age. Buy larger than what just fits. It seems there is more nylon and plastics in gear today than in years past. So they may shrink less than some of the early cotton based materials.

I have read and still read on the thoughts of camo patterns and what game can and can't see. When some one gets a critter to the optometrist and communicates with them I would like to know the final word. Not trying to be a smart alec, but look back just a mear 60-80 years back. Most guys clad in wool, black and red. Some of the largest critters were shot by people with NO camo.
    Maybe folks were better hunters back than, maybe more critters?
    I have always stored all of my gear out of direct sunlight and usually in a foot locker, not a plastic tote. I have pants, jackets, shirts that are close to 60 years old. Still very serviceable, a large majority are BDU's from the 60-70's.
    I won't mention but one brand I am loyal to and have just a few articles, Filson.

The rest, other than the BDU stuff was more than likely bought after season on clearance.

As mentioned above, try before you buy. Mail order is nice,easy and some times cheap, but a royal pain to return. And, if you have to return that bargain could turn into a worst deal senereo.

Washing gear. Way before all of the soaps and cleaners, all I ever used was plain old baking soda and cold water. I may tumble them in the dryer just a bit to knock the wrinkles out but much prefer out doors.
    Scent absorbing clothes. Folks must smell worse than they used too? I will semi quote a fellow, never wash your hunting clothes till after season. I have left gear out in the rain and then air dried outside.
    You can't work on the car, fry bacon and eggs, and fuel up on the way to your deer stand and expect not to be "busted" even up wind.

Figure what type of weather your going to hunt in and go from there. Dress in layers. If it's to hot when you leave, it may be dang cold when you head back to camp or your truck. Take extra, all of the wishing will not make it appear. If you have to much on, you can always peel some off.

Good boots!! Don't skimp here ever, or you will pay for it over and over. I see a lot of guys proud as a peacock of their $88 boots they bought the week before season. Opening day is not the day to break them in.
    Red wing and Mindel are my favorites. I prefer leather, but have some new cordura for this year I am going to try out. A good pair of boots should last many years. I had a pair of red wings that went through 5 seasons of rough bird hunting. They failed when the leather wore through at the toe.

Mine is for sure not the final thought. It should give you somthing to chew on.
    The main thing have fun, stay warm,dry and comfortable. Hunting has absolutely nothing to do with coming home with a full bag. Some of my best hunts I came home empty handed.
    Jeff

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  4. Immike

Immike

Browning rain gear is excellent, lots of pockets. Buy a size larger for warmth and comfort.
    Wear a fleece lined hoodie under the jacket for Cold weather work with quality long johns.
    I wear quilted bibs for below freezing to keep the heat in. Loose clothes are much warmer!
    Fleece gloves are light and warm, I buy them off season and by the dozen. Carry dry spares along.
    Wool socks rubber boots keep my feet warm and dry if stand hunting. Only wear leather for walking because of the scent of leather.
    I have 2 back packs depending on the hunt and needs.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    billlarson likes this.
  5. varmintshooter

varmintshooter

+ 1 on the good boots. Sometimes a lite weight set of camo coveralls that can be worn over your clothes can be great and a cheap way to get started. Most of the critters don't care how much you paid for hunting clothes so you don't need to spend a lot unless you want the best.

Mark W likes this.
  6. msinc

msinc

I use Kennetrek boots. Meindl are good too. I had a pair of them, but I believe the Kennetrek's are better. Just remember that both of those outfits DO make wide sizes. If you need wide definitely order it. Most of the folks that sell these boots want you to buy what they have in stock. I was told by sellers of both that "they don't come in wide sizes" and it was total B.S.
    Sitka gear is nice and it performs well, but it is high dollar. I have one Arc'teryx jacket that I really love, but then loving it could have something to do with what I had to pay for it.
    The best clothing for the money, bar none, has to be Rivers West. I have several items of theirs and again, for the money you cannot go wrong. Whitewater Outdoors and also Columbia is really nice stuff too.
    I think for most folks hunting gear can be broken down into two different types, what will work hunting behind your house and what you would buy to take on that hunt of a lifetime. All of the above mentioned brands are all stuff I would not hesitate and/or have taken to Alaska.

JSH likes this.
  7. Knotwild

Knotwild Silver $$ Contributor

Since you are new, why not go Naked and Unafraid until you get some experience. Just joking.

Pick your clothes based on what you like for everyday life. If you like 100% cotton, go with it, if you like jeans cut - go for it. Lace up, pull on? Buy quality. And if you find something you really like, buy more than one, it probably won't be on the market long.

8. onelastshot

onelastshot Gold $$ Contributor

Iy all depends on what type of hunting you're going to be doing and what type of weather you're going to be faced with. There are 101 different options.

9. JSH

JSH

Flannel lined denim jeans are nice. I think with the new compression long johns they would be even better.

msinc likes this.
  10. CharlieNC

CharlieNC

Wool or synthetic. Cotton absorbs moisture and is slow to dry, meaning you will freeze (think towel). Instead of absorbing, synthetic wicks moisture away from the body to keep you dryer plus the garment drys much faster. Using polyester and nylon, there are many branded gimmicks promising superior performance that simply isn't real, especially after the topical treatment is washed off. While nice for casual lounging, cotton is poor in active wear.

Immike likes this.
  11. Knotwild

Knotwild Silver $$ Contributor

It depends on where you hunting/living/personal preferences. I am in the southeast and I love cotton, but our climate is mild. I wear cotton everything and I have found the cut of the clothing and the quality of the cloth makes a huge difference. I personally hate the feel of synthetics and wool makes me itch like crazy. Each person is different and if I lived/hunted where it was really cold, I am sure my views would be very different.

seymour fish and Immike like this.
  12. msinc

msinc

Yes sir, I am a big fan of flannel lined denim jeans for cold weather and yes, I have worn them with some of the different grades of Under Armor long johns.....I did not come close to getting cold. That combo works perfect.

13. savagedasher

savagedasher Gold $$ Contributor

It would help if we knew what type and where your going to hunt . Bug tamer is great here . Larry

14. ryanjay11

ryanjay11 Gold $$ Contributor

OP is clearly a scammer.

Pretty good answers though, considering the absurdly vague question.

15. oldhoward

oldhoward

Walmart has good selection in most stores.

16. msinc

msinc

Could you please take a quick moment to explain to us exactly how asking this question is "clearly" scamming???? I am very impressed that someone could pick up on this as a scam...I will be even more impressed after you explain how or what the OP intends to scam out of us....maybe.
    I freely admit, I can be slow to pick upon things sometimes, but is it possible we don't reckon "scamming" the same...I thought {must have been mistaken all these years} that scamming involved someone losing something to another in some underhanded way. The OP, "absurdly vague" that he is, has now lined himself up to take what from us????? I feel like I need to call the police, but I am not sure what to tell them....please help me out here.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  17. Ledd Slinger

Ledd Slinger Gold $$ Contributor

I like the Cabelas Instinct line of clothing because they come with a no fault lifetime warranty and aren't priced nearly as bad as brands like Sitka. You accidentally tear them or damage them in any other way, Cabelas replaces the item no questions asked. I also like to wear layers for when the temps change throughout the day. A good high quality set of packable rain gear is a must for just about any type of hunting. I have used Browning lightweight packable rain gear for many years now and don't hesitate to say they make a very high quality product that will stand the test of time.

As mentioned before. Dont skimp on boots! Buy the best you can afford. I love my Kenetrek Mountain Extreme 400 gram boots. They took a while to break in, but after that was done, I think they are probably the most comfortable boot I've ever worn on rugged mountain terrain. Excellent foot and ankle support, amazing traction, and the waterproofing is on a whole 'nother level compared to other boots. Expensive, yes. Worth it? Depends on what type of hunting you do. For the high country mountain hunting I like to do, the Kenetrek Mountain Extremes are worth every penny.

Kenetrek also makes some of the best leg gaiters I have ever worn. Every bit as rugged as their boots. Pretty comparable in price to other higher quality brands of gaiters, but the Kenetreks will last much longer.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  18. Kenneth66

Kenneth66 Gold $$ Contributor

Didn't read through all the replies . But here is my two cents . Get what ever pattern cammo is good for your terrain , as to how much value you put into cammo I think is up to the individual . Only you can decide how much of it you need and how much you want to spend . As for staying warm , if that is an issue I can tell you from a lot of personal experience in the outdoors , that layers are the key . Experience will teach you how much you need according to the temperatures you're going to hunt . I have worked and hunted in a lot of nasty weather , sometimes the gain is not worth the pain , but again , only you can know when enough is enough .
    I have tried a lot of different patterns and types over the years , critters are hard to figure , sometimes it seems you found the answer and then get blown out of the water .
    Biggest buck I ever killed was in jeans and a half ass camo jacket , the whole season I had hunted hard for a couple bucks I had seen , cammo head to toe , scent cover , that morning I was in a hurry and just jerked on a pair of jeans and old jacket as time was limited , hunted to the top of the mountain and the shot presented itself .
    Also , when I was a kid , noone wore cammo and there was a lot of deer taken .
    So it is something to ponder , but one thing is for sure , it can't hurt nothing but your wallet .
    Kenneth

19. ryanjay11

ryanjay11 Gold $$ Contributor

It is pretty common practice for scammers to create an account, then make a few posts that are either super vague questions, or simply agreeing with another person with a short response, such as "I agree", "right on" or some other non-response. The reason the posts are short is they do this on hundreds of forums and don't have time to put together a post that is even relevant to the forum.

This is the entirety of the OP's contributions on the forum:

It's especially bad on facebook, where the majority of the comments on news/high profile companies posts, are nonsense like the OP's. He'll likely make a few more posts like this, then try to scam people via PM. Most folks won't look at his post history and think he's fine because "all shooters/reloaders/like minded folks" can be trusted.

Call me paranoid, but I see right through this person's nonsense.

20. msinc

msinc

Okay,I understand....I don't necessarily believe you are paranoid...you just may very well be spot on. What would be his next move to actually scam someone????? Are you saying this is like a "confidence" move????