How long can you get a 7mm or .30cal Barrel..?

Discussion in 'Big Stuff--7mm, 30 Cal, .338+' started by RallyFan, May 16, 2020.

1. RallyFan

RallyFan

Hi folks,

Just trying to inform some options for long range and F-Class.

Just how long can you get a 7mm or .30cal Barrel - I’ve searched on the forum and can’t find the answer.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

2. 7mmmag

7mmmag Silver $$ Contributor

I have a 34 1.250 strait 7mm 1 in 8.7

3. std7mag

std7mag

I hope to order a 30" tube in 7mm from Stan Taylor at Douglas soon.

4. jackieschmidt

jackieschmidt

Last year at Phoenix, I asked Lester Bruno if he had any 9 twist 7mm barrels. Ed Bernabeo wanted me to get one for him. He said he had a 35 inch long 1.250 Krieger Blank that a shooter had ordered and backed out.

He even gave me a good price.

I just bought a 7mm 1.250 straight blank from A fellow shooter on this Site.it will make a 32 inch long barrel.

5. 1shot

1shot Silver $$ Contributor

I buy nothing but 33" blanks but I'm sure if you ask some of the bbl. mfg. companies they could give you the answer to your question.

Lloyd

RallyFan likes this.
  6. std7mag

std7mag

While i have several E.R. Shaw barrels, and am pleased with them, they will only go to 26". :(

7. Kurz

Kurz

I can get 36" as a standard length (+addl cost) and 40" from another supplier when he answers the phone. I even have an original Lilja which is 40" in .30 caliber.:eek::)

RallyFan likes this.
  8. paul castelli

paul castelli

The raw steel bars come from the mill as either 12'( SS) or 20'( alloy) +/- a wee bit as a rule unless otherwise specified by customer. Last ones I sold were SS 148" mins. per customer.
    Max barrel length will be dictated by the makers drilling/ rifling/ turning capabilities.

RallyFan likes this.
  9. davidjoe

davidjoe Skunkworks Gold $$ Contributor

I have not found the length quite yet where velocity plateaus. My barrels in Fclass taper after 5 inches. from 1.5” to 1.0 at 36”. The Surgeon XL action tenon is longer and wider than in most other actions to permit this. Roughly 55% of the F open weight limit.

Last edited: May 21, 2020
    Zero333 and RallyFan like this.
  10. F Class John

F Class John NRA Life Member Gold $$ Contributor

Any length is possible but you still have to make weight. 22lbs (f-open) sneaks up on you pretty quickly for every inch of barrel you add and you’re really limited if you’re asking about .30 for F-T/R (18.2lbs?). Plus none of that’s factoring in any possible points of diminishing returns with an ultra long barrel (transport, harmonics, cost, tuning, etc...).

RallyFan likes this.
  11. rardoin

rardoin Silver $$ Contributor

Longer than 32" will usually require a taper or you will have a balance issue that can't be corrected by adding weight toward the rear without exceeding weight limits.
    @davidjoe can shed some light on this as he runs some pretty long barrels in F-open. I used one of his 7 SAUM's at the BSN's and it had a 35" barrel that was tapered to 1" at the muzzle IIRC. It was balanced well and shot very well.

davidjoe and RallyFan like this.
  12. davidjoe

davidjoe Skunkworks Gold $$ Contributor

My max length barrels weigh 12 pounds 3 ounces, about 55% of the 22 pound F-Open limit. The extra length is for velocity. There’s the gun side and the shooter side of matches. On the equipment front it’s been an intriguing challenge pursuing points by adjusting the variables, fighting wind while still preserving accuracy and brass life. A load may be pure overkill for 600 yards with no net gain over a milder shooting option but shine at 1,000.

Here’s a phone pic my son shot showing the kind of velocity, 2,419 FPS at 610 yards, that’s about as high as I’ve seen. I think he shot a constant hold and there is a nine but the rest were X’s.

upload_2020-5-23_11-33-22.jpg

RallyFan likes this.