How much throat wear is too much? 6BR

Discussion in '6BR, 6BR Improved & Wildcats' started by Lefty Trigger, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Lefty Trigger

Lefty Trigger Silver $$ Contributor

Just did a random check with all my bullets and have found that the throat has worn by .020 across most of my bullets with some more or less. I bought this barrel used with a reported 800 rounds and I have shot about 550 to 600 more through it. Some of the bullets at lands are now 3/4 of the way out of the neck, is it at the end of life?
    The barrel is a Criterion 28 inch stainless bull.

2. 10at6

10at6 Silver $$ Contributor

sounds about right for the round count

3. SPJ

SPJ Silver $$ Contributor

Not .020 that’s wrong as two boys kissing
    I have over a thousand rounds with barely.006 throat erosion
    J

4. ShootDots

ShootDots Gold $$ Contributor

If you run cases hard, with double based powders, barrel life will shorten significantly. I had a Dasher that loved VV N540, which is a VERY hot double based powder. I ran it pretty warm but it shot excellently. I got 1600 rounds off that barrel and it nosedived into the toilet! I knew N540 is a hot powder, however, I thought that with only 33.0grs of powder, it would not eat up a barrel near as fast as a larger case. I was mistaken! So, if you can find out what powder and loads were on that barrel before you got it, you can get a better idea of what went on.

AckleymanII and SPJ like this.
  5. Lefty Trigger

I'm not completely sure that I was told the truth on round count before I bought it, so its anybody's guess at this point. Right now with a Sierra 107gr MK my COAL with the bullet at the lands is 2.412 and when I first bought the barrel it measured 2.393

6. tmwinds

tmwinds Gold $$ Contributor

Are you using the same bullet you originally measured with?

mikeeg02 likes this.
  7. Dgd6mm

Dgd6mm Silver $$ Contributor

Lefty, use the search function (Throat Erosion). A lot of information on 6br and it's variants. I personally think depending on powder, charge weight, string rate of fire if you are .005 or less per 100 rounds, your doing good. Like they say YMMV. There is other things also like barrel, etc.

8. SPJ

Sierra 107 will vary in lot numbers.010 easily BBTO
    I’ve had .686
    Then .677 in the next box with the same lot number

linedrive301ft, Mark W and Dgd6mm like this.
  9. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Double round count on a used barrel so youre not disappointed. Even if it was right its still shot out. They grow fast once you get to that point. But to answer your question, as long as you have some bullet left in the case neck and it shoots- keep on moving

Dgd6mm, comagutsa and SPJ like this.
  10. Sheldon N

Sheldon N

Sounds about right. Criterion is a button rifled barrel too, so that factors into it.

11. Lefty Trigger

Yes, I save one from the start and keep it with the modified case. Some of my cases have 1 or 2 bullets with them and some like my 308 have about 11 bullets saved.

tmwinds and SPJ like this.
  12. Lefty Trigger

I think I'm going to see if I can find someone that can set it back for me. It's a really nice 28 inch barrel and I suppose loosing a bit wont really hurt me. A bunch of great shooters in our club are shooting Savage's stock 26 inch barrel.

13. NorCalMikie

NorCalMikie Gold $$ Contributor

That's history. No use looking back now.
    Time to think about getting a new barrel of maybe a set back if the lands are still sharp. Probably best $$$ wise to go new and have it cut/chambered to YOUR specs.?
    I start with ZERO free bore and the lightest bullets I can get. Just at or jammed into the lands. Go heavier as the throat wears. That way you know what's going on from day/round one.

AckleymanII likes this.
  14. Lefty Trigger

I agree,... new barrel has been ordered! Got a stainless 8 twist Shilen on the way. Still looking for someone that can cut and set back my original. Lesson learned on buying a used barrel without knowing any history on it.

15. Evan

Evan Gold $$ Contributor

I don't know the details of how you got the barrel, but getting 600 good rounds down a used barrel is hardly a sore deal. Maybe keep it and have it set back to something new and fun. Could turn it into your fireforming barrel for a Dasher, BRX, BRA, etc.

243BR, NorCalMikie, SPJ and 1 other person like this.
  16. Northridge

Northridge

this statement cracks me up, I've Recorded fast and slow barrel wear from all major brands and small for that matter regardless of button pulled or single point cut

Shawn Williams

DocDoc likes this.
  17. dfry

dfry

Well, I will ask, how does it group at 500-600 yds. Every rifle is different but my previous Krieger on my 6BRX, seemed a little soft, and the throat eroded rather quickly. At about 1800 rounds the throat pretty much stopped eroding, but I was at about .085 of jump with my 107s and they were just barely hanging in the case. But the rifle just kept hammering and at about 2200 rds I managed a 40X match at 500. The thing was still shooting In The high 590’s at 2600 rd with .095 jump and I decided to pull the barrel. Yeah pushed it to long, but was curious to see how it would act and when it would die.

So all that to say, check to see how 107s will shoot in your rifle with a lot of jump. Also, I have quit chasing the lands in my match rifles and just keep the load in the node by adding powder as needed. But then again, I’m just a sling shooter!

Dave

ShootDots and Dgd6mm like this.
  18. powderbrake

powderbrake Gold $$ Contributor

I have a fairly new Krieger barrel in 6BR and the lands wore .001 in about 350 rounds.

SPJ likes this.
  19. Straightshooter1

Straightshooter1 Gold $$ Contributor

Hmmm??? Interesting. When I went to change out my .308 factory barrel, I thought about changing to smaller, faster caliber. I decided to stay with the .308 from Krieger. Now, after 1380 rounds, the lands hasn't moved (maybe .0005) with velocities in the low to mid 2700's. This thread prompted me to take a look-see, and am surprised it's moved so little. I know .308's don't wear as fast as something like a 6BR, but maybe that's saying something about the Krieger SS barrel???

20. SPJ

I’m curious how the rifling process would effect throat erosion.
    Could you expand on your post please?
    J

Mark W and Dusty Stevens like this.